Quantcast
mesa boogie mark V - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mesa boogie mark V
Old 3rd July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Well tried it again. This time I was able to get some higher gain sounds out of it, but still not feeling the real love or responsiveness/tightness/liquidness. I'll give it some time, maybe a Mk5b which no doubt will be forthcoming will rectify (hoho) some of the issues for me.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie โžก๏ธ
Well tried it again. This time I was able to get some higher gain sounds out of it, but still not feeling the real love or responsiveness/tightness/liquidness. I'll give it some time, maybe a Mk5b which no doubt will be forthcoming will rectify (hoho) some of the issues for me.
interesting. i could see how someone could say the amp does not have enough gain. i had the initial thought myself before i really got into it and messing around and upgrading the tubes helped as well. but as far as tightness. resoponsiveness, and focus, this amp i found quite impressive. so much so my road king sounds flabby, dark, and muddy. liquidness though can be quite subjective to player and guitar and style.

i wonder if you are playing a combo?? maybe try plugging it into a 2x12 or something. makes a much better experience out of it. i was unimpressed with the combo after hearing it though a cab.

of course then again, maybe you want to like it but it is not quite what you are looking for???

i havent tried any gain pedals through mine yet to see how it likes them, and how it affects it. i have a barber ltd sr, (NICE) and a fulltone full drive 2 mosfet.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yeah, I mean I wasn't getting super chug sounds or anything like that at higher gain, just something a bit smoother than before. And yes I am looking to like the amp, I remember when I first played a Mesa amp and it was like a revelation, just so creamy, warm and sustain for infinity, really really liquid (as i see liquid meaning), unfortunately I have no idea what amp it was, or how it was dialed in, it had a dark green finish and was quite a small combo in the mid/late 90's. I've been looking for that in a Mesa amp ever since, so maybe it's just a case of finding that sweet spot.

I can see that just possibly the Mark V could a killer amp for recording with, as that treble bite that this amp seems to have will surely cut give you plenty of potential to cut through a mix, but can that work at lower volumes? Anyone have any examples of low volume recording with this amp?

It's one of those amps that I seem to like more when I'm not playing with it than when I am, dunno if that makes sense. I sit here now and I'm going, well it had a really great crunch in that second channel, if only I could dial in a bit more mid and bass (I was having a hard time getting the Mid pots to make any difference to the sound at all), and the cleans could be good, and then also thinking that it would be an amp that I'd like to make mods on, but it's highly complex, so would it even be possible to turn the fx loop from parallel to series? add a midi controller and so on. How is it to record with? Would better tubes and cabinet than the rectifier 2x12 cab it was on make enough of the positive difference to this amp? In retrospect I'm feeling that it was a colder sounding amp than the first time I tried it too. Lots of conflicting feelings about the amp right now, plenty to think about at least!
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
its a boogie which means it needs new tubes and it likes volume! the rectifiers are the oddball on volume cause they are SO saturated and SO much low end, but tube amps in general really like volume, the more the merry'r

the mid 90's combo, chances are it was a mark of some sort, though could have been any of them 1-4 and variances between. or possibly a dc series 3-5 being the most popular. i have a buddy selling a mint dc 5 that is green tolex and tweed grill. great sounding lil amp.

the eq's are odd on boogies. the setting of the high affects the presence control... it takes some gettin used to for sure!!! it does have the parametric though which is great for tweakin. i forget exactly but for more mid control you tweak the bass setting or something silly. never understood why they work this way??

channel 2 i think is very nice. saturates very nice. but the more volume on this amp the more lows it will get. lots of things on other forums about that and this amp. great rock tones on this channel in the first 2 voicing but the mark I voicing can get WAY dirty and creamy. you have to make MASSIVE eq adjustments though when going from the mark I voicing to the other 2 voicings on this channel.

