The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VOX AC30 VR - No Sound
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

VOX AC30 VR - No Sound

Hiya there,
Just putting this out there incase it has happened to anyone else and they might know what has happened. Last night my VOX AC30vr guitar amp made a really bad noise, as if it had just died, it was like a zapping noise. Now there is no sound. I'm thinking some kind of fuse or something has blown in it? The amp powers up and I see the red light, but now there is no red light for OverDrive channel.

The amp spec can be found here:

https://voxamps.com/product/ac30vr/

Thanks
Alan
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

Sounds like your amp ist Kaput.

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al ➡️
Hiya there,
Just putting this out there incase it has happened to anyone else and they might know what has happened. Last night my VOX AC30vr guitar amp made a really bad noise, as if it had just died, it was like a zapping noise. Now there is no sound. I'm thinking some kind of fuse or something has blown in it? The amp powers up and I see the red light, but now there is no red light for OverDrive channel.

The amp spec can be found here:

https://voxamps.com/product/ac30vr/

Thanks
Alan
Is that their modeller amp?
Old 4 weeks ago
It has one 12AX7 in there. Could be lucky ... might be that. No idea how it's mounted (socketed, soldered etc).

If you have any lights it's probably not a fuse.

Any component in any of the power amp module (presumably Class D) the PSU (a single rail might be out) or something to do with the preamp audio paths or digital control circuits could be cooked. Unfortuntaely, repairabiltiy of amps with this sort of tech is very manufacturer dependent. Contact Vox and ask them what to do next. Their answer will depend on your warranty status I assume.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambiguous signal ➡️
It has one 12AX7 in there. Could be lucky ... might be that. No idea how it's mounted (socketed, soldered etc).

If you have any lights it's probably not a fuse.

Any component in any of the power amp module (presumably Class D) the PSU (a single rail might be out) or something to do with the preamp audio paths or digital control circuits could be cooked. Unfortuntaely, repairabiltiy of amps with this sort of tech is very manufacturer dependent. Contact Vox and ask them what to do next. Their answer will depend on your warranty status I assume.
Thank you for the info, appreciate it. yes, it has a single tube in it, socketed(?) as it can be swapped out. I will send an email to Vox. I bought the amp second hand from some one else.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan ➡️
Is that their modeller amp?
It maybe has some kind of digital processing.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Al ➡️
It maybe has some kind of digital processing.

Nothing digital about any of the processing in that one. It's a transistorized front end with a pre-amp tube to "model" the output tubes in old amps....

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY ➡️

Nothing digital about any of the processing in that one. It's a transistorized front end with a pre-amp tube to "model" the output tubes in old amps....

-tINY

And a classD PA?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
VOX AC30 VR - No Sound

Probably the best thing that could have happened to it.

Now get a real amp!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
And a classD PA?

That would be my guess - but I'd also guess an analog control loop on it....

-tINY

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

That would be my guess - but I'd also guess an analog control loop on it....

-tINY

Have 7 "proper" AC30s in the studio at the moment. No class D in sight (actually have a couple bass class D amps - may need to sell them, nobody wants to use them )
The digiAC30 may have a loose wire or "digital sickies". Don't know. Don't know any techs who can fix them either. May need to go back to VOX.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Have 7 "proper" AC30s in the studio at the moment. No class D in sight (actually have a couple bass class D amps - may need to sell them, nobody wants to use them )
The digiAC30 may have a loose wire or "digital sickies". Don't know. Don't know any techs who can fix them either. May need to go back to VOX.

I bet you carry those up the stairs to play at the clubs all the time too....

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I bet you carry those up the stairs to play at the clubs all the time too....

-tINY

We don't have many clubs here with stairs. I can only think of 1, which was stairs down But also a lift and a goods lift. All the other ones have back entrances, goods lifts and trolleys.
s a matter of fact these are in the studio, we dont have many stairs (1 step only)
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…