The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are Humbuckers the Best All Around Pickups for Recording?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
it depends on the style of music. Single coils are good for country, humbuckers are for rock and blues.
Umm.. what? OK, I guess Jimi Hendrix et al were playing the wrong guitars according to this post. Also Chet Atkins etc..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymish ➡️
Umm.. what? OK, I guess Jimi Hendrix et al were playing the wrong guitars according to this post. Also Chet Atkins etc..
Chet used humbuckers, mostly PAF

Hendrix used single coils but he had to use lots of effects and stacks of Marshalls to get a good sound. In general a good humbucker only requires a combo amp to get good tone.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hendrix used single coils but he had to use lots of effects and stacks of Marshalls to get a good sound. In general a good humbucker only requires a combo amp to get good tone.
uh huh, which website did that info come from?
Lives for gear
Quote:
it depends on the style of music. Single coils are good for country, humbuckers are for rock and blues.
Serious oversimplification there.

Tons of rock and blues music has been played on single coils.

Very heavy modern rock/metal does favor humbuckers a bunch though.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
Serious oversimplification there.

Tons of rock and blues music has been played on single coils.
yeah definitely in soft rock, but the most famous blues played all played humbuckers since they all used Gibsons. Same with virtually all the famous Jazz players. They all used humbuckers as well. The 3 kings, Freddie, BB, Albert... All the jazz great like Pass, Kessel, Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, Metheny, Roy Clark, Dimeola, McLaughlin, George Benson all Gibsons and humbuckers. I'm sure there are a a few stray Jazz and Blues players that used single coils. I personally can't think of any though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Muddy Waters... yup not a big deal. Albert Collins?

Jeff Beck? Keith Richards?

Jimmy Page on the early Zeppelin stuff... not heavy enough to count??

You just can't equate humbuckers as being "THE" pickup for rock and blues, it's ridiculous, or maybe that's what you are going for?

On the other side of your silly theory (single coils aren't for rock) people have already pointed out Hendrix, I mentioned Page, how about Deep Purple? Oh it doesn't count if they use a Marshall or a fuzz... yeah your arguement there is pretty much nonsense as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hmm P90s are single coils. Would you say they are no good for rock and blues? Or jazzmaster SC pickups for alt as well as surf? Same for Jag?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Chet used mostly HBs? Really?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Jimmy, Deep purple? Jeff Beck? Page? Yngwie Malmsteen? James burton? Steve Cropper?
Radiohead, Coldplay, Led Zeppelin, Blind Melon, Aerosmith, Joe Strummer, Richie Kotzen

The list of blues players is looooonger. Start with Muddy Waters

Hell I just spent 4 min of my life typing this in
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No humbuckers for me. Porter Custom Single Coils all the way. People who NEED humbuckers (outside of extreme genres like drop tuning metal) are more than likely compensating for inferior bass tone an/or bass mixing techniques.

If you're not trying to record And Justice For All, where the guitar covers the entire freq spectrum, then get your bass right, and a guitar pickup that compliments your setup and your genre.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan ➡️

Hell I just spent 4 min of my life typing this in
sorry about that
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 ➡️
People who NEED humbuckers (outside of extreme genres like drop tuning metal) are more than likely compensating for inferior bass tone an/or bass mixing techniques.
Humbuckers vs single coils is a choice, they have different strengths and weaknesses.

If you go with original type single coils you may have to deal with some noise but you get that single coil clarity.

Someone else may simply want to avoid noise as much as possible and likes higher output and sound provided by a humbucker.

Different horses for different courses.

Back before pedals and amps with all sorts of gain options besides just a single volume control the differences in sound between using a single coil guitar and a humbucker equiped one where more of a big deal. Less so today but certainly still a part of the equation.

Les Paul (the man) got crazy clean sounds out of humbuckers not miles off from his earlier work with P90's.

Ted Nugent, Alvin Lee, Brian Setzer and many others showed that you can rock pretty hard on a guitar with F-holes.

Joe Stummer of the Clash certainly wasn't chicken pickin on his Tele.

BB King had humbuckers but didn't sound like Ted Nugent.

Pickups are tools each with their own qualities but what you choose to do with them exactly makes a huge difference.

Claiming that humbuckers are best or that either humbuckers or single coils are meant for a particular type of music is simply foolish.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan ➡️
Chet used mostly HBs? Really?
LOL, well fair enough he mostly used Gretch humbuckers after a while. Then with the Gibson deal in the 80s he used those. But the were a lot of other pickups his that long and illustrious career.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Meh.

Just play the damn thing. If you can’t, then by all means flop out yer pups and have at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLast ➡️
Humbuckers vs single coils is a choice, they have different strengths and weaknesses.

If you go with original type single coils you may have to deal with some noise but you get that single coil clarity.

Someone else may simply want to avoid noise as much as possible and likes higher output and sound provided by a humbucker.

Different horses for different courses.

Back before pedals and amps with all sorts of gain options besides just a single volume control the differences in sound between using a single coil guitar and a humbucker equiped one where more of a big deal. Less so today but certainly still a part of the equation.

Les Paul (the man) got crazy clean sounds out of humbuckers not miles off from his earlier work with P90's.

