The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neural DSP Quad Cortex
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhead ➡️
I think these guys will eventually get this to the level of their software plugins which is what most people were expecting on first announcement I think.

I’m going to give it a year and see how it fares against Fractal FM3 although it looks more similar to Kemper than Axe FX in my opinion right now.

I’m still using a Mooer Preamp Live paired with HX Effects, but have bought individual analog preamps for almost all the Marshall sounds I wanted. The JCM 900 model is the only modeling Marshall I use anymore. I definitely still use VH4, Hagen, Blues Deluxe, Two Rock, VHT Pitbull models though. Also really like a few super clean amp models. Zero complaints on HX Effects. I think Fractal has the edge on FX right now, but I suspect it will be some leap-frogging that happens with FX quality.

I was going to make the jump to Fractal this year but I can wait a year and see what the QC has to offer. Also the Helix Stomp if it gets updates this year which I expect will happen a few times.

A lot of hype over the QC though and bombardment from influencers kind of soured my opinion of it. Looking at it realistically though, it has amazing potential when it matures a bit. The interface is pretty great.

I’ve come to like going for the recorded, mic’d sounds I hear on favorite songs, with my modeler, and for a more raw live sound with my analog preamps and amps. Both have their place in my gear lineup. Competition is good for spurring on updates and better pricing.
I'm a Neural DSP customer a few times over with their plugins but I also got completely turned off by the hype and those YT influencers. I used to like watching those guys when they just played for the sake of playing. Now they are all paid shills and it's unsubscribe time
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think approaching these devices for what they are ... things that take the raw sound from your guitar and process it for your play and/or recording system is what matters.
Forget about whether it's a dead-on perfect simulator of another device. Does it sound good for what it is?
Like the tedious analogue v's digital, SS vs valve, hand wired THT vs SMT discussion, ignore the fidelity to some pre-existing equipment ... look and listen past the preconceptions. Is it nice to use and does it make inspiring sounds?
If it sounds great, just like a Fender amp you once enjoyed playing at a friend's place ... does it matter if the modeller is calling it an Orange?
If it sounds perfectly good and fits in an easily carried bag, doesn't that make it a "better" tool for many than an enormously bulky and heavy fragile piece of kit that needs expensive and time-consuming servicing regularly, and only sounds it's best on days with the letter T in them when Mars is rising in Andromeda?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonhead ➡️
Looking at it realistically though, it has amazing potential when it matures a bit. The interface is pretty great.
They do have some bugs to work out. They did release an update this week to address the more pressing issues. I'm curious to see how that maturity formulates. They've undoubtedly created a strong platform for guitarists and I hope they keep with the updates.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

First week with QC has been a blast. I'm making lots of captures and presets. It sounds very good. Still needs some maturing, but a fine offering as of now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just pre ordered mine after reading, watching, and listening to everything I could find on it

Like a lot here I have been thru almost everything for guitar. POD years ago, Fractal, Kemper, Plugs, etc

I actually have kept my Yamaha THR 100HD over all of them for simple but great sounding rock stuff, that slight chimney break up that I love from my real amps

The Cory Wong plugin for me was one of the best sounding guitar plugs ever and it brought me into the Neural universe. For me, I will give this an honest try and see how it fares for what I need most, the above mentioned rhythm slight chimney break up, lead sounds, esoteric stuff, ease of use, quality etc

So far I have been very impressed with the sounds of its profiling, more than I thought I would. I also believe the profiles or whatever they are called here were Better then the kemper ones. But I also did love my kemper.

I like the form factor, and there knobs matching the onscreen parameters a lot as well

I hope its built well and is well supported. I am looking forward to seeing it when it gets here, and I also do hope they get an editor going as well

Also reading the huge thread on the gear page they seem to be very very positive reviews so far
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Cory Wong seems to get the most love when it comes to Neural plugs. It's not their most versatile (the DI channel, which is 1/3rd of the sim, locks you into certain sounds/styles), but for what it does do, the sound is great.

I wonder if the proprietary hardware of the QC allows them to build more high-quality versions of these existing products. When coding for computers, they must consider the wide range of CPUs, and that might tie their hands a bit. With the QC, they know exactly where their ceiling is, and that might allow them to change how they handle the signal. I don't know -- just a thought. I have no real complaints about Cory Wong, but, as with most things, it can always be improved upon.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan ➡️
Well the new versions of the 15 year old chips. There is also the thing of making a very efficient software
Newly built maybe. But with the same lame and outdated DSP power. Thats why even with their "very efficient software" one can only run a very limited amount of instances of some of their better plug ins.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy ➡️
Newly built maybe. But with the same lame and outdated DSP power. Thats why even with their "very efficient software" one can only run a very limited amount of instances of some of their better plug ins.
I have to agree, and this is what has kept me away from those satellite products.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I have to agree, and this is what has kept me away from those satellite products.
Thats why I haven't bought a new plug in by them for my quad core in the last 5 years and instead invested in plugins that don't require a outdated DSP.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The main question is "does it work" and "does it work well". I don't care if they use tube computer technology, as long as the sound is what I need and expect.
I just bought another guitar . Very old recipe, you know wood, wire, magnets, bits of metal. Not a chip in sight, no gallium arsenide derivative anywhere. DSP or other. I think i like it .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The main question is "does it work" and "does it work well". I don't care if they use tube computer technology, as long as the sound is what I need and expect.
I just bought another guitar . Very old recipe, you know wood, wire, magnets, bits of metal. Not a chip in sight, no gallium arsenide derivative anywhere. DSP or other. I think i like it .
But thats a bad analogy. Do stay on a bad analogy: You can plug your guitar into any amp you want. You are not limited to say a 10 watt solid state amp and each time you want something louder you have to cluster 10 of this amps.

