Quantcast
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X
Old 26th May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Two Notes Torpedo Captor X

So the Captor X has been coming up on my youtube page a fair bit.

Anyone own it? How does it compare to other loadboxs or a digital solution? Be interested to know.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm also curious because this unit seems perfect for me. The UA Ox is too bulky and the price is ridiculous for what it does. The Captor X seems perfect.i also like that you can load impulses into it.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Rhett Shull just posted a review of the Captor X vs. the OX box here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQoPxwl7Q4

His big issue is the on-board reverb, but if it's for recording, who doesn't have a selection of reverb, either hardware or plugins?

Price is a lot better too.
Old 28th May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah im curious. I picked up a Friyette Power Station which is similar and was the best deal at the time vs Ox. The Captor looks like an even better deal.

I love the Friyette tho no regrets. Great attenuator too.
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

Rhett is smoking his own poopy cigars on the reverb... that’s not what this box is doing at all... if you’re using it at a live gig, you’ve already got a reverb for that... if you’re using it for recording... you’ve already got 10000 reverbs for that

Besides, it’s the exact same tech that anybody familiar with TwoNotes has been using for years... Rhett seems brand new to the wall of sound universe

It’s almost like he had to say something poopy lol

I agree with him about the weird attenuation level steps and everything else
Old 28th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Rhett is smoking his own poopy cigars on the reverb... that’s not what this box is doing at all... if you’re using it at a live gig, you’ve already got a reverb for that... if you’re using it for recording... you’ve already got 10000 reverbs for that

Besides, it’s the exact same tech that anybody familiar with TwoNotes has been using for years... Rhett seems brand new to the wall of sound universe

Yeap. That box looks like a cut-down Live box of theirs. Don't see what is the big deal there
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan ➡️
Yeap. That box looks like a cut-down Live box of theirs. Don't see what is the big deal there
Yah... almost enough features to be interesting to me... im torn lol

But they sure sent a lot out to the youtube nation to review... which is cool, but, it’s just the same old tech repackaged in a different form factor...

I love the company though!
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fwiw, you might be more flexible (and get along yet a little cheaper) with the plain Captor 8 Ohms and an external IR loader (such as the AMT Pangaea, the Mooer Radar or whatever), depending on what features you really need.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yah... almost enough features to be interesting to me... im torn lol

But they sure sent a lot out to the youtube nation to review... which is cool, but, it’s just the same old tech repackaged in a different form factor...

I love the company though!
Yes, with fewer IO options and less flexible loading
Its also Captor and CABM in one box
Old 28th May 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From my perspective, I don't want some big rack unit so the small footprint is great. They released a bunch of smaller half-measure products before, but none that simply allow you to run your amp into your daw with speaker sim built with no latency.

The price point makes it sensible, unlike the OX.

The Shuhr Reactive IR also seems great but I'd rather have a software interface on my PC for assigning things etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

He had to say something negative because he has a free UAD OX sitting in shot of every video, provided by UAD for free, and he doesn't want to burn bridges with UAD. To be fair to him, I'm sure the UAD reverbs are better - but as you say, reverb is the one thing we all have covered for recording.
Old 29th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb ➡️
He had to say something negative because he has a free UAD OX sitting in shot of every video, provided by UAD for free, and he doesn't want to burn bridges with UAD. To be fair to him, I'm sure the UAD reverbs are better - but as you say, reverb is the one thing we all have covered for recording.
Ha... I’m just busting his chops... I thought his review was really even handed
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cheers for the replies.

Listening to the demos, I cant hear improvement over the other load box options, or a Kemper for that matter. Seems like there's a few more outboard options, that's about it really. An SPDIF option would make it more interesting, especially at that price.

If any owners want to tell me different, I'm happy to hear it.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interesting.. I just bought a bad cat hot cat 15r hand wired head and 1x12 cab today and am looking for a silent recording solution as well a headphone amp for playing.

Who has recorded through one of these as I too have been bombarded with YouTube suggestions but the cats I bought the amp from thought the Suhr reactive IR was better by a noticeable amount. Not sure if that was marketing patter or something real?

Wiggy
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut ➡️
Interesting.. I just bought a bad cat hot cat 15r hand wired head and 1x12 cab today and am looking for a silent recording solution as well a headphone amp for playing.

