Quantcast
new member/pickup selection help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new member/pickup selection help
Old 29th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
new member/pickup selection help

Hi all, this is my first post on this site. Ive been around lurking in the background and reading many of the threads about gear selection choices. Recently bought a preamp for my studio based on a number of threads I read, seems like a great community.

As for my question, I am currently looking to replace the neck pickup of one of my guitars. The guitar in question is an Epiphone Alleykat, a small bodied, semi-hollow electric with a mini-humbucker in the neck and a 57 classic humbucker in the bridge. Right now, the bridge pickup suits my needs for a pickup to use with overdrive (I have a visual sound route 66 pedal which is a ts-808 copy). For clean sounds, I really love my strat neck pickup, which is a dimarzio area 61.

My problem is I really only want to use one guitar live, and the strat is rather thin to fill the sound of the band for most of the time. So I want to replace the neck pickup in the epiphone with a new pickup (i hate the minihumbucker that is there, is sounds really muddy and indistinct).

The problem is the mini-humbucker size is an odd size, so I am trying to find something to put in there without having to modify my guitar, which rules out any normal humbuckers and p-90's. I would like a nice clean bright neck pickup, something with a bit of bite and maybe a little twang. I was thinking of a tele neck pickup, and was wondering if anyone ever tried putting one in a mahagony body guitar.

Or any other suggestions for pickups that would fit in that slot. I dont particularly care about how it looks, sound is the most important. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 30th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
P90s and mini-humbuckers are exactly the same size meant to retrofit, no mods to the guitar needed.

story (i think anyways...) goes something like when gibson bought epiphone way back, they "inherited" a slew of epiphone's mini-humbuckers, meanwhile gibson had a stock-pile of LP bodies routed for P90s while they were really mostly using full-size humbuckers across the board. So to make it mesh & be cost effective, they molded a plastic ring around the mini-hums so they would fit exactly into the already existing P90 routed bodies. The LP deluxe shows (R) the best example of this, 2 mini hums where it may originally have been routed to be an LP Special (L) for 2 P90s.

see:

i.e. you can rock a P90 w/o modding.

Also fwiw my main guitar had(has) P90 routes, and while I love P90s I couldn't use them on my main guitar for all tones. I bought a mini-humbucker (bridge, from Jason Lollar...craaaaaazzzy good!) and dropped right in. I've also tried going back to P90s once or twice since, and swapped back & forth numerous times and it's just a drop-in.

It's the same route. unless there's something very different about the route/mount on the Alley Kat. It does look a tad unique having googled an image...tough to say. So please disregard if it's a no-go/one-off wierd mount...

Hope that helps...

In light of that, (if you can) try a P90. That could be the thing. Such an awesome pickup, especially in the neck.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…