Quantcast
Fake or real fender strat - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fake or real fender strat
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 
Fake or real fender strat

Can you help me identify if its real or fake?
Attached Thumbnails
Fake or real fender strat-205388.jpg   Fake or real fender strat-205389.jpg   Fake or real fender strat-205383.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Here for the gear
 
I have more picture here.
Attached Thumbnails
Fake or real fender strat-205384.jpg   Fake or real fender strat-205386-1-.jpg   Fake or real fender strat-205385.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
the decal looks a bit off on the front, can you show a close up of it? otherwise it looks genuine to me, it could be worth taking it apart, does the hole for the pots measure 6.35mm? or 6mm? a US made one will be 6.35mm or 1/4" another way to verify is to take the neck off there should be a date and month of manufacture near the heel. The tremolo looks genuine to me, why don't you send an email to fender and ask them if it's genuine, send them the serial number and they will know.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #4
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist ➡️
the decal looks a bit off on the front, can you show a close up of it? otherwise it looks genuine to me, it could be worth taking it apart, does the hole for the pots measure 6.35mm? or 6mm? a US made one will be 6.35mm or 1/4" another way to verify is to take the neck off there should be a date and month of manufacture near the heel. The tremolo looks genuine to me, why don't you send an email to fender and ask them if it's genuine, send them the serial number and they will know.
Perfect, its a seller on marketplace and he made me a really good deal so i wanted to make sure, i will check with fender tho. Thanks
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
Perfect, its a seller on marketplace and he made me a really good deal so i wanted to make sure, i will check with fender tho. Thanks
that custom shop decal looks really close to the edges of the headstock, and what about some of the liter looking area's, around all decals...,, looks like some of the patina has be rubbed through. Ask Fender if this one should have dowel holes from the mounting jig, with it being an Custom Shop. Just the odd change in the patina, only around the decals, would spook me. Looks like that headstock has been snapped and repaired.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
I'd purchased everything, down to the green print knobs and single ply pick-guard, to convert one of my strats to an, David Gilmour Custom Shop (never happened) because I'd have to remove the OEM decals and it would remove the patina and look fake as sh!t. kind of what you have going on.

Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
Can you help me identify if its real or fake?
Kievlauzon, those pictures dont add up, with the technology we have (camera wise) Reminds me of an mint Martin HD-35 I purchased, that had sucky pictures. When I received it, I had the UPS lady, video while I open up the box...., it was toast, the seller was made to give me a refund, and he allowed..., it better not have a scratch when he got it back. Well he didnt know I had sent eBay pictures and the video and an affidavit from the UPS lady. With out that, I'd of had to eat it, because he allowed it was not the same guitar, and that I had switched it. Anyway, as I mentioned, he didnt know..., his little scam had backfired. But that why his picture were out of focus and he allowed he didnt have a good camera for posting better pic's I'd asked for., before I purchased it. Hum! Go Figure.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Kievlauzon, those pictures dont add up, with the technology we have (camera wise) Reminds me of an mint Martin HD-35 I purchased, that had sucky pictures. When I received it, I had the UPS lady, video while I open up the box...., it was toast, the seller was made to give me a refund, and he allowed..., it better not have a scratch when he got it back. Well he didnt know I had sent eBay pictures and the video and an affidavit from the UPS lady. With out that, I'd of had to eat it, because he allowed it was not the same guitar, and that I had switched it. Anyway, as I mentioned, he didnt know..., his little scam had backfired. But that why his picture were out of focus and he allowed he didnt have a good camera for posting better pic's I'd asked for., before I purchased it. Hum! Go Figure.
I will go check in person, he is not far from where i live. But serioulsy, i alway try to found crappy picture because that where i get the best deal lol.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
I will go check in person, he is not far from where i live. But serioulsy, i alway try to found crappy picture because that where i get the best deal lol.
Notice how the Custom Shop looks fine (other than being close to the edges, There was nothing there to cover or hide, the other decal....Not the same case. but, Hey......., Thats totally up to you. i'd sure ask, why the S/N and front decal, look bleached.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
I will go check in person, he is not far from where i live. But serioulsy, i alway try to found crappy picture because that where i get the best deal lol.
You must be in France, if you live close by....? The pictures have French language at the bottom.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Something more, after you come here looking for advise. Anyway, after you buy it, notice how many CS have the S/N and CS decal, co-exist on the back of the headstock, in those two locations...., not to mention never seeing the CS neckplate co-existing with the CS decal. What I've seen, is the S/N will be part of that CS decal or it will be stamp in the neckplate. Probably a make-over Squier.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
Perfect, its a seller on marketplace and he made me a really good deal
From this statement I am 99% sure it is fake.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
kennybro's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
True, CS makes all kinds of guitars, but that body finish and pick guard combo does not look like something they'd do. Not aesthetically "together." But IDK, just a feeling from glancing at it.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Who would be crazy enough to strip the finish from a CS body? That alone is enough to put me off.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Who would be crazy enough to strip the finish from a CS body? That alone is enough to put me off.
Hey there John. I've been wondering about you. Hope you're doing good. What do you think about those decals and S/N looking a little funky.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #16
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Hey there John. I've been wondering about you. Hope you're doing good. What do you think about those decals and S/N looking a little funky.
Looks like a sloppy job of somebody trying to gussie up an old (but not very old) Strat.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
Looks like a sloppy job of somebody trying to gussie up an old (but not very old) Strat.
You can buy an authentic decal for 10$. However to apply you need to strip the neck and then repaint. Not only is it expensive but in this case it has a very strange tinge. Plus the CS decal is the biggest one I have ever seen (I have several CS fenders)
Most importantly: Is that a 4-piece body? On a CS strat? Hmmm. I should say a cheap fake
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
pencilextremist's Avatar
 
