Quantcast
Egnater Rebel 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Egnater Rebel 20
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Egnater Rebel 20

Heya, folks. We recently had an Egnater Rebel 20 head dropped off at the studio to play with, and man that thing is smokin'. I used it to track rhythm guitar for a heavy stoner rock band, as well as the leads, through an old late-60s/early-70s Marshall cab. In both applications it sounded great.

So now I'm wondering where else I might try it? Did I get lucky, or is the thing as cool as this past weekend's session suggests? If anybody's got any experience with these things, and has some cool/useful tips or sounds to go for, I'm all ears!
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

For poops and tee-hees, here's a clip of one of the tunes we did.

Sorry for the mp3, it's all I got on my home laptop. The Egnater is on the left side, a Mesa Triple Rectifier is on the right. The leads were all done with the Egnater...it's a lotta amp for $500.

I've gotta post-rock/indie/whatever-you-call-it band coming in this weekend, so if anyone has any hints or tips before then, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
Attached Files

2009.01.25 Meat Charger Mix 1.CD.mp3 (3.99 MB, 4190 views)

Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just got mine today,literally hours ago .Musicians Friend took $65 off instead of giving me $65 towards gear bucks,which is the current deal they are running.Egnater isn't listed so you have to use the "ask" code (thank you tax return and x-mas gift certs)

I'm not really a guitar player but noodled with it for a while.I can't believe it pushes a 412 cab.My guitar kinda sux and needs new strings,but i was pretty stunned by some of the sounds i was getting from this little thing.The manual says "this is not a toy" NO JOKE.Dayyum.

For me is was up between the Egnater,the tiny terror,Hughes and kettner, and a few others.The Egnater seems more flexible to me than the others i was checking out.

Anyway there are a few videos on youtube showing different tones.Check em out.

The youtube videos don't do this amphead justice.There's a video where the guy makes it sound horrid(maybe it's the camera).I got way better sounds from my **** guitar and the suggested settings in the manual.There was one video on there of a guy doing some ac/dc GNR and a few others with a Les Paul copy i thought was decent,But now i can't find it.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto ➑️
Heya, folks. We recently had an Egnater Rebel 20 head dropped off at the studio to play with, and man that thing is smokin'. I used it to track rhythm guitar for a heavy stoner rock band, as well as the leads, through an old late-60s/early-70s Marshall cab. In both applications it sounded great.

So now I'm wondering where else I might try it? Did I get lucky, or is the thing as cool as this past weekend's session suggests? If anybody's got any experience with these things, and has some cool/useful tips or sounds to go for, I'm all ears!
very good, I've been thinking about getting a tourmaster for some gigs I do, and I was curious about the rebel for the studio. It seems to do the ultra heavy thing great, very cool for a 20 watt amp
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm between this and a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. The Egnater seems more flexible and people seem to be digging the tone.

any more experience here?

thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvetstudios ➑️
I'm between this and a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb. The Egnater seems more flexible and people seem to be digging the tone.

thanks.
Interesting that you are deciding between these two. I was in the same boat. I am going to get both. I got the Egnater Rebel 20 today and LOVE it. Great for recording.

The Fender couldn't be further away in tone. It's a Fender. The Egnater is different. You can justify having both. The cleans rule on the Fender. The OD and distortion will be better on the Egnater. I need both.

1000th post. Woo hoo!
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks.
I've been using the thing like crazy, and the past couple weeks I've cut some clean-ish stuff, some very modern, post-rock overdrive stuff, and some very classic rock tones. The Rebel 20 killed in every application. I wish I could post some examples of that stuff, but it's commercial-type stuff and I'd get in trouble.
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
oh man - now I'm really torn - it's gonna be one of the other for now and I'm looking for good clean tone - so maybe it will be the fender afterall...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Got mine a couple of months ago to compliment my Tiny Terror. Fantastic sounding amp. It is indeed not a toy. I use it with a 2x12 Marshall 1922 cab. It covers all the bases for me, from clean to semi-dirty to full blown balls to the wall.

It takes pedals very well too. I have 4 different OD's i.e Xotic AC booster, BB-preamp, Blues Driver w/Keeley mod and a T-Rex Alberta. I can get many different tones with these pedals and the Rebel 20.

