The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Evh 5150iii
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Evh 5150iii

EVH 5150III Head.
Hey!
My wonders. Is this head a "copy" of the Peavey 5150 head?
Other thoughts: hows the sound?
For Metal music, like metallica's "...And justice for all/The black album", etc?

Thanks
Mixbuster
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
EVH 5150III Head.
Hey!
My wonders. Is this head a "copy" of the Peavey 5150 head?
Other thoughts: hows the sound?
For Metal music, like metallica's "...And justice for all/The black album", etc?

Thanks
Mixbuster
It is a whole new thing. Not like the older ones. The sound is different depending on the speaker choice. I prefer the matched cab which has the equivalent of greenbacks. I have tried the head through a Bogner 4X12 with V30's too. Just a different sound. Channel two is the Eddie brown sound (VH 1). Channel three is very high gain but I don't think it has "Black Album" tones (just my opinion). It leans more toward a Bogner-ish sound in my opinion.

You might be better off finding a used Peavey 5150 as I understand its perfect for what you are doing from reading other posts on here, and it would be a lot cheaper. Another option to look into is the VHT stuff. I have a Deliverance 60 and it sounds awesome on a high gain setting and none of that Marshall fizzy sound. I have wanted to check out the Sig-X but have not.

If you plan on being more versatile, like playing really clean stuff, then some AC/DC overdriven stuff, then need a souped up JCM 800 or 900, and then need to go beyond that - then the EVH version of the 5150 can do all of that. I really love the amp and the cabinet.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Will the peavey 6505 match the peavey 5150?
From what I heard, the 6505 is the anniversary version of the 5150.
If so, it should sound almost the same right?

Thanks
Mixbuster.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
they are identical amps, different name. and they are awesome, with an easy bias mod.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobo ➑️
they are identical amps, different name. and they are awesome, with an easy bias mod.
Do you recommend using the following Peavey 6505 cab or will my Marshall 1960B do? I've heared many people talking about the "marshall fizz", what is that? is the cabs and tops fizzy?
Myself have a Marshall AVT 150H head, I have a problem with fizz when I turn the dist knob.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Oh a Marshall cab will certainly "do" . But it's a matter of taste, I don't own the Peavey cab, lots of guys like them though. I've 3 Marshall cabs, 1 with GB reissues, V-30;s, and gt-75's. I assume you have the GT75s in your cab. They are more mid scooped and brighter than other choices, but depending on what your doing that may be a good thing, like if you like it buzzy. V-30's are probably the most popular. Man I like them all...the best is when I slave a JCM800 off the 5150, and run all 3 types at one (I'm talking about live).

5150s are killer amps, and used they are cheap. Even new, they are reasonbly priced. But you have GOT to have a bias mod installed, I mean it makes a big big improvement. I did it myself, was really easy; shouldn't cost maybe $50 to have a local tech. do it. The "Rhythm " channel is not good for cleans at all. I'd never even try to record that clean..but playing it live- if you set your amp up right, on the lead channel-just rolling off the guitar volume works great. Don't be put off by the Peavey name.

Back to the original post, I would really really like to hear a 5150 III.

edit: I have all 1960 cabs....if you have the cheaper Marshall cabs, definitely get a different cab. I friend brought one of Marshalls cheaper 4x12s over once, we loaded V-30's in it, it doesn't sound near as good as Marshall regular cabs (1960). Many will say a Bogner 4x12 with V-30s rules, but I never heard one.

Last edited by mrbobo; 24th January 2009 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: which cab do you have?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have a cheaper marshall cab, it's boxy and hizzy with no bass.
The 1960 cab made night day!
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can definitely give a good recommendation for the new EVH.... that's assuming my recommendation means anything . THe 5150 III is a great amp. I test drove it in my studio for a day and immediately ordered one. One thing it has going for it is the design team at Fender. It basically has a Fender clean channel, a beefed up 5150 "brown sound" channel and a high gain channel that is over the top. Almost too much, which would be the only negative thing I have to say about the amp. Otherwise it's a wonderful amp. The cabinet sounds great, it's a good pairing. I tried it with a Mesa and a Marshall (V30s), and it was good with those, though I think the matching cab is a great fit, as it should be!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check this link, I posted some good recordings of my 5150 through my Bogner 4x12" cab :
Peavey 5150 multiple tone tests, which do you prefer ?

And my 5150 did not have any bias mod/adjustment. This is the stock bias setting.
But if you want a tighter and more agressive sound, yet a bit different, this can be a good idea. I recommend SED "Winged C" 6L6 or JJ 6L6 tubes in the power amp. The SED are brighter and tighter than the JJ which are really creamy and smooth.

I heard the new 5150 EVH III is very good.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixbuster ➑️
Will the peavey 6505 match the peavey 5150?
From what I heard, the 6505 is the anniversary version of the 5150.
If so, it should sound almost the same right?

Thanks
Mixbuster.

Just to fill you in a little, the 6505 is not the anniversary version of the 5150. What happened is Eddie had the rights to the 5150 label and either Peavey or Eddie broke off the relationship and Eddie took the 5150 label with him. Seeing how the 5150 was so popular Peavey didn't want to lose that customer base so they continued to build the same head but renamed it the 6505.
Old 2nd February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
New Peavey 5150/Engl Powerball tone tests here :
Heavy guitar tone tests - Gibson, Vintech, Lavry content
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…