The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
different guitar pickups on neck and bridge?? 6k and 11.8k
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
different guitar pickups on neck and bridge?? 6k and 11.8k

I just customized a guitar. The neck is a 6k pickup, and the bridge is a 11.8k pickup. Is this going to mess up the sound of my guitar?? I should've researched this before I customized..
Old 1 week ago
Having a bridge pickup that's a higher impedance than the neck is pretty normal. By my standards[*] that would be a pretty normal single coil neck pickup and a hot bridge humbucker, but you don't say what sort of pickups or what sort of guitar. Or what style you play in. Or with what sort of amp.

Usually, it will make the bridge pickup louder and more pokey, while the neck will be a bit lower output and more open and scooped. These are pretty commonly sought after variations as a lot of players will use the more moderate neck position for their rhythm then flick to the bridge for a hotter and more cutting sound for lead. Whether it works for the way you use your guitar and its electronics when you play, well, only you can answer that. Try it into your amp and see. It might be perfect for getting a useful boost and tone shift into a tube amp without needing a boost or overdrive pedal for example and you might love it. Or you might hate it because you can't get the tones you want and it interacts badly with your pedal rig. Who am I to say?

[*] My half-baked benchmark for pickup DC resistance (whose utility is highly debatable anyway) is that ~6k is 'normal' for single coils and ~9k is normal for humbuckers. Substantially above that is 'hot' and significantly below 'low output'. When I started on guitar 'hotter is better' was a fad, but it turns out that it's not .. the truth is that a good sounding pickup mounted in the right spot is good regardless of output (within reason).
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just customized a Dunable Cyclops guitar. Very excited about it, but I didn't research the pickups enough.

Bridge is a Baphomet and neck is a d90. Very sweet guitars and I got excited ordering and didn't research enough. Should I have added a coil split??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Did you get the Cyclops yet? What kind of music do you play? FYI, I'm not a big fan of split coils. I have some split coils but never use them. Also, guitar strings vibrate more at the neck pickup than they do at the bridge so the bridge pickup needs to be a higher value to compensate. I tend to roll off some high end on my bridge pickup which also makes the pickup sound quieter.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
The pickup's resonant peak gets lowered in frequency when the pickup gets more turns of wire = greater resistance. It's like a bell EQ boost that gets lowered from above 6k hz down into the upper mids. Then you get that whinny piercing sound, the icepicks.

Place that resonant peak at 8k hz and the mids are flat = no icepicks. That's why vintage pickup winds work so well for any style of music.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I used to play jazz on a hollowbody, but switching over to a more doom metal/sludge style. So a big change. Am planning on playing with and without distortion.

Haven't received the guitar yet, it takes some time to assemble.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle1717 ➑️
I just customized a guitar. The neck is a 6k pickup, and the bridge is a 11.8k pickup. Is this going to mess up the sound of my guitar?? I should've researched this before I customized..
Assuming that you like the pickups it should be fine. If you don't, well.....
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Instead of a coil split, I like to switch the coils of the humbucker to run in parallel. Sounds single coil-ish (pretty good in my estimation, better than just splitting off one coil) and retains some humbucking capability. Just a thought.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
unless you routed the wood on the guitar to fit the new pickups, this should be easily reversible if you don't like the result.

since you already did the modification, you can simply play the guitar and see if you like the results.

lace sensors have different varieties, and the electronic resistance is part of the variety. i'm interested in a set of all golds. but some people like a mixture of blue, red, black. i have no idea what the differences are. the golds sound best to me. the point is that people seem to intentionally use pickups with difference resistance levels when they are choosing their lace sensors. they might be selecting pickups with different colored lettering on the pickup cases. but practically speaking, they are selecting pickups with different resistance levels and other electronic variations.

look at the chart here. you will see different resistance values for the different lace sensor pickups. and people mix and match these frequently on their guitars:
https://lacemusic.com/products/lace-...le-coil-pickup
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael ➑️
Instead of a coil split, I like to switch the coils of the humbucker to run in parallel. Sounds single coil-ish (pretty good in my estimation, better than just splitting off one coil) and retains some humbucking capability. Just a thought.
Several guitars here have the humbuckers wired to a 6 way rotary switch. That way all the possible combo's are possible. Use the L6-S diagram.
πŸ“ Reply