Help! 68 Fender Bandmaster speakers - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help! 68 Fender Bandmaster speakers
Old 30th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Help! 68 Fender Bandmaster speakers

Hi all:

My first of what I hope to be many posts!

I have a 68 bandmaster head, and had a custom closed-back 2x12 cab built for it a few years ago. The builder threw in a couple of cheapo speakers in there, and I finally have the wherewithal to get new ones.

Question is, what nominal impedance do I look for in speakers? I've looked around, and can't find any info on what impedance rating my head has.

As an example, I was looking at the Eminence Wizards, but they come in either 8ohm nom imp, or 16.

What do I do?
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
The AC568 schematic specifies two 8Ω speakers in parallel, to give a total load of 4Ω. There are a couple of variables to take into account, but the quick answer that you probably won't have any problem with is to get a pair of 8Ω speakers.

If you want to get into the esoterica of it, Fender might have made changes to their output transformer at the time, and the more optimal answer might be to get a pair of 16Ω speakers to make an 8Ω cabinet. The reality is that the number isn't quite critical, as long as you keep it within a notch. So, 4Ω or 8Ω cabinets are both likely to work just as well.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a '68 Twin that had Celestions in it when I bought it. It really sounded like ass, and among the things I did to it to get it in good working order (new tubes, recapped), I replaced the speakers with Jensen C12Ns.

My repair guy said that Fender amps really don't do well with the wrong ohm load - they want what they ask for. The difference for my amp was like night and day. I'm not sure if this will apply to your Bandmaster, but it's something to think about.
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My bandmaster cab has Jensens in it. I'm not sure of the model number but they are the right speakers (original but re-coned) for a bandmaster head. The head does not sound good through my Marshall cab.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…