Who has recorded through one of these as I too have been bombarded with YouTube suggestions but the cats I bought the amp from thought the Suhr reactive IR was better by a noticeable amount. Not sure if that was marketing patter or something real?

Wiggy
I have the 2Nots Live and 2Notes Torpedo CAB (x2). Also 2xTorpedo Reload. Had a Studio, but other then other IOs it did not offer any more then what I already had, at a higher price.
I has a Suhr Reactive Load IR here for about a month (an acquaintance was selling it) and although it is a very good box, there was nothing it did better then the 2Notes. And 2 Notes integrates with the WOS software very well. I returned it.
IMHO 2Notes offers a much better integrated solution with an excellent sound.
I also disagree with Rhett Shull's review, the UA unit was less versatile and in no way was reverb better then whats in the 2Notes. It generates some distortion when driven, but that's not what I want out of a Load-box with IRs. That's what the amp is doing.
Just my .02$
Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence T ➡️
Cheers for the replies.

Listening to the demos, I cant hear improvement over the other load box options, or a Kemper for that matter. Seems like there's a few more outboard options, that's about it really. An SPDIF option would make it more interesting, especially at that price.

If any owners want to tell me different, I'm happy to hear it.
Torpedo Live has SPDIF.
Old 6th June 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Listening to the demos, there's nothing that screams at me to ditch my current setup and go and buy one. But if I had a collection of amps, I'd definitely consider it.
Old 5th September 2020
Here for the gear

I've had one for about a week. I really dig that it is in stereo as it provides some options I can really use. The attenuation is nothing special but nice to have the option. The sound of the load has me on the fence as it can be a bit fizzy or missing some lower mids. Nothing that can't be EQ'd in/out and Two Notes certainly does give you the tools to tailor your tone. But you really have to work at it. I wish they would have incorporated more features available in the WOS. I found myself really liking a configuration in WOS that I am struggling to duplicate in Torpedo Remote. I haven't done a mix yet but I can imagine the tones Your get from this unit will sit well in a mix. Clean tones are really nice too.

Can anyone with experience give a comparison between the Captor X and the Reload? also the Suhr RLIR. Particularly the overall sound quality. I may switch if it is worth the extra $$. But if the difference is marginal it is worth every bit of $550 and worth keeping.
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtparactitioner ➡️
I've had one for about a week. I really dig that it is in stereo as it provides some options I can really use. The attenuation is nothing special but nice to have the option. The sound of the load has me on the fence as it can be a bit fizzy or missing some lower mids. Nothing that can't be EQ'd in/out and Two Notes certainly does give you the tools to tailor your tone. But you really have to work at it. I wish they would have incorporated more features available in the WOS. I found myself really liking a configuration in WOS that I am struggling to duplicate in Torpedo Remote. I haven't done a mix yet but I can imagine the tones Your get from this unit will sit well in a mix. Clean tones are really nice too.

Can anyone with experience give a comparison between the Captor X and the Reload? also the Suhr RLIR. Particularly the overall sound quality. I may switch if it is worth the extra $$. But if the difference is marginal it is worth every bit of $550 and worth keeping.
Reload is a re-amp, load-box.. without the IR inbuilt. You need to use WoS for that. Captor is a load/IR integrated box (the new one) but its features for what the Reload is used are very limited. Very different tools.
SuhrIR is more like the new Captor. Pretty similar. Some recon it sounds better, others disagree. I would prefer the Captor because of better plugin. But YMMV.
Here in Aus, there is quite a price difference between the CaptorX and the SuhrIR. One which I cannot justify
Old 6th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am interested in why some people like the Suhr RLIR more. What characteristics. Is it fuller, warmer, less distorted sounding. I see users who say they like one over the other but their pros seem to center around features outside of tone when it comes to the Captor. Where as the pros with the Suhr seem to center around the 'feel' and the sound. Which indicates that it just sounds closer to the natural signal going to a real speaker (for a load signal).
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtparactitioner ➡️
I am interested in why some people like the Suhr RLIR more. What characteristics. Is it fuller, warmer, less distorted sounding. I see users who say they like one over the other but their pros seem to center around features outside of tone when it comes to the Captor. Where as the pros with the Suhr seem to center around the 'feel' and the sound. Which indicates that it just sounds closer to the natural signal going to a real speaker (for a load signal).
It does have a tone. Which is one of the reasons I didn't like it. I want un-coloured IRs or a clean load. I have enough Suhr stuff, and don't need that tone (which is not a "good for everything" tone) on every time i use it.
Having said that, Suhr is a very good box. I just found that 2 Notes offers better value for money, is more versatile and useful in more instances.
YMMV
Old 7th September 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for your feedback. In the end what really matters is a decent capture of tone how it sits in a mix. Probably comparing Apple to Apple here with different skin colors.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've just bought a captor X and like everyone is saying the reverb comments aren't that relevant.

