Quantcast
What is your favorite mic to record small body acoustic guitars? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is your favorite mic to record small body acoustic guitars?
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
What is your favorite mic to record small body acoustic guitars?

What is your favorite mic to record 000, OM or Parlour guitars?

I went from using an Audio Technica AT4033, to an AKG C451b (way too harsh) to a Beyer MC930 but lately I have contemplated getting a Beyer M201 dynamic mic to get more of a 70's strummed guitar sound.

What is your favorite mic for those guitars?
Has anybody used a Beyer M201 to record acoustic guitars?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
C451. Was a KM56 when I had them. Of course, I'd trade all of my mics, everything in the locker, for 8 or 10 good KM56's. But the 451 does the job.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Here for the gear
 
Depends on what I’m looking to get out of the guitar part. Also matters if the room sound is worth including. But to answer with what I find works for me has usually been km184 or md441. Lately I’ve been impressed with an xy pair of wa47jr at a distance. 1 isn’t bad either.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
mbvoxx's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Schoeps V4U.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 ➡️
What is your favorite mic to record 000, OM or Parlour guitars?

I went from using an Audio Technica AT4033, to an AKG C451b (way too harsh) to a Beyer MC930 but lately I have contemplated getting a Beyer M201 dynamic mic to get more of a 70's strummed guitar sound.

What is your favorite mic for those guitars?
Has anybody used a Beyer M201 to record acoustic guitars?
Yes, I've use a 201. It's a good mic.

What I use for acoustic guitar, however, is the Neumann KM84. NOT the 184. Occasionally I'll also use an AKG C12A.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
RODE NT 3 and a AT 4033 or any of the LDC ( CAD ~ 319 ~ ? ) we have --for the bottom
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Yes, I've use a 201. It's a good mic.

What I use for acoustic guitar, however, is the Neumann KM84. NOT the 184. Occasionally I'll also use an AKG C12A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
C451. Was a KM56 when I had them. Of course, I'd trade all of my mics, everything in the locker, for 8 or 10 good KM56's. But the 451 does the job.
Obviousy acoustic guitar mic'ing are classic applications of the KM84 and the C451 and for good reasons. Unfortunately, you no longer can buy them new and I am always a bit leery about buying used mics. I have never owned a newer KM184 but from the different shootouts I don't think I would like it over the Beyer MC930

John, I once read your review of the new AKG C451b. It was spot on. Way to bright and agressive. There are few applications where this mics can work. In all truth, I really like the Beyer MC930 but I just want an alternate mic when I seek a different sound. In the digital environment, it is sometime cool to use a mic with less high-frequencies and definition in order to get a cool vibe. I tried a SM57 and I don't care what "Nebraska" fans may say, it is just awful on acoustics. Hence my idea of getting a M201. I guess, it is cheap enough to get one to try out.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo ➡️
RODE NT 3 and a AT 4033 or any of the LDC ( CAD ~ 319 ~ ? ) we have --for the bottom
I love the AT4033 to record some acoustics as it has this little mid-bump that compensate the scooped tone of some dreadnoughts like my Takamine EF341S. I feel It is actually a much better mic to record guitars than vocals but I don't think it worked well on my Larrivee OM03R and Martin 00015M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx ➡️
Schoeps V4U.
I just looked into it, I am intrigued. Perhaps my next mic.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 ➡️
Obviousy acoustic guitar mic'ing are classic applications of the KM84 and the C451 and for good reasons. Unfortunately, you no longer can buy them new and I am always a bit leery about buying used mics. I have never owned a newer KM184 but from the different shootouts I don't think I would like it over the Beyer MC930

John, I once read your review of the new AKG C451b. It was spot on. Way to bright and agressive. There are few applications where this mics can work. In all truth, I really like the Beyer MC930 but I just want an alternate mic when I seek a different sound. In the digital environment, it is sometime cool to use a mic with less high-frequencies and definition in order to get a cool vibe. I tried a SM57 and I don't care what "Nebraska" fans may say, it is just awful on acoustics. Hence my idea of getting a M201. I guess, it is cheap enough to get one to try out.




I love the AT4033 to record some acoustics as it has this little mid-bump that compensate the scooped tone of some dreadnoughts like my Takamine EF341S. I feel It is actually a much better mic to record guitars than vocals but I don't think it worked well on my Larrivee OM03R and Martin 00015M



I just looked into it, I am intrigued. Perhaps my next mic.
M201s are good on a whole lot of things. I only have 2 right now....

The problem with many, if not most newer mics right now is that the number of inexperienced musicians who confuse definition and detail with an overly hyped top end. The mic companies, looking for increased sales, are pandering to the unskilled market. Even companies like Neumann have fallen prey to this, hence the presence of such mics as the KM184 and TLM103, which are unworthy of the corporate name and history.

Experienced engineers often favor older mics because a high quality older mic in good repair will nearly always beat the pants off a modern "equivalent". Of course you have to deal with maintenance, but you get what you pay for.

