Quantcast
Schaller 475 roller bridge - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schaller 475 roller bridge
Old 31st January 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Schaller 475 roller bridge

Anybody have a lot of experience with the Schaller 475 flat-mount hardtail roller bridge?

Curious what your impressions are, whether you would want one on a guitar you played regularly, whether there are issues to be aware of, etc.

Full disclosure: I've owned one for almost 20 years. But A) it's installed on a really crappy guitar, so any shortcomings I might think I've encountered can't be unequivocally blamed on just the bridge itself; and B) I'm primarily a bass player, so what the hell do I know about guitars? (I do also have the bass version on one of my basses and I *love* it, no complaints whatsoever. So maybe I'm just paranoid since you rarely see guitars with these bridges.)

I'm thinking of cannibalizing the Really Crappy Guitar™ and putting its pickups (Duncan Vintage Rails) and this Schaller bridge on a new Warmoth neck & body. But if there's a known issue with the Schaller bridge I'd rather just buy a new something else.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

what shortcomings in particular has your guitar?

Do you have a good tube amp or nice guitar modeler?
If not, your problems are 90% there.

A crappy guitar equipped with good pickups, a decent setup and average wiring, can be used on a stage to play in a stadium and no one would notice what is it (soundwise).

Killing a guitar that has served you for 20 years is a cruel act
And you would regret it one day.

The Warmoth project is interesting, make a little effort and take new bridge and pickups. So you have 2 nice babes.
If you want variety, you can also buy some pickups of other after market brands like some nice Lollars, Lindy Fralin, Gibson, Harmonic Design, The Creamery Uk, I-Spira... (just buy a set of the same brand because if not you can encounter phase and polarity issues for the combined positions)

However if you are in love with your actual pickups and want not to spend too much, you can take them away from the old babe and retrofit her with a set of GFS pickups (Cheap but quite good for the price), so you can still use it in future.
Old 1st February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They tend sit higher than similar stock bridges
Old 2nd February 2019
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, I don't see much point in a roller bridge on a non-vibrato instrument but I also really don't see much wrong with it either. Maybe the rollers decouple the strings from the body or eat a little energy, maybe not. Schaller generally makes top line stuff.

What do you think might be wrong with it?
Old 3rd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 ➡️
what shortcomings in particular has your guitar?
Way too many to list; but many of those existed before I upgraded the pickups and tuners and bridge, so I often wonder if those are just inherent problems w/ the original neck and/or body. Bear in mind this guitar is a $199 entry level Yamaha from 1985. Cheap POS with mahogany neck & body.

Or it may have to do with the fact that the frets have never been dressed/leveled in the ~35 tears I've owned it.

But in short: It feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands when you play it aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
What do you think might be wrong with it?
I'm not sure *I* think anything's wrong with it, I'm wondering if others -- especially luthiers and manufacturers -- might think there's something wrong with it. Otherwise, wouldn't we see more of them out there in the wild? I think the only guitars I've ever seen with a Schaller 475 bridge are some Linc Luthier models, and a Warmoth or two.
Old 3rd February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross ➡️
But in short: It feels like it's going to fall apart in your hands when you play it aggressively.
Have you ever changed pots,selector and wiring or are default ones?
Also well, yes, a fret work and a full complete setup including truss rod adjustment, would improve playability.

While I think that reselling or burning on the stage () a 10th or 100th guitar of our "stock", a musician should always keep and love that old tiny cheap guitar that has bought many many many years ago. You know what is the Scrooge McDuck Number One Dime.
Old 3rd February 2019
Any bridge part that can move will absorb vibrations.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Any bridge part that can move will absorb vibrations.
Maybe, maybe not. If the string tension holds the roller snugly against the axle, it shouldn't be a problem. I know it was never an issue with my Kahler.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…