The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital Sims are NOT Amplifiers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Digital Sims are NOT Amplifiers

In response to certain people trying to spread misinformation on this site, I wm writing this. This is a technical, factual issue, not opinion.

Digital sims are not amplifiers.

Amplifiers are analog devices, use to amplify a signal. Digital sims can't do this. If you intend to play sound through speakers, you are gonna need one.

There are preamps and power amps. There are solid state amps and tube amps. They are all amps. They are all analog.

Last edited by Snorktop; 1 week ago at 07:26 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

My amp has a pre-amplifier stage to bring the guitar up to line level, a digital sim/profiler that selects the type of amp I want, and a power amp that connects to a 16ohm cab.
Its a single box. I plug my guitar into it. and I have loud sound coming out of the other end, therefore it is a guitar amplifier
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Starling ➡️
My amp has a pre-amplifier stage to bring the guitar up to line level, a digital sim/profiler that selects the type of amp I want, and a power amp that connects to a 16ohm cab.
Its a single box. I plug my guitar into it. and I have loud sound coming out of the other end, therefore it is a guitar amplifier
This is a technical issue and not a matter of opinion. The digital sim/profiler section of your amp is not an amplifier. A digital sim on its own is not an amplifier. Just as a mic-pre emulation is not an amplifier.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Snorktop is making deliberately confusing and pedantic argument.

His argument is, " a banana is not a lemon. Prove me wrong"
People here do not call "sims" amps. A sim is a sim, and an amp is an amp. It's not a confusion people make around here, yet he is making this deliberately silly argument to try and associate Digital amps with "sims".
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG ➡️
Snorktop is making deliberately confusing and pedantic argument.

His argument is, " a banana is not a lemon. Prove me wrong"
People here do not call "sims" amps. A sim is a sim, and an amp is an amp. It's not a confusion people make around here, yet he is making this deliberately silly argument to try and associate Digital amps with "sims".
Yes, people here do call "sims" amps, which is why I am clarifying the point.

There is no such thing as a "digital amp", and that is exactly the confusion I am trying to clarify. There are amps with integrated digital modellers.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop ➡️

There is no such thing as a "digital amp", and that is exactly the confusion I am trying to clarify. There are amps with integrated digital modellers.
Can't fault your logic, but I've seen nothing on here to indicate that anyone fails to understand this rather elementary and largely pointless distinction
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Yeah/No.
You're just being pedantic with language.
You're acting as a Grammar ****, the Spelling Police.

It's just another silly troll post.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannis ➡️
Can't fault your logic, but I've seen nothing on here to indicate that anyone fails to understand this rather elementary and largely pointless distinction
You just saw it with the term "digital amp". I was just arguing it on the favorite amp thread. It is not only this forum either, check the thread "are hardware mic pres obsolete"?

I don't think confusing technical distinctions fundamental to music production is pointless.

Quote:
Yeah/No.
You're just being pedantic with language.
You're acting as a Grammar ****, the Spelling Police.

It's just another silly troll post.
No, it is not a grammar troll, it is an important technical distinction. Amplifiers are analog devices. There are no "digital amps". This bothers you because it contradicts a fictitious religious belief.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=Snorktop;16356886]You just saw it with the term "digital amp".]
Where?

Edit ok I see it. So how would you describe a guitar amp with digital signal processing in it?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
[QUOTE=grannis;16356906]
Quote:
You just saw it with the term "digital amp".]
Where?
In the post above the one you responded to. Digital with a capital "D" for deity.

There are many people on this forum who at this point are confused into thinking a digital emulation is actually an amplifier. You can deny that if you want. I am clarifying an import point. Digital emulations are not amplifiers and can't amplify things.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

There are Wise and Wicked people, who rule the World using "Divide and Rule". The proletariate do not see how the Wise and Wicked fool them, because they are too busy fighting with their fellow man because the Wise and Wicked asked them to.

We just don't need these "Divide and Rule" arguments around here.
Enough is enough.
If you're not happy with this Snorktop, then this is you're problem, not ours.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
So how would you describe a guitar amp with digital signal processing in it?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How pathetic. How utterly sad and pathetic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy ➡️
How pathetic. How utterly sad and pathetic.
What is pathetic? That I feel the need to clarify this? Or that some people are having an emotional breakdown over it?

Quote:
There are Wise and Wicked people, who rule the World using "Divide and Rule". The proletariate do not see how the Wise and Wicked fool them, because they are too busy fighting with their fellow man because the Wise and Wicked asked them to.