Imagine NeuralDsp using an old outdated DSP chip in der QC that with some models only allows you 1 amp and no FX instead of 4 amps at the same time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But thats a bad analogy. Do stay on a bad analogy: You can plug your guitar into any amp you want. You are not limited to say a 10 watt solid state amp and each time you want something louder you have to cluster 10 of this amps.

Imagine NeuralDsp using an old outdated DSP chip in der QC that with some models only allows you 1 amp and no FX instead of 4 amps at the same time.
I think its an excellent analogy. While there is plenty of processing power in QC (4 autonomous lines, enough for a band) there is definitely never enough guitars
Now instead of clustering SS amps (would never cross my mind), I can cluster say 2xQC if i want a guitar based big band
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think its an excellent analogy. While there is plenty of processing power in QC (4 autonomous lines, enough for a band) there is definitely never enough guitars
Now instead of clustering SS amps (would never cross my mind), I can cluster say 2xQC if i want a guitar based big band
Yeah. But imagine NDSP using better models in the future and thus you won't be able to use 4 autonomous lines with the new models.
And in 5 years, instead of a QC 2 with better DSP you have to buy an extension pedal that only contains some DSP to finally use 4 lines of those better models. Only thing, in the meantime their very newer models use even more DSP so that you have to buy 2 or 3 of those extension pedals.
That is what UA does.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah. But imagine NDSP using better models in the future and thus you won't be able to use 4 autonomous lines with the new models.
And in 5 years, instead of a QC 2 with better DSP you have to buy an extension pedal that only contains some DSP to finally use 4 lines of those better models. Only thing, in the meantime their very newer models use even more DSP so that you have to buy 2 or 3 of those extension pedals.
That is what UA does.
Exactly. Modular expansion. Still not a real tube thingy but good enough profile. That's what i expected from kemper. But its the same thing 9 years later minus bugs. May be QC is what I'm looking for.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Neural has continued to refine their process for creating sims and there's no reason to think that that approach will cease with the QC. And it won't necessarily require *more* processing -- evolutions can arrive via smarter code, not just larger code.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Exactly. Modular expansion. Still not a real tube thingy but good enough profile. That's what i expected from kemper. But its the same thing 9 years later minus bugs. May be QC is what I'm looking for.
Come on Yuri - be brave and buy one ..... seems some peeps aren't quite convinced enough to pull the trigger here. If you don't like it you can return it (to Finland)
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixertrix ➡️
Come on Yuri - be brave and buy one ..... seems some peeps aren't quite convinced enough to pull the trigger here. If you don't like it you can return it (to Finland)
I think it would be super easy to sell it if you didn't like it. Probably even make a profit
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon ➡️
I think it would be super easy to sell it if you didn't like it. Probably even make a profit
According to TGP they are already on the open market with massively inflated prices.
The music business has always been a breeding ground for mugs
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
According to TGP they are already on the open market with massively inflated prices.
The music business has always been a breeding ground for mugs
The prices are crazy, but they're actually selling at those prices. Value = what people are willing to pay for it. I'd be ok just getting on the waiting list.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Been there, done that. With Kemper, Helix. Was lucky enough after years to get an AXE for experimentation. Had it here for 3 weeks (he had my Road King in the meantime - wants to trade for the Road King). I think AXE is too complex, not very user friendly (a pain a session) and everything sounds "samey"
So will wait until some hands-on experience. From what I have seen, the QC user interface is very good.
I want to buy 2 so its quite an investment to buy blind.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon ➡️
That's what i though about the Kemper - lost quite abit of money
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Neural will eventually deliver enough units so that the price gougers won't be able to operate their game of Flip. If you can get in *before* that happens then you're somewhat assured to make a profit. If it's after the primary batch of orders is filled then... yeah, you'd probably lose $$.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Neural will eventually deliver enough units so that the price gougers won't be able to operate their game of Flip. If you can get in *before* that happens then you're somewhat assured to make a profit. If it's after the primary batch of orders is filled then... yeah, you'd probably lose $$.
I am not interested in making money on 1 or 2 QCs. It is not financially interesting. I need a tool, which does what I want. If it performs, I'll buy 2. If not I will buy zero. Simple math.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thought you only had one for a month - couldn't you have just returned it? When I had my studio we could demo gear pretty easily.
Or bought s/h?
Over this way the s/h prices for Kemper's haven't dropped in years.
Quality hold it's value.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I thought you only had one for a month - couldn't you have just returned it? When I had my studio we could demo gear pretty easily.
Or bought s/h?
Over this way the s/h prices for Kemper's haven't dropped in years.
Quality hold it's value.
I live in Australia - return policies here are "not what you are used to in the US" if you get my drift. And many US manufacturers disregard complaints, saying talk to the distributor. I don't deal with people like that any more.
One example i had was buying 35 guitar stands from a mob called Hercules. After a year and a half the locks rubber started disintegrating and the springs and pins started falling out. I contacted the distributor asking to replace an item which was advertised as "lifetime warranty". Got nothing. Went to the manufacturer, was sent back to the distributor. And so on for the last 5 years. Goes without saying I don't recommend or deal with the overpriced crap brand and the distributor. Similar situation with the onstage brand - you ask for parts, to buy, and get no reply. Nothing. So that mob is off the list too. I bough Chinese stands. They feel better, and cost 1/3 of the price. I can buy 3 of those for the price of one onstage stand. I can afford to throw 2 out if they break before i start worrying re replacement. After all there is plenty of fish in the sea. And everything can be bought on merit.
With Kemper I had high hopes so held on to that longer. Didn't work out. I sold it to a guy who later sold it to a friend of mine. So I can borrow if i need it desperately. But will not buy one as it did not get better, profiling wise. Despite covid (everybody wants twice the retail price when selling SH) prices on Kempers started falling quite a bit. I presume people want the latest and the greatest, so they can discuss features. And at the moment its QC. So far I liked what they said. But I liked what was said re Kemper and got burned. So now i am more cautious. The digital equipment does not hold value like "old" tube gear. Or SS - try buying Neve preamps.
Gear Maniac

