Quantcast
David Gilmour auctioning 120 guitars, including his fabled Black Strat, for charity - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
David Gilmour auctioning 120 guitars, including his fabled Black Strat, for charity
Old 6th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
idolatry is no laughing matter
Just ask Moses...
Old 6th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for snowflakes

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Just ask Moses...
Wholly!!!
Old 6th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My thought is that strat serial number 1 is extremely collectible.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I suspect Joe Bonamassa to buy them all.
Old 7th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
Just ask Moses...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 ➡️
Wholly!!!
This entire thread is rife with iconoclasm. Banish all guitar gods to existences of van tours, Samicks, and 200 streams.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
This entire thread is rife with iconoclasm. Banish all guitar gods to existences of van tours, Samicks, and 200 streams.
Or the iconic Hondo guitar!
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
Haha! That was the first thing I typed; then for some reason, changed it to Samick.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Quote:
Haha! That was the first thing I typed; then for some reason, changed it to Samick.
I agree about the Hondo.....but what about the Hondo II? Is it twice as good?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
My thought is that strat serial number 1 is extremely collectible.
They'll all get collected, don't you worry.

If Gilmour is serious about wanting them to be played, he can hand them out of the back of a truck, just like Shaq does at Christmas.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
They'll all get collected, don't you worry.

If Gilmour is serious about wanting them to be played, he can hand them out of the back of a truck, just like Shaq does at Christmas.
Truth. You can't have it both ways. And I fear the only way these things would be used as tools is if he kept them, or sold them to wealthy famous players. If he handed them out, with provenance, to common folk, most would quickly find their way to an auction. Baby needs new shoes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
As a teenager in my garage band days, there was one guy who had a Hondo and kept saying it was just as good as a les paul or whatever and we never agreed. I feel sorry for hassling him now, as that's probably all he could afford, but something about the name permanently prevented that brand from getting cred. Maybe in Chinese it means 'brave warrior' or something, but didn't make the translation.
Old 7th February 2019
Lives for gear

while you laugh about Hondo... I've found this video.
Uh.. sounds better than the black strat
At 1:36 really rocks.
(LOL I'm thinking to buy one eh maybe; LOL)

Old 7th February 2019
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
All I can think of is the SWAT show and the guy named Hondo. How can you mess with anything named Hondo?...... I pull out my black Hondo, you get outta the way....! (unless you have a Johnson)....
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
There are clearly audible fret issues with that thing, and from both the sound and the motion of his left hand the action looks like it's uncomfortably high. The guy deserves props for being able to wrestle with it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are clearly audible fret issues with that thing, and from both the sound and the motion of his left hand the action looks like it's uncomfortably high. The guy deserves props for being able to wrestle with it.
No problems. Both things that a liuther can fix for a total of 100.
The guitar also is 100.
For 200 you are fine and you have a Vintage(!!!) HONDOOOOOOO (!!!!!!!).

However if you really like low action you will love a cool Ibanez RG with Wizard Prestige neck, just put vintage pickups inside if you don't like modern sound (es. put some Lindy Fralin) and you will be the happiest man in the world (if you can stand the floyd bridge )
Old 8th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi777 ➡️

Go for it. Sounds better than any strat...

The one back in the 70s had a body shape that no other guitar had. Cant recall the details...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Can you spell "handheld recorder compression"?
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
As a teenager in my garage band days, there was one guy who had a Hondo and kept saying it was just as good as a les paul or whatever and we never agreed.
Every Hondo I've ever played has been pretty brutal. Back in the 70's, they made a longhorn guitar that was pretty cool looking.

I have a Lotus 335 copy that's totally amazing. The plasticy finish looks awful, but it plays and sounds as good as most Gibson semi-hollows I've owned or played. And I've had a few Samicks that kick butt. I still have a Greg Bennett UM4 with Wilkinson whammy that's a total PRS killer.

I have to say that I think the Hondo H-76 Strat posted sounds pretty bad. It sounds exactly like a Jay Turser Strat I bought at an antique store with JT amp for 30 bucks. I set it up as good as I could, and keep it in the car as a backup in case I break a string. It's been behind my front seats for a year and a half. I've never had to call it into service. As soon as I heard this one, it was like... made in the same Asian factory from the same mold. It was -25F last week, and I didn't even bother to bring it into the house.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin ➡️
I agree about the Hondo.....but what about the Hondo II? Is it twice as good?
Yes it is. and 0 + 0 =...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sascha Franck ➡️
Can you spell "handheld recorder compression"?
Linking that video was a kind of joke.

However, the cheap recorder can only worsen the colour of recording but not change the tone at the source of the instrument before the amp.
In my opinion.

But since we are just joking and having some fun... I've found a better recording (It's very difficult to find a Hondo owner that doesn't record his guitar with a potato recorder, don't know why) , the lead a 1:00 has a more than decent tone (like all cheap guitars have in the right hands).
If Allan Holdsworth did an album with this guitar, I would however be quite happy to listen to it.

It's just to have fun however, I don't want to buy one like I said in the previous posts while joking.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Linking that video was a kind of joke.
Well, I kind of know.

Anyhow, it's quite amazing how lots of people are demonstrating their oh so great gear through what's got to be the cheapest recording equipment ever made.

As far as Hondo guitars go, they're not all that bad, at least some of them. Had two (or so) students with Hondo LPs and they seemed pretty appropriate choices.
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've found a better recording
Yes, that one sounds better. The higher frets on the lower strings have some roundness of tone. Overdrive certainly helps; sounds like a direct thing, no amp.
Like to hear how this one sounds clean. And clean through an mic'd amp, not whatever plug (11 Rack or something) that I suspect is being used.

