Quantcast
How to clean Mesa/Boogie Lonestar control knobs? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to clean Mesa/Boogie Lonestar control knobs?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
How to clean Mesa/Boogie Lonestar control knobs?

The knobs are kind of scratchy when turned as I have not used it in a while.

I noticed there is a small hole on the knobs. Anyone know what is it for? Maybe it's for cleaning.... if so, can I spray the contact cleaner in it?

If not, how do I clean them? Do I need to take them apart?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimpaca78 ➡️
The knobs are kind of scratchy when turned as I have not used it in a while.

I noticed there is a small hole on the knobs. Anyone know what is it for? Maybe it's for cleaning.... if so, can I spray the contact cleaner in it?

If not, how do I clean them? Do I need to take them apart?

Thanks in advance.
Spray with a switch cleaner / lubricant such as Servisol super 10.
If you use just a switch cleaner they will get scratchy again quick.
That little hole will do the job
Nice amp.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Chances are the hole is the hole for the set screw holding the knob on the shaft, in which case using switch cleaner in there will just make a mess.

Get the right tool for the job - remove the knobs and use this to spray switch cleaner like DeOxit D5, which is what I use:
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...t-cleaning-cap
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama ➡️
Chances are the hole is the hole for the set screw holding the knob on the shaft, in which case using switch cleaner in there will just make a mess.

Get the right tool for the job - remove the knobs and use this to spray switch cleaner like DeOxit D5, which is what I use:
https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...t-cleaning-cap
oops, yeah I was thinking of a small hole in the housing not the actual knob
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

You'd probably do a better job by pulling the chassis. What ever cleaner you use, be careful...., as some is just for removing carbon and those pots are just that. So not using the correct cleaner can and will change the value of the pot. also hit/clean those 1/4" jacks while you have access.

Here for the gear

If the OP isn't sure how to clean a pot, then I would be careful with suggesting opening up the chassis. There are potentially life ending voltages in the Capacitors and if you are sure what you are doing it's potentially very dangerous. I'd personally recommend taking the amp to a good tech and have it serviced. Any pots beyond cleaning would be replaced by any reputable tech and they can also make sure all the other components are working as they should.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb ➡️
If the OP isn't sure how to clean a pot, then I would be careful with suggesting opening up the chassis. There are potentially life ending voltages in the Capacitors and if you are sure what you are doing it's potentially very dangerous. I'd personally recommend taking the amp to a good tech and have it serviced. Any pots beyond cleaning would be replaced by any reputable tech and they can also make sure all the other components are working as they should.
While it is generally wise to take electronic gear of any kind to a trained tech, sometimes finding one that's trained in the type of gear you own is difficult. I'd like to go against the grain and put a damper of the whole "Danger Will Robinson... Tube Gear!" mythology.

It isn't voltage that is potentially lethal. Men work on power lines carrying 10s of thouands of volts. It is current, and specifically current through the human heart that is potentially lethal. Right from the jump, if you put one hand in your pocket, you're safe from anything more than an alarming shock with no damage worse than a sunburn and even that is rare. Do a web search for accounts of recorded deaths from electrical shock from tube gear and there simply are none. The only deaths I recall even in distant association in music are from house current.

Obviously an amplifier is too heavy and awkward to lift out and on the bench with one hand in one's pocket, so here';s a clue - see those blue canisters in the above posted Mesa photo? Yeah ... stay way from those if you don't know what you're doing.

Side note - the largest caps in a Mesa are under 300uf. That value reflects how much current they can store to act similarly to a battery. Higher value equals more storage. SS devices tend to have, not hundreds, but thousands, even 10s of thousands of uf - ie: they store orders of magnitude more current. They are just as dangerous as tube gear is.... or isn't, assuming the most basic awareness of the dangers of electricity.

Here it is in a nutshell - one tenth of one amp across your heart can kill a person AT ANY VOLTAGE. Don't be wet and don't stand on raw concrete floors while working. Don't touch internal components especially with both hands or with conductive materials. Contact cleaner always comes with plastic tubing to direct the spray. Use them. That's pretty much it. Just respect that electricity in almost any form can be dangerous if you act like an idiot.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which is why Stew Mac invented a tool to spray the cleaner down the pot shaft into the pot, reducing mishaps by newbies or generally less smart people..

No need to take the amp cover off; knobs off, spray in, knobs back on. Also prevents the spray going everywhere.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 ➡️
While it is generally wise to take electronic gear of any kind to a trained tech, sometimes finding one that's trained in the type of gear you own is difficult. I'd like to go against the grain and put a damper of the whole "Danger Will Robinson... Tube Gear!" mythology.

It isn't voltage that is potentially lethal. Men work on power lines carrying 10s of thouands of volts. It is current, and specifically current through the human heart that is potentially lethal. Right from the jump, if you put one hand in your pocket, you're safe from anything more than an alarming shock with no damage worse than a sunburn and even that is rare. Do a web search for accounts of recorded deaths from electrical shock from tube gear and there simply are none. The only deaths I recall even in distant association in music are from house current.

Obviously an amplifier is too heavy and awkward to lift out and on the bench with one hand in one's pocket, so here';s a clue - see those blue canisters in the above posted Mesa photo? Yeah ... stay way from those if you don't know what you're doing.

Side note - the largest caps in a Mesa are under 300uf. That value reflects how much current they can store to act similarly to a battery. Higher value equals more storage. SS devices tend to have, not hundreds, but thousands, even 10s of thousands of uf - ie: they store orders of magnitude more current. They are just as dangerous as tube gear is.... or isn't, assuming the most basic awareness of the dangers of electricity.

Here it is in a nutshell - one tenth of one amp across your heart can kill a person AT ANY VOLTAGE. Don't be wet and don't stand on raw concrete floors while working. Don't touch internal components especially with both hands or with conductive materials. Contact cleaner always comes with plastic tubing to direct the spray. Use them. That's pretty much it. Just respect that electricity in almost any form can be dangerous if you act like an idiot.
I can't really argue against any of the above - but if you didn't know that there was a risk... Hence my post. More info on how to avoid any problems here:

ttps://robrobinette.com/Tube_Amp_Safety.htm
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Before you spray anything into the pots try turning them vigorously in both directions. This may clean the pot mechanically.
Scratchy pots can also indicate DC voltage across the pot. This can be caused by a failing capacitor.
📝 Reply