9 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
yeah the more I look at it now the more I think 'fake' my gut feeling is that it's a fake.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #19
Here for the gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Notice how the Custom Shop looks fine (other than being close to the edges, There was nothing there to cover or hide, the other decal....Not the same case. but, Hey......., Thats totally up to you. i'd sure ask, why the S/N and front decal, look bleached.
Im canadian, but he said it was a neck repair so didnt take it.
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Here for the gear
 
He sais that it was a 70s neck with an 80s body but all is other guitar looked like this ( the stickers). So i didnt take any risk and didnt buy it.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
He sais that it was a 70s neck with an 80s body but all is other guitar looked like this ( the stickers). So i didnt take any risk and didnt buy it.
Man, the lies are really falling apart now!

There are NO "'70s CS necks". Fender had no custom shop in the '70s. Plus, all the '70s Fenders I know of have 3 bolt necks.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
Im canadian, but he said it was a neck repair so didnt take it.
You can see a repair, at the Headstock and Neck Contour, but that repair is not consistent with decal tempering. Just feel bad for the sucker that does fall for it.
Old 1 week ago
  #23
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Thinking about it, the Custom Shop decal had to be part of the ruse because without the Custom Shop tag, ANYONE could pick it as a fake in about 2 seconds. Only because of the Custom Shop tag has anyone spent more than a few seconds working out if it was a fake or not.
Old 1 week ago
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
This is 100% fake. Run.
Old 1 week ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievlauzon ➡️
Can you help me identify if its real or fake?
Notice the shallow forearm lope on the fake, compared to a real strat.

Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
How did I get pulled into this?
He/she is a little confused.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe ➡️
He/she is a little confused.
Probably from decal glue.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Probably from decal glue.
hahaha
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
I've owned many Strats - my first real electric guitar was a 1960. A REAL 1960, not a reissue. My lead guitarist/housemate owns a real Custom Shop Strat that I'm using for reference here. Maybe the head looks like a Harmony to you - it doesn't to me. However the photography isn't very good and I have no confidence that there is not distortion in the pics. Still, it doesn't look like a Harmony to me - and I've owned quite a few of those as well.

Yes, the body looks a bit funny - but it's been stripped and refinished and who can say what changes were made during the process? I dunno about you, but my psychic ability is not that good these days!
I have many strats (vintage, CS, "working man"...) The headstock which op posted is 100% not fender or a good/licenced copy of one. Look at the end bulb - the bottom bend is very much like Teisco type headstock (I have a few 60s Harmonys and the HS is longer and the scale is shorter), long and not edgy. Also if there were original Klusons there would be exposed screw holes.
A 4-piece body on a SC strat, with wrong dimensions? I doubt that
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Rick Dalton's Avatar
from zooming in, the S/N looks to be 5732910 or 3732910. Results from Fender S/N lookup.
"Sorry, we were not able to find your serial number. Please submit a ticket for a Gear Advisor to help you with your inquiry."
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3008 views: 273006
Avatar for feck
feck 9th February 2014
replies: 100 views: 11631
Avatar for Riccardo
Riccardo 25th November 2013
replies: 3306 views: 61482
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump