Fender Retubing, wattage mods, 6v6s, - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender Retubing, wattage mods, 6v6s,
Old 6th February 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Fender Retubing, wattage mods, 6v6s,

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about retubing two amps and I need some advice. Twin Reverb RI & Hot Rod Deluxe (green emerald edt w/ Vintage 30).

As for the TWIN, I'm interested in that little mod that involves taking out some of the tubes and making it work with half the wattage. What do you know about this? Which tubes to remove? Does this it alter the tonal character of the amp, or does it just makes it sound better at lower volumes? Also, wich tubes sound better to you with TRRI (half or full wattage mode)?

For the Hot Rod, I would like to have a good clean sound, but I would like it to sound better at lower volumes too and I would like it to break uo earlier (& gradually) into mild overdrive. Is changing the 6l6s to JJ 6v6s a start? I read something about this and it involved dummy plugs in the ext, speaker exit... How to do it correctly and results to expect?

thanks a lot & take care!
Old 7th February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
This covers the twin issue:

Removing power tubes - Interesting facts about tube amps

As for the Hotrod, switching to 6V6 could potentially be a problem, because most 6V6 tubes cannot handle the same plate voltage as a 6L6/5881.

Why not just get a power amp attenuator, such as a THD hotplate?
check this out:

"pretty much have the same HRDx, texas red edition with V30, put in JJs 6v6 tubes, really love 6v6s have them on several amps, the other 6v6 wont handle the plate voltage of the HRDx, so just be thankful we have something, I put a dummy plug in the extension speaker jack, this causes the amp to go from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, which is what you want for the V30 running 6v6s, its not required, but it makes the factory bias setting work fine with 6v6s biasing is pretty easy JJs has demo video, you need a multimeter, or as I said just put a dummy plug in the extension jack and the factory bias works great.

the tubes were around $35 for the pair shipped so would not worry about being screwed in the deal, dummy plug was georgeL jack I had laying around, could be anything, just don't cut off the end of a bad cable, you might short the dummy plug, that would be bad. "
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…