they look nice made in china though

Last edited by qwerty1; 29th March 2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: ;
Old 2nd April 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsteve1 ➑️
they look nice made in china though
Man. I dont care if they are made on the moon. I just got one today (head and cab) and I really can't believe my ears. I own loads of amps, vintage Marshalls, Mesas, old Fenders, AC30, few custom built amps etc. and this little guy SMOKES!!! This thing goes from pristine jangly Vox style clean to over the top hi-gain on the same channel. I can't wait to track this thing. I have a band coming in next week that Im going to try this on. All I can say is WOW.thumbsupstikethumbsup
Old 8th April 2009 | Show parent
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got one of these at the studio right now, on a trial basis. It sounded good enough that for about 40 minutes I couldn't stop playing, but then something changed. Some of the bite dropped out and it became less enjoyable. I don't know if it was ear fatigue or if something in the amp actually went south (I did hear a momentary, weird amp sound for about a second) - could have been both I guess. If it was a mechanical problem, that doesn't bode well for the reliability of the amp.

Overall, with the gain at max and running the amp full power, I would describe the sound as VERY punchy / tight lows (with Tight switch on), very fat low mids, a bit veiled in chord clarity, and lots of bite. The top end is unfortunately mushy and soft, like most Mesa's. Also, I couldn't pull out a good Fender-like clean no matter what I tried. Backing down the gain considerably and trying to sculpt out nice cleans didn't work. Then again, this amp probably wasn't made with cleans being a top priority.

I'm probably going to swap this one for another that is fresh from the box to see if the newer one sounds like this one did initially. I was loving it for a brief stretch.

BTW, this little bastard can get LOUD! No problems driving a 2x12 or a 4x12.
Old 5th June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
looks like there are only a few bad ones floating around.im going to get one soon though.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab ➑️
I have an RM 100 head that stays in the studio. and I LOVE IT. For gigs I've been using a rack rig with a JMP 1 and a 100 watt Carvin Tube power amp, it probably weighs 50 pounds. The Randall weighs 75 and the Egnater combo weighs in at a friendly 95 lbs! It's pretty heavy. The Egnater I thought really sounded nice and I'm kinda needing a change from the jmp1, although I like only hitting one button for very different sounds. I thought about getting an RM4 but I would have to find a crazy deal on one and then I'd have to add modules again, by the time your done you could buy the 4100.
I wound up with a 4100 combo about a month ago. Overall I love it, it might be one of the most versatile amps I've ever played. My one complaint is the taper on the master volumes for the individual channels. To be honest I've been using it in 100 watt mode and have had no real volume problems. As far as the weight goes well it's insanely heavy, but it's really so far only been about lifting it in and out of my trunk, and I'm not so old and decrepit that I can't do it. I'm still thinking about the rebel for the studio or maybe a Blackstar.
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fwiw I returned the Rebel 20. It didn't quite do it for me.
Old 10th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been offered a Rebel 20 for trade with y mesa tremoverb dual rectifier, I would ask for a money compensation also of course.

At first I said no but now it kind of makes me curious.
Can this thing do some of the mesa's stuff?

How would they compare?
I also have a marshall MKII bass from 1977 that I love for it's rock and roll tone.

I like the mesa but I'm not 100% satisfied with it, I have some mixed feelings about it.

If the Rebel 20 can get heavey and powerfull, then maybe I'd consider trading and buying another amp with the money.
Old 17th July 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hey new to the forum! What is the best way to go from high gain to a clean sound using the rebel 20 without relying on the volume knob of my guitar?

I have just recently got back into guitar, gear, etc... thanks for all responses and help
Old 9th August 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Had a nice tryout of the Rebel 20 at CG, really liked it. Been noodling around with it all weekend and I'm finding it a tiny bit brittle ~ also, considering this is mostly going to be for recording/practice, I'm considering trading it in for the Blackstar HR15.

Less than half the price and seems to sound pretty nice, also. I dug the beefiness of the Marshall Haze but the FX seemed weak.

It's either trade it in for the Blackstar and get back some money for other gear or use the $1k for the whole stack to go towards a Fender or US made Peavey.
Old 23rd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JELTONE ➑️
Hey new to the forum! What is the best way to go from high gain to a clean sound using the rebel 20 without relying on the volume knob of my guitar?

I have just recently got back into guitar, gear, etc... thanks for all responses and help
The best way is to set your neck pickup for the clean tones where your volume knob is down quite a bit, and then set the bridge pickup to the high gain with the volume knob up pretty high, maybe even fully cranked depending on the amount of gain you need. Then you switch between the two with your pickup selector.

Here's a link to a guy using this technique on a Trainwreck amp, which is just awesome tone by the way.

YouTube - 1959 Les Paul & Trainwreck Amp - "Can You Hear It Ring?"

Also, to address a previous comment about swapping out the V1 driver tube with a 12AT7 instead of the stock 12AX7, it will work fine. A 12AT7 has a gain of 60 compared to 100 of a 12AX7, so you will get more headroom before going into overdrive when cranking the gain. If you use a 12AU7, the gain is only 40, which means it will stay clean longer when cranking the gain volume.

I also got to try one of these Rebel 20 amps out a few days ago. What a smokin' amp. The watt selector is pretty useless and noisy, but the rest of the amp is rock solid. I found the best tone with a Gibson SG came with the bright off, the tight switch on, bass at 2:00, mid and treble both at 11:00, the preamp gain at about 1:00 and the master volume all the way up. Boy did this thing scream! I had the tube mix about 12:00 mid way between 6v6 and el84. When it was all the way to EL84, it got a little brighter, and the tone had more raunch and bite. Make no mistake. This amp can peel paint if you're not careful. Also, this was played through the 1x12 cabinet that comes in the half stack.

I compared this to the new Jet City SCA head as well as the Vox Night Train. I found the Night Train to be incredibly noisy, and I didn't like the tone at all. It was too brittle and grainy and had that characteristic fizziness of cheap sounding high gain distortion that I hate. The Jet City, however, was surprising. It was quite smooth in both the clean and distorted tones, and when driven hard has that Soldano crunch typical of his higher end amps. It's not the same as an SLO, but it sure has that familiar tone to it. BUT...I still preferred the Egnater Rebel over the Jet City. I just felt the overdrive of the tubes was far more pleasing, and the fact that you can switch between the 6v6 and el84 tone makes it a lot more versatile an amp.
Old 13th September 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone tried the Tweaker?
πŸ“ Reply