Ted Nugent, Alvin Lee, Brian Setzer and many others showed that you can rock pretty hard on a guitar with F-holes.

Joe Stummer of the Clash certainly wasn't chicken pickin on his Tele.

BB King had humbuckers but didn't sound like Ted Nugent.

Pickups are tools each with their own qualities but what you choose to do with them exactly makes a huge difference.

Claiming that humbuckers are best or that either humbuckers or single coils are meant for a particular type of music is simply foolish.
Since I created this thread I have discovered boost pedals (I bought the TC Spark)- What got me on this was the buzz surrounding the Boss EQ and gain pedal- I found that many of heroes use some sort of EQ and or boost on the way in, which makes sense.
What I was wanting was the gain and not having to crank my Princeton to get a sound that I like.

Additionally, I have gotten a G&L Fallout which has a P90 neck and hum bucker on the bridge, and I love love love this guitar. The blend of the two is silly great to record with. I can drive my amps in really diverse ways and I love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
LOL, well fair enough he mostly used Gretch humbuckers after a while. Then with the Gibson deal in the 80s he used those. But the were a lot of other pickups his that long and illustrious career.
80s don't count. Gibson payed him for that. The model didn't sell anyway. I played one - didn't buy it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydaddymusic ➡️
Since I created this thread I have discovered boost pedals (I bought the TC Spark)- What got me on this was the buzz surrounding the Boss EQ and gain pedal- I found that many of heroes use some sort of EQ and or boost on the way in, which makes sense.
What I was wanting was the gain and not having to crank my Princeton to get a sound that I like.

Additionally, I have gotten a G&L Fallout which has a P90 neck and hum bucker on the bridge, and I love love love this guitar. The blend of the two is silly great to record with. I can drive my amps in really diverse ways and I love it.
Discovered boost pedals? Welcome to the rabbit hole. A very, very deep one
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If you're not trying to record And Justice For All
one of the worst tones ever
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
one of the worst tones ever
Post examples of tones where you've exceeded the AJFA tones then, or you're just whining.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Post examples of tones where you've exceeded the AJFA tones then, or you're just whining.
AJFA? what is that?

It would be tough to exceed guitar tone that terrible, Doubt anyone could come with anything worse.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
AJFA? what is that?

It would be tough to exceed guitar tone that terrible, Doubt anyone could come with anything worse.
lol right. all talk.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Chet Atkins was a country player and I think I clearly stated single coils are for country. As far as Hendrix goes he used lots of pedals and he had to use 4 + Marshall stacks on 10 to get a good tone. Times have changed. With a good humbucker you only need a small combo amp these days and no pedals or detunings.

Do me a favor, name one guitarist who had big tone on a stock strat, who played a small combo amp in standard tuning with no pedals.

Name just one player one, name just one!!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
lol right. all talk.
yeah the truth though. One of the worst guitar tones ever. Kirk's solos are amateur night
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Humbuckers are typically less noisy, often substantially less noisy. For me, this is a huge advantage. Two single coils together (like switches 2 and 4 on a strat) also help cancel the electronic noise.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Do me a favor, name one guitarist who had big tone on a stock strat, who played a small combo amp in standard tuning with no pedals.

This is a completely flawed premise.

In the 60's and 70's if you were in a band that was playing more than a coffeehouse gig you needed a big amp (or a few) not a small combo to be heard by a sizable crowd no matter what kind of guitar sound one was sporting.

Not sure what exactly "big tone" means to you, a lot of distortion isn't the only definition of big tone to most people truly interested in guitar and the history of it's sounds.

Leaving the land of live sound which as I pointed out requires big amps, Derick and the Dominos Layla is known for some pretty large tones that were made with little Fender Champs.

If you are into more gain/distortion than that then it's not so much the size of the amp but what was used along with it.

Early fuzz pedals, treble boosters, and other devices used to either drive amps harder or overload themselves is in most cases what made the big distorted sounds.

Sure before these boxes existed old school humbuckers could get you a bit more output than single coils but really distorted guitar sounds didn't really happen until these pedals came on the scene in the mid to late 60's.

Hendrix had his Fuzzface, Page his Tonebenders, Gilmore his Fuzzfaces then the Big Muff, Richie Blackmore the Hornby Skewes Treble booster, ect...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Chet Atkins was a country player and I think I clearly stated single coils are for country. As far as Hendrix goes he used lots of pedals and he had to use 4 + Marshall stacks on 10 to get a good tone. Times have changed. With a good humbucker you only need a small combo amp these days and no pedals or detunings.

Ditto name one who used HBs without pedals or a super hot amp?
So strat players : Richie Blackmore was a guitar-amp guy. Yngwie Malmsteen used a boost pedal, ditto Brian May.
K.K. Downing, Glenn Tipton, Dave Murray, and Matthias Jabs
Now with regard to gain pedals - is that equivalent to going into a super hot amp? Its just another gain stage, isn't it? Now a PAF HB is not hotter then, say a p90 and was designed to emulate one. As for the ugly sounding hot pickups - I have an 80s strat with Bareknuckle sinners, which are hotter then any HB I own and into a gainy amp can do anything HBs can do and then some.
So go investigate, learn then come back here to make an educated statement.
📝 Reply