Quantcast
Vox AC30 CC1 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vox AC30 CC1
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vox AC30 CC1

Finally splashed out on a new Amp, so I thought I'd post some feedback, just for anyone that might be interested.

Took delivery of a new Vox AC30 custom classic on Saturday morning, ran it through it's paces at band rehearsal in the afternoon.

Wow! Bear in mind that this is the 'NeoDog' speakers here, I wonder really how much better AlniCo Blue's would be.

We've been at the mercy of our rehearsal studios equipment which ranges from passable to down right terrible (Peavey solid state horrors, and Line 6 modelling stacks). Plus as we don't always get the same room, there isn't much scope to work on tone.

Biggest difference is totally about FEEL. Man it's nice to actually be able to work with the amp for dynamics - the other amps seem to just compress everything to the point that there is little in the way of volume change.

Second thing was that this baby is fecking loud - it cuts right through the room even at low volumes - this made the 2nd guitar amp sound a lot better as well as there was far less 'mush' - the AC30 sat in it's own space.

Next was the effect that the amp had on my pedalboard. Holy ****!

I've got a Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Boss Tremolo into Boss Noise Suppressor into MXR Booster MC401.

Previously I was having real difficult with the DS-1 pedal geting any kind of headroom, especially with my Les Paul - the level had to be maxed just to get the distortion to match volume with the amps.

With the AC30 both the DS-1 and the SD-1 happily sit with the level just over halfway and are matching volume nicely with the amps clean, leaving a lot of headroom. The Tremolo and Reverb are nice to haves - I'm giving the other guitarist my Trem pedal, and I'll have to think of another pedal to buy in it's place!

It took me about 3 or 4 songs just to get things sorted with the amp in terms of pedals and playing, but after that it was great.

Another nice feature is the link for blending channels - I am using this as a an easy switch to match my Telecaster to my Les Paul; I'm playing a couple of songs on the Tele, but changing is a pain. With the link switch, I'm playing the Les Paul through the Top Boost channel, and when I swap simply kick in the Normal channel which is set to compensate for the Tele. Sweet stuff

£670 and so far I'm ecstatic. It's a heavy bugger tho, so lugging it about will be a pain especially after gigs, but I don't think I could go back now.

Any recommendations on replacement tubes? I've heard that Mullards are good, I'm going to buy some back-ups so it would be useful to see what other improvements I could get.

Cheers
Old 26th January 2009
Deleted User
I put the new production 12AX7 Mullards in and did not like them - just seemed a little flat/dull. I can't speak to the NOS Mullards which everyone seems to like (a lot), but $$$$. I ended up with JJ/Tesla Hi-Performance which I really like. Very good harmonic content and well defined. The CC2 comes with Electro-Harmonix EL84s in the power section so I did not swap those out, but I'll take suggestions. I replaced the Wharfdales (stock in the CC2), with the Celestion Century Vintage Neo. I believe they are the same or very close to the NeoDogs, so the JJ/Tesla and EH tubes sound good with neo speakers. IMHO
📝 Reply