Perhaps it would help everyone if the OP actually gave a candid update on his experiences with the QC so far, rather than the glossy reply given 5 days ago .....
@ tjontheroad ?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
But I liked what was said re Kemper and got burned. So now i am more cautious. The digital equipment does not hold value like "old" tube gear. Or SS - try buying Neve preamps.
Anyone hoping to use their gear while simultaneously watching its value elevate, dig into the world of boutique guitar pedals. If you have the patience to get in the waiting line and buy direct from the manufacturer, with certain products you could double your money *and* have great pedals at your disposal. I have some that have quadrupled since their purchase date, and I still use them. Others have doubled. It's a volatile market, but if you do your homework and monitor the trends closely, it can be an equitable hobby.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps it would help everyone if the OP actually gave a candid update on his experiences with the QC so far, rather than the glossy reply given 5 days ago .....
@ tjontheroad ?
A lot has happened in those 5 days. NDSP is today sending me a brand new Quad Cortex. This because yesterday it sent the capture test signals to the main outputs instead of the capture out that is hooked up to the amp input. This is the second time that happened. This time, it fried two mic inputs on my 32 channel mixer.

I discussed this all here;
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...#post-32353341

I have some theories as to how and why this all happened. But, I want to talk to NDSP support first to help them sort it all out. That way it doesn't happen again.

My overall feeling about Quad Cortex is that it's a very good sounding modeler with an easy to use UI and excellent form factor. But, it needs some maturing in many many small but important details to be considered top of the heap.

Here a YouTube playlist of my Quad Cortex journey so far.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...sBAQvVosOxcp_k
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Anyone hoping to use their gear while simultaneously watching its value elevate, dig into the world of boutique guitar pedals. If you have the patience to get in the waiting line and buy direct from the manufacturer, with certain products you could double your money *and* have great pedals at your disposal. I have some that have quadrupled since their purchase date, and I still use them. Others have doubled. It's a volatile market, but if you do your homework and monitor the trends closely, it can be an equitable hobby.
Yes, my original DAM pedals went up from ~200 each when i bought them into thousands. Lots of others same. And of course Klon is a joke. Lucky i have 2. Not even talking my vintage fuzz's, Mutronics stuff...
Must say these days those come out very rarely.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
A lot has happened in those 5 days. NDSP is today sending me a brand new Quad Cortex. This because yesterday it sent the capture test signals to the main outputs instead of the capture out that is hooked up to the amp input. This is the second time that happened. This time, it fried two mic inputs on my 32 channel mixer.

I discussed this all here;
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...#post-32353341

I have some theories as to how and why this all happened. But, I want to talk to NDSP support first to help them sort it all out. That way it doesn't happen again.

My overall feeling about Quad Cortex is that it's a very good sounding modeler with an easy to use UI and excellent form factor. But, it needs some maturing in many many small but important details to be considered top of the heap.

Here a YouTube playlist of my Quad Cortex journey so far.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...sBAQvVosOxcp_k
Sounds like quality control issue. Surely they didn't release an untested product? But for the money I would expect them testing every unit.
Early baby sickness. Will wait and see.
📝 Reply