We just don't need these "Divide and Rule" arguments around here.
Enough is enough.
If you're not happy with this Snorktop, then this is you're problem, not ours.
LOL! So I am trying to divide and rule you by saying software emulations are not amplifiers?

They will never be amplifiers. To keep you proletariat.

Quote:
So how would you describe a guitar amp with digital signal processing in it?
That is semantics. My point is not semantics, it is purely technical. This is religion vs. science right here.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

It’s a complete non issue. Nobody claims a digital amp is all digital. It’s just convenient to call it that. Would you rather have people list every stage of every amp?

Next thread: A guitar amp is NOT a guitar!!!11
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbonzoseco ➡️
It’s a complete non issue. Nobody claims a digital amp is all digital. It’s just convenient to call it that. Would you rather have people list every stage of every amp?

Next thread: A guitar amp is NOT a guitar!!!11
No, it is confusing. Most amp modellers don't include real amps, and a lotta people are confused about it, they'd call it a "digital amp" just as easily as one with an integrated power amp. Gaslighting the issue for religious reasons doesn't help.

Unless you want this forum to be a haven for hobbyists to perpetuate misinformation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Unless you want this forum to be a haven for hobbyists to perpetuate misinformation.
Does this mean that the old professionals that sit around just to troll any thread in this forum that mentions anything created after the 50s are finally gonna retire?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Does this mean that the old professionals that sit around just to troll any thread in this forum that mentions anything created after the 50s are finally gonna retire?
I am just pointing out a technical distinction, why is that a troll? What is with the hate and anger? Do you have a problem with professionals? I have no problem with hobbyists - only misinformation.
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, it is confusing. Most amp modellers don't include real amps, and a lotta people are confused about it, they'd call it a "digital amp" just as easily as one with an integrated power amp. Gaslighting the issue for religious reasons doesn't help.

Ok I‘ve yet to see this problem occur. Maybe you can show me an instance where someone was confused by this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbonzoseco ➡️
Ok I‘ve yet to see this problem occur. Maybe you can show me an instance where someone was confused by this.
Oh, that is not important. The important thing is that you completely agree it is FACT that digital emulations are not amps, and will never be amps, which will always be analog devices. I am glad you totally agree with this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
While we are on this thread, the Pope is Catholic, and bears $h1t in the woods. Just in case anyone was confused
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hey Snorktop your 10 year old has hacked your account once again.
Change your password maybe?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can't fault your logic
No Logic, no Reason, def some Audacity.
I suppose sims are Pro Tools these days, even Garage Bands are using them.
Cue the Base jokes and this thread being closed by the Reaper.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh, that is not important. The important thing is that you completely agree it is FACT that digital emulations are not amps, and will never be amps, which will always be analog devices. I am glad you totally agree with this.
Ok… whatever you say, man…whatever you say…
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratercaster ➡️
Hey Snorktop your 10 year old has hacked your account once again.
Change your password maybe?
It's exactly this type of messages that intoxicats this forum, the ones that has made many leave, and lead others to just lurk.

However, the definition of amplifier in electronics can be useful at this moment,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier

sum to this how manufacturers themselves name their products

and you will immediately understand that the decisions of the moderation are not bad at all, who are the trolls, and who is the one whose password was stolen by a 10-year-old boy.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You guys are right. This is common knowledge, indisputable fact. I am silly for even mentioning it. The sky is blue. Modellers are not amps. They will never be amps. And amps will always be analog.

I don't see why I'm accused of being divisive if we all agree on these basic scientific facts. There is no argument here, ultimately we are all analog guys. Unless you've moved on from that luddite eardrum technology to some telepathatic, extraterrestrial music without sound. It happens.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Ioziodavid - you're the guy that threatens to drive across europe to have a pop at someone aren't you?
He got kicked off the other thread. So he starts this thread to continue the farce. And FWIW it was the mods that kicked him off ( he was whining about it elsewhere).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ioziodavid
He got kicked off the other thread. So he starts this thread to continue the farce. And FWIW it was the mods that kicked him off ( he was whining about it elsewhere).
Stating technical facts is a farce? Stop being so proletariat.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Stating technical facts is a farce? Stop being so proletariat.
Yea I'm working class. wtf has that got to do with anything
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yea I'm working class. wtf has that got to do with anything
Read the thread. Apparently the Wise and the Wicked put me up to this to keep you in line.

I am sure if I started a thread saying that electric guitars are not acoustic guitars, people would respond the same way and get just as upset.
Closed