Highly recommended.
Enjoy.
T.

PS- I tried the Rebel 20 with the matching 1x12 Egnater speaker. Not too impressed. I also tried it with the Orange PPC 112 cab and it was much better.
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm thinking of the egnater rebel 20 with either

the Orange PPC112 Guitar Speaker Cabinet...

or

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 ext cab

thoughts on those?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm thinking of the egnater rebel 20 with either

the Orange PPC112 Guitar Speaker Cabinet...

or

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 ext cab

thoughts on those?
The Orange cabs are nice. I believe they use V30s so you can also consider an Avatar cab with those (or a mix) and get a great cab for decent money.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought a Rebel 20 w/matching 1x12 cab a month, or so, ago - it's turning out to be a great recording amp. I cut some guitar tracks this past weekend and am really pleased with the results - some of the best tones that I have gotten at my home studio. I replaced the stock speaker in the Rebel 1x12 with a WGS Reaper, which sounds much better to me than the original Celestion Classic 80. The Rebel is very loud, so I am pairing it with an attenuator for recording/bedroom playing.

I can recommend replacing the stock Sovtek 12AX7's with good NOS tubes - the Sovtek's sound too harsh. If you want more headroom, drop in 5751's or 12AT7's.

- Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just as I was getting interested in this amp, Egnater puts out the Rebel 30. Oh boy!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Does anyone think this will be a good live amp? I loved the sound in the studio, but is 20 watts going to be enough for live gigs. I'd say about half the gigs the guitar is miced up, other half its all amp. Do any of you play or know people who play live with 20 watts. I know these amps are knew but are people moding them yet. Is it worth putting more power in one of these or should I be looking at the rebel 30?f
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
hey guys-

thanks for all the great info.

I bought it on my way home from work tonight - hooked it up and it is AWESOME! I'm playing an american standard tele through it and it's a marriage made in tone heaven.

I'm not even using a cab yet - I'm running DI via the Koch Loadbox ][... also sweet (as it does both DI and attenuation - and can do both at the same time!).

I don't know about using it live but it's a great studio recording tool. Running it through the Koch I can dial it in right at my desk while monitoring. Genius.

this is one of those tone moments where it feels like I can't hit a bad note.

can't wait to get a cab. either a semi-open back avatar with a v30 or an orange ppc 112.
Old 22nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just got back from trying one at the Nashville GC. My my my. It is next on the list
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu ➑️
If you want more headroom, drop in 5751's or 12AT7's.

- Chris
5751's are a better idea. AT7's aren't the same as AX7's (aside from the gain value) whereas 5751's are, just 70% of the gain. I'm not sure what the AT7 might do to the amp, and I don't want anyone to find negative results.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For poops and tee-hees, here's a clip of one of the tunes we did.

Sorry for the mp3, it's all I got on my home laptop. The Egnater is on the left side, a Mesa Triple Rectifier is on the right. The leads were all done with the Egnater...it's a lotta amp for $500.

I've gotta post-rock/indie/whatever-you-call-it band coming in this weekend, so if anyone has any hints or tips before then, I'd be much obliged. Thanks!
That is without a doubt the best example of what this amp can sound like. Most sound clips you hear on the internet aren't doing the manufacturer any favors - this one rocks. I'm sure Bruce would love to have a clip of this on his site. Maybe he'll give you a free amp!thumbsup

Nice job
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorhifikit ➑️
That is without a doubt the best example of what this amp can sound like. Most sound clips you hear on the internet aren't doing the manufacturer any favors - this one rocks. I'm sure Bruce would love to have a clip of this on his site. Maybe he'll give you a free amp!thumbsup

Nice job
Wow, thanks!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hey guys-

thanks for all the great info.

I bought it on my way home from work tonight - hooked it up and it is AWESOME! I'm playing an american standard tele through it and it's a marriage made in tone heaven.

I'm not even using a cab yet - I'm running DI via the Koch Loadbox ][... also sweet (as it does both DI and attenuation - and can do both at the same time!).