its not an oversaturated metal amp like a lot of them can be. it is tight and focused, has tone compared to a lot of metal amps i have played. i would like to have the option of more saturation/gain on channel 3, but am not disappointed, i got pedals if i really need it, though dont know why??

i noticed the low end seeming low as well, especially when i had it side by side w the road king. but i have begun to like it and learning to manipulate it and control the amp to get the low end from it. it cuts very well in the mix and i find the high end quite pleasurable especially compared to the nasy rectifier high end. it is a workhorse of an amp. most amps do not have this many nice channels and voices. most especially boogie only give you 1-2 great things on an amp. that is for sure part of the attraction to it.

was you using the preset eq?? it is great xcept channel 2, i only like it on the mark I voicing not the other 2.

i do not mess with fx loops and all that. i have an h3000 i put in the fx loop when necessary for tracking, but only when i have to for some special delay they want or something. i havent played live in a band for 5-6 years now.

i just read on another forum about turning on the master voume and cranking the channel master and controlling the volume with the master. will give that a try tommorow and see what it affects.

oh and i am in love with the tuner output, i have never used one before! though i think the road king has one, just never used it.

get me your email address and will send you some snips and such if that will help. you sound pretty confused on it all right now
Old 4th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I got the head. I was going to go for the combo, just to have the compact rig, but use it with a cab. Then, I just decided to get one of the wide closed back 1 x 12 cabs. The combination is great. this little cab has plenty of low end.

this is my first boogie. I've never been able to tweak these amps into singing tones before. this one is different. I don't find it hard at all to get good tones out of it. And, there is so much here that's useful, in every channel.

I am anxious to improve on the stock tube complement. I think the JJs will do a lot of good. And more speaker break in will also help the big picture. Love, love, loving the amp, tho, right outta the box.

Boogie has a winner.

Old 5th July 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater โžก๏ธ
I got the head. I was going to go for the combo, just to have the compact rig, but use it with a cab. Then, I just decided to get one of the wide closed back 1 x 12 cabs. The combination is great. this little cab has plenty of low end.

this is my first boogie. I've never been able to tweak these amps into singing tones before. this one is different. I don't find it hard at all to get good tones out of it. And, there is so much here that's useful, in every channel.

I am anxious to improve on the stock tube complement. I think the JJs will do a lot of good. And more speaker break in will also help the big picture. Love, love, loving the amp, tho, right outta the box.

Boogie has a winner.

cool to hear. i am loving mine more and more. put HOURS into it the last couple days tracking and just jamming. i am loving crunch and mark I one channel 2 and mark IV on channel 3 the most at the moment. channel 2 is worth putting some time into. getting almost a scooped marshall feel, though a bit tighter and a lot of saturation on crunch, and really digging it.

it is really easy to get good tones out of. though the more time i am putting into it, especially the last couple days, the more varieties i am finding. try turning on the master vol/fx loop and turn the master down and crank the preamp of the channels about all the way up and control vol w the master. whole new plethora of tones from having the master shut off and controlling gain from the pre, which is how i normally do it. discovered that this afternoon.

i will say....at the moment i have a dr z 1x12 convertible cab, avatar 2x12 w v30 and g12, mesa boogie roadster 2x12, and a marshall 1960 lead 4x12 cabinets. the marshall 4x12 just sounds AMAZING!!! the roadster is a large 2x12 cab but is brand new and probably 10-15 hours on the speakers so needs some break in time still. but the 4x12 feels so smooth and inviting and just bigger (sounds stupid, of course its a bigger cab!!!) the 2x12's both sound a bit harsh in the high end especially. the 1x12 will do the job but for sure will not showcase what the amp can do!!
i have not tracked w the marshall though, only the roadster. will hopefully get to tmic'ing the marshall tonight or tomorrow.

i definatley recomend the tube package i sent you the info to. i still have not installed the kt77's and remove 2 6l6's. might try that tonight though and see what it does. i have some more tracking tonight so will depend on time i guess.
๐Ÿ“ Reply