Quantcast
212 amp, one speaker blown, advice please. - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
212 amp, one speaker blown, advice please.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dalton ➡️
Something you can try, and its been known to work. Rotate the buzzing speaker 180 degrees.
Thanks for this info. I'm gonna try this as a temporary quick fix.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 ➡️
...So ideally you need speakers that will each handle at least that output, but not as bad as 300 watts by less than half....

...There's a decent selection these days of 130++ wattage handling speakers, even from Peavey, but also from Eminence and others.
I'm a bit confused with the wording, "but not as bad as 300 Watts by less than half." Am I to assume that I should punch above 130w per speaker but I don't want more than 150w because That will add up to 300w which is the max load or something?
In terms of selecting speakers there aren't any retailers that I can find that deal with peavey products in the EU but outside of the UK. In general I would avoid ordering from the UK as there can be some unforeseen taxes popping up.
I think I wanted more clarification with the impedance situation. With 4ohm I have limited selection, plenty more with 8ohm. I'm sure 8ohm speakers wouldn't be a problem for it but would I be better sticking to what it wants to handle since it's kind of an old amp?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
First, the mention of 300 watts was to respond to you, whom I imagine looked at the max power the amp consumes to produce 260 watts as 130 watts x 2. 300 watt speakers are simply less common than 130 watt speakers, so reduced options. Odds are quite good that using 8ohm drivers would be OK with little change other than headroom.

Using 8ohm speakers in place of 4ohm speakers would simply drop the output power roughly in half, down to ~65 watts. That might be a possibility, even a desirable reduction considering you'd still have ~130 watts total. 260 watts these days is overkill for most players.

I am a bit surprised nobody handles Peavey parts in EU, but I'd imagine Eminence is available and you certainly have good brands, including Celestion (just not preferring 50 watt cheapie models) available to you. Good Luck, Bro. I hope you find a reasonable solution you can find and afford and the sound "Gets Gud".

Last edited by enorbet2; 1 week ago at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo fixed
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 ➡️
First, the mention of 300 watts was to respond to you, whom I imagine looked at the max power the amp consumes to produce 260 watts as 130 watts x 2. 300 watt speakers are simply less common that 130 watt speakers, so reduced options. Odds are quite good that using 8ohm drivers would be OK with little change other than headroom.

Using 8ohm speakers in place of 4ohm speakers would simply drop the output power roughly in half, down to ~65 watts. That might be a possibility, even a desirable reduction considering you'd still have ~130 watts total. 260 watts these days is overkill for most players.

I am a bit surprised nobody handles Peavey parts in EU, but I'd imagine Eminence is available and you certainly have good brands, including Celestion (just not preferring 50 watt cheapie models) available to you. Good Luck, Bro. I hope you find a reasonable solution you can find and afford and the sound "Gets Gud".
Super clear and helpful. Thanks so much
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrey ➡️
Hello, I am in need of advice of those who have acquired more speaker load knowledge than I. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have a Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Scorpion amp with one of the 12" speakers blown/heavy distorted buzzing and am in need of using the amp, but have no funds to fix.

According to the manual the speakers are 8 ohm each. And the amp states it needs an 8 ohm minimum load, so I am assuming the 2 speakers are wired in series and not parallel.

My question is, can I disconnect the blown speaker and use the amp with only the one good 12". I realize the sound will change, but will it cause any damage to the amp.

Thanks!
GG
NO, you can't. This is a stereo amp with an individual power amp for each speaker. Well, you could, as long as you don't try to connect the speaker outputs to the same speaker, but you'll be missing half the amp and any "stereo" effects are gonna sound pretty funny....
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
NO, you can't. This is a stereo amp with an individual power amp for each speaker. Well, you could, as long as you don't try to connect the speaker outputs to the same speaker, but you'll be missing half the amp and any "stereo" effects are gonna sound pretty funny....
Lol my bad for reviving this thread. Pretty sure you've said no already 🤪
Here for the gear
Quote:
If you wanna chime in on my question though I'm all ears!
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. It is a SS amp.

"The way to minimize this problem is to disconnect and short the terminals on the bad driver"

I am not very tech savvy...How do I do short the terminals?
DO NOT SHORT YOUR SPEAKER WIRES! YOU WILL DESTROY THE POWER AMP IN THAT CHANNEL!

That HAS to be the dumbest "advice" I've ever seen here.

Or you're talking about shorting the terminals on the speaker itself AFTER disconnecting, that won't hurt anything, but doing it is utterly pointless, as it won't help anything, either.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul o ➡️
You would just put a piece of wire across the terminals, but after looking up the model I don't think this will be necessary as it's an open back cab anyway, so just make sure the disconnected amp leads can't short together or to anything metal.
You comments make zero sense. Open back/closed back, it makes no difference in this case.

And you NEVER need to short speaker terminals. It's useless at best, VERY destructive at worst.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the input and recommendations. From above from paulo....

""""Just looked it up and appears it's a stereo solid state amp""""

And as such has one power amp per speaker. I have always understood you cannot power an amp without a speaker load. You risk burning out the amplifier circuits. True, or not?
True FOR TUBE AMPS ONLY. Solid State amps don't care if there's no load but will not tolerate a load with too low impedance
Gear Addict

Quote:
You comments make zero sense. Open back/closed back, it makes no difference in this case.

And you NEVER need to short speaker terminals. It's useless at best, VERY destructive at worst.
Why are you commenting on my post? You don't have any clue what I was referring to with this suggestion so please refrain from making comments on things that are WAY over your head.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
True FOR TUBE AMPS ONLY. Solid State amps don't care if there's no load but will not tolerate a load with too low impedance
Damn John, Looks like everything is pretty normal for you, Dude.
Fake or real fender strat
📝 Reply