I don't know about using it live but it's a great studio recording tool. Running it through the Koch I can dial it in right at my desk while monitoring. Genius.

this is one of those tone moments where it feels like I can't hit a bad note.

can't wait to get a cab. either a semi-open back avatar with a v30 or an orange ppc 112.
congrats on your purchase
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
WOW! Which routing and mic did you used for guitars?
Old 22nd February 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I used it to track rhythm guitar for a heavy stoner rock band, as well as the leads, through an old late-60s/early-70s Marshall cab. .
Any way you could post a clip with just the Rebel 20 side playing?

I'm mostly heaing the Triple Rec.
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➑️
very good, I've been thinking about getting a tourmaster for some gigs I do, and I was curious about the rebel for the studio. It seems to do the ultra heavy thing great, very cool for a 20 watt amp
Don't you have a Randall RT2/50 with RM4 rig? ... C'mon man, that rig isn't too heavy to gig with! heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax ➑️
Any way you could post a clip with just the Rebel 20 side playing?

I'm mostly heaing the Triple Rec.
Just mute your right speaker!heh

Seriously, though, the guitars are hard-panned, so the left channel is Egnater-only. Those leads are Egnator-only as well.

As far as the recording chain, as I recall it was a 57 and a 421, each into a 1272, to PT. Then for the mix, it was a little bit of API 550b EQ on the sum of the two mics, and that's it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow the amp looks great and designed for recording!

What happens to the tone when you lower the wattage? Is there a powersoak in the amplifier? Usually powersoaks also suck some of the tone of the amp.

I am considering either buying some sort of powersoak for my Bogner or just buy a smaller amp just for recording. This thing looks tempting.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg ➑️
Wow the amp looks great and designed for recording!

What happens to the tone when you lower the wattage? Is there a powersoak in the amplifier? Usually powersoaks also suck some of the tone of the amp.

I am considering either buying some sort of powersoak for my Bogner or just buy a smaller amp just for recording. This thing looks tempting.
For that recording I was only running the amp at about 3/4s power. In fact, I don't know if I've set it to full 20W yet...

I haven't noticed any tone-sucking, but so far that clip I posted before was the only high-gain situation I've used the amp in. Everything else has been clean-to-overdriven, but nothing cranked.
Old 23rd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I tried one yesterday, man that thing can get LOUD! I doubt that I would have any problems gigging with it. Had my wife come in and listen, she smiled and said "Oh, now I know why you want this. The Marshall sound." Somehow (to my ears anyway) it retains that big beefy sound, even when going thru just one cab at bedroom level. I love my SuperSonic, but it does not have the bottom end this amp gets. I'm not quite sure how this would translate in a studio setting; does it mic well? Would the low end get rolled off so it doesn't fight with the bass? Sure would love to find out. GC Nashville says they've been selling around 5 per week to the session guys. I would've taken one home but we had just bought an AEA R84 & TRP, Equation F.20 mic & 2 pair of RP21 headphones earlier in the day so we had to give the checkbook a rest
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax ➑️
Don't you have a Randall RT2/50 with RM4 rig? ... C'mon man, that rig isn't too heavy to gig with! heh
I have an RM 100 head that stays in the studio. and I LOVE IT. For gigs I've been using a rack rig with a JMP 1 and a 100 watt Carvin Tube power amp, it probably weighs 50 pounds. The Randall weighs 75 and the Egnater combo weighs in at a friendly 95 lbs! It's pretty heavy. The Egnater I thought really sounded nice and I'm kinda needing a change from the jmp1, although I like only hitting one button for very different sounds. I thought about getting an RM4 but I would have to find a crazy deal on one and then I'd have to add modules again, by the time your done you could buy the 4100.
Old 24th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Benny, I used yours the other day and was really impressed. We used it for some lead stuff and it sat really nicely between the dual rec and Jmp. Made the dude's holloybody sing. I think we were running it at half power.
Old 1st March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I just picked one of these up last night and LOVE it! I'm still experimenting with it, so I can't give a fair review on it, but I have nothing negative to say about it so far.

It seems to me that everyone is recommending to switch out the factory tubes for something else. This is my first tube amp, so I don't know much about them....what do you suggest replacing them with and where should I buy them? I know you can get different sound from different tubes, and I am looking to as much gain/OD as possible. I play a lot of rock/hard rock/punk stuff.

Thanks guys! So far, this thread has proven to be invaluable and full of information!
πŸ“ Reply