I have roughly 85 mics, last time I counted. Of all those mics i usually use relatively few unless it's a live gig where I won't take my good mics.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #9
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
The mic companies, looking for increased sales, are pandering to the unskilled market. Even companies like Neumann have fallen prey to this, hence the presence of such mics as the KM184 and TLM103, which are unworthy of the corporate name and history.
I think it was also bad timing. When we were on tape, we were always looking for ways to capture and preserve treble and air. Right when Neumann and especially AKG started heading in that direction, suddenly everyone's gone digital and we have more high end than we can stand.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
As a matter of fact, my other idea was to get a Beyer M160 especially that, since I moved from the US to Europe, Beyer mics are less expensive here. I think it would be a great alternative to the MC930 and can also be used in combination with it. I have never used a M160 but it seems to be a beloved studio ribbon and should pair well with my Summit Audio 2ba221 preamp.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #11
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 ➡️
John, I once read your review of the new AKG C451b. It was spot on. Way to bright and agressive. There are few applications where this mics can work.
The old 451 with the screw on capsule, and the newer brushed nickel one with the fixed capsule are two different mics. I've got a bunch of 451 and 452 around with a big variety of capsules, and also two of the newer 451.

The newer ones are perfectly nice sounding mics, but less overall useful, IMO. The older 451's are smoother and work beautifully on acoustics.
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Al Rogers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
A Microtech Gefell UM70 is a good acoustic guitar microphone. Lots of other uses too.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Addict
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
My 1.5 cents is the m160 works better for picking than strumming
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
km84 is my no1 for acoustic guitars.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
guavadude's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I’m using a Warm WA-47 with my Collings 0001 and love it.

Check out “stories” episodes on Scary Pockets YT channel. They use a lot of small body acoustics and get a
great sound out of Soyuz 013, I think the FET version. They also use the WA-47.
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Guru
 
elambo's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I use a KM54 and it's rarely anything but stellar.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I really like Earthworks SR-77 and/or QTC-1.
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Addict
 
Janne19691's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I am using Oktava MK-012 almost always for acoustic instruments. I have AKG C460B with CK 61-ULS cardioid capsule but I feel it's too bright. I also have Beyerdynamic M201 and M160 and while good mics, they are used a lot elsewhere. I just like the flavor of Oktava for acoustics.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
I have been experimenting with a pair of AA OC818's set up orthogonally to use their polar software to try out all sorts of versions of mid-side or plain ... very pleasing results.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #20
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist ➡️
km84 is my no1 for acoustic guitars.
Me, too, but they're got really pricey this past year. I'm glad I got my #2 when I did. It should be pointed out that the KM184 is NOT a proper substitute - too bright.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge ➡️
My 1.5 cents is the m160 works better for picking than strumming
It works fine for either. Placement is different,. however. Strumming, you need to back off a bit. It's a hypercardioid ribbon. Pattern is pretty tight.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiodeBridge ➡️
My 1.5 cents is the m160 works better for picking than strumming
It works fine for either. Placement is different, however. Strumming, you need to back off a bit.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
If you are looking for a small condenser mic without a hyped top end, Shure SM81's do a pretty good job and their KMS 141 has minimal bump on the top. I have to agree with others, the KM84 is the best.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
SDC's? Line Audio's OM1's and CM4's are very nice to use, and very affordable in pairs with all the options that allows ...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
The problem with many, if not most newer mics right now is that the number of inexperienced musicians who confuse definition and detail with an overly hyped top end.
15 or 20 amens to that!
My current favorite SDCs for acoustic guitars are the Warm WA-84 and the Aston Starlight (set to vintage). I slightly prefer the WA-84). I don’t want any added “hype” on most instruments played with a pick or hammers.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB ➡️
SDC's? Line Audio's OM1's and CM4's are very nice to use, and very affordable in pairs with all the options that allows ...
agree, that's another good choice.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Me, too, but they're got really pricey this past year. I'm glad I got my #2 when I did. It should be pointed out that the KM184 is NOT a proper substitute - too bright.
yeah I know that feeling, I want a second one and they are now really silly prices, there's a nutter on ebay asking for 10k a pair in japan.
Old 5 days ago
  #28
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
KM56 for all time favorite or for something spectacular, a SM2 which is stereo KM56’s. For what I have, I’m really liking Telefunken M260’s and also an AKG 460b sounds really good. The Telefunken’s have much of what I like in the KM56’s. I prefer the small condensers on acoustics but a 251e sounds pretty great…. on everything really.
Old 4 days ago
  #29
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 ➡️
What is your favorite mic to record 000, OM or Parlour guitars?

I went from using an Audio Technica AT4033, to an AKG C451b (way too harsh) to a Beyer MC930 but lately I have contemplated getting a Beyer M201 dynamic mic to get more of a 70's strummed guitar sound.

What is your favorite mic for those guitars?
Has anybody used a Beyer M201 to record acoustic guitars?
My first time playing a Martin 000-18 with a Schoeps was pure magic. Couldn't believe how 3d and clear it sounded. Next best on a budget would be Octava MCO-12.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5901 views: 1897542
Avatar for Paul_G
Paul_G 1 week ago
replies: 122 views: 30105
Avatar for RKeefe1032
RKeefe1032 13th February 2017
replies: 146 views: 54694
Avatar for Geoff Poulton
Geoff Poulton 4th February 2017
replies: 4 views: 1055
Avatar for Deleted 1aa3d4676f73940
Deleted 1aa3d4676f73940 15th August 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump