Quantcast
Reccommend a fairly inexpensive solid state head/combo for Gang of Four tones - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Reccommend a fairly inexpensive solid state head/combo for Gang of Four tones
Old 28th January 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Reccommend a fairly inexpensive solid state head/combo for Gang of Four tones

Lately, I've been into really nasty, clangy, scratchy, trebly tones a la Gang of Four, Big Black, and Rapeman. I'm not too well versed in the realm of solid state amps, but I know there are plenty that don't sound like ass (well, sort of, but not like the ass of some crappy SS practice amp, the ass I'm INTENDING). What would you suggest?

Yes, I know Andy Gill used a Carlsboro, and no, I haven't been able to find one.

Edit: *Recommend (i'm stupid)
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might try some of those solid state amp modeling vox amps. I've heard some people say they're terrible and others rave about them. I'm sure you can find a shop somewhere that has some.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The last time I saw them, Andy was using two Peaveys. I don't know if they were tube or solid state, but he had the usual glassy, brittle tone. Sounded great.

I'd just go to a pawn shop and listen to a few things - pawn shops never have any kind of shortage of crappy solid state amps. You've just gotta find that one that hits the mark for you with some trial and error.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…