I've only used it on one track with one amp and I got a great tone from it. As everyone is saying I turned off the reverb etc as I Like to record dry and then use a stereo studio verb when mixing. I use Yamaha Rev-X verb while tracking on my head phone mix.

you also get 30 extra cabinets included with the captor x purchase for the wall of sound plugin so you can record a straight Di signal if you like and use that instead, so many possible uses.

It has proper XLR out's unlike the OX and looks/feels like it's very sturdy and road ready, unlike the OX.

Really great unit.

I did a quick AB test. I was using my Tweedle Dee into a 2 notes Vintage 30 with a 57. I then plugged in my own real vintage 30 and 57 and recorded a track.

they sounded very similar , really close, I couldn't say which was best. That convinced me that I'd nothing to fear about recording this way if I wanted/needed to.

I have a great amp/speaker collection and a studio where I don'[t need to work about noise but this is a great tool.

M
Old 17th September 2020
I opted for the captor instead of the captorx. Use it for recording at home works and sounds great with the right irs..the price difference was what sold me on the captor and I'm not using it for live stuff I just can't turn my hundred watt marshall up when the kids and wife are in bed lol. For recording I love it.
Old 17th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
here's a thing I though of too: I have a kemper and I thought that if I'm working with the captor x and a certain amp and find a lovely tone from the various speaker/mic IR's I could just stick the Kemper in line and profile that exact tone. Save it for posterity :D

Just a thought.

M
Old 17th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
here's a thing I though of too: I have a kemper and I thought that if I'm working with the captor x and a certain amp and find a lovely tone from the various speaker/mic IR's I could just stick the Kemper in line and profile that exact tone. Save it for posterity :D
Just a thought.
M
I did that with a Two Notes Live just to see how profiling works and I'm happy with the result. A lot of potential there.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've gone with the Radial Headload, I like Analog load boxes as there isn't any latency. As you all know Radial make exceptional stuff. With the Headload I can record Pre and Post JDX, I use the WoS or GGD Zilla IR's on the PRE JDX track after recording and just blend everything to taste.
Old 12th March 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'll watch Rhett's review but as far as the bluetooth, can you send the BT signal from the captor to your phone and listen/control the Captor remotely?
Old 1st April 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just started getting into this Two Notes stuff a couple weeks ago. Maybe a bit late to the party. I got sick of recording my little Bugera 112 stuffed in a makeshift isolation closet with a 57 though. So I picked up the original Captor after messing about with the Wall of Sound plugin and really liking it. The original Captor seemed a better buy for recording silently, as Wall of Sound seems to do more than Torpedo Remote is able to do, namely, stacking cabinets, which is huge for me. Really helps smooth out those oddities that come along with IRs. Mixing different cabs creates a balance you can't really get with one cab, even with multiple mics. Wall of Sound lets you stack as many cabs as you want.
Old 1st April 2021
Here for the gear
I just got it a couple of weeks ago, and am very happy with it.

I am using it for recording, feeding its outputs into a Tascam 8p Dyna pre-amp which sends the signal to a Motu 828 audio over optical ADAT.

I have been using plugins like Amplitube and Guitar Rig in my DAW to process my guitar input, and they are both very weak in producing tones that I am interested in.

But the Captor-X, which I am feeding from a Fender DeVille Hot Rod 60Watt tube amp is many steps above what I get from amp modeling plugins.

Amplitube and Guitar Rig were a waste of money now that I have the Captor-X.

After messing with a variety of effect plug-ins I am pulling out my olds pedals and re-looking at them with the Captor-X in the signal path to see if I get the same quality boost of real hardware vs synth that the Captor-X demonstrated to me.
📝 Reply