Thing about the first clip is the way chords quickly fart out. Listen to the sound of the hard struck chord at 00:23. Within half a second, the body of the sound dies. And that's through the Bogner. Kind of a signature tone of bad microphonic pickup meets construction plywood.

I recall way back when I was teaching at a ma and pa music store, the place was pushing Hondo's on the students (i.e. parents) because the store's cost was almost nothing, and those who took the bait were fighting the guitars as much as learning the chords. It was such a relief to see a new student come in with something like a decent Squire. I did get one of those longhorns from the store. Wish I still had that one. It was cheezy, but cool.

I also have a Hondo II Les Paul around somewhere that's been an ongoing project for some time. I like the Super 70's Dimarzios, and I've replaced all of the hardware. But the but the plywood body is full of voids, and the neck feels very clunky. Saw it in an antique store for $15, and couldn't walk past. $30, and I might have walked. But now, I've probably got $150 in parts on the thing. In nice shape, they get about 400 bucks on eBay.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin ➡️
Honestly , I think its great that they will go to rich, privileged, powerful men, because they will pay stupid amounts of money for them, and benefit the charities involved.

I'm cynical towards the idea that "creators" will be assisted in any way by possessing overpriced vintage instruments or guitars once owned by famous people, unless they sell them to pay the rent.
Evidently you've never owned one. Not one owned by a famous person, just a really inspiring older guitar. There really is something special about guitars made before '65 or '66 by Gibson and Fender.

The overpricing of what should be player's instruments is.... disturbing.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 8th February 2019 at 11:14 PM..
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Lots of people have heard of it. But fewer and fewer remember it.

Now where did I leave my teeth?
Try the glass of water on the bathroom sink. That's where mine are are the moment.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 ➡️
Most likely will end up in the new Tangible Assets Art Fund hedge funds. There are several that cropped up in the last few years and they buy up instruments, works of arts etc and store them in vaults as an alternative investment.

There are about 4-5 funds right now offering such investments.
BOO!
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Truth. You can't have it both ways. And I fear the only way these things would be used as tools is if he kept them, or sold them to wealthy famous players. If he handed them out, with provenance, to common folk, most would quickly find their way to an auction. Baby needs new shoes.
He can hand one to me. I almost never sell anything.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Go for it. Sounds better than any strat...

The one back in the 70s had a body shape that no other guitar had. Cant recall the details...
You wouldn't be thinking of their copy of the Danelectro Longhorn, would you?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsapo2001 ➡️
Most likely will end up in the new Tangible Assets Art Fund hedge funds. There are several that cropped up in the last few years and they buy up instruments, works of arts etc and store them in vaults as an alternative investment.
If you're gonna buy a Tangible Asset just to lock it away in a vault, gold makes a lot more sense. And you don't see David Gilmour saying, "I really want these Krugerrands to be played."
Old 9th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
You wouldn't be thinking of their copy of the Danelectro Longhorn, would you?
Its a vague memory. I have the sense that the shape of the body was non-descript, and not distinctive like the longhorn. All I can say for sure about it is that the brand name Hondo kept it from getting any cred and that when I was a teenager in the 1970s, we wanted the guitars our heros played which were either made by gibson or fender. I can't say for sure if I am remembering what it looked like or simply filling in a memory that seems plausible.

Other brands may have made great guitars, but my friends and I were very brand conscious and not able or inclined to judge a guitar strictly on its merits.
Old 9th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you're gonna buy a Tangible Asset just to lock it away in a vault, gold makes a lot more sense. And you don't see David Gilmour saying, "I really want these Krugerrands to be played."
Thing about collectibles is its of course impossible to forecast its future value. For instance, if my dad bought 8 1959 les pauls in 1959 and put them in a vault, they would be sufficient to fund my retirement today. He probably spent a similar amount on my college fund, but appreciated as normal financial investments to a normal amount. I will note today the number of special edition guitars made today where they are sold as 'tomorrow's 58 les paul', and of course they are not.

I also have a sense, that no guitar store folks will confirm to me, that the 58 les paul may command less money than it did 10-20 years ago--I just hear vague comments from those who know. So, collectibility can wax and wane. I recall when beanie baby plush toys were insanely increasing in value--until they weren't...

I have the sense that certain works of art have appreciated a lot more than inflation and other investments--say the paintings of van gogh from being worthless at his 1890 death to hundreds of millions today. Same with other famous paintings. Far more than gold has appreciated.

Even though I only purchase 'player' guitars, my personal feeling is that strat serial number 1 is a collecter's item and not too be played in a cover band in a bar. I can give no rational or persuasive reason I hold this view, which fits with my view that collectiblity is not a rational thing, but rather a sentimental one, or whatever purely feelings oriented word one wants to give it.

Its pretty easy to find a good american strat for under a grand that in my opinion would play and sound as good as strat #1 . In previous discussions, I have expressed my own view that collectible guitars do not have way better sound or playing action, but are collectible for other reasons, such as hendrix burned it at monteray and so on.

And as someone pointed out, if someone gave me strat 001, I would sell it and guit working rather than strum on it. I would be in awe of it and love it, but I love my time and leisure as well. Just my view. My opinion in general is that collectible is extremely personal to the individual, and not based on rational factors--so in no way am I saying another's view on these matters should conform to mine.

And to take a step back, Gilmour is implying that he values the money more than the guitar which is why he is selling. I know the stated reason is to let other's enjoy it, but he could give it away or sell it for $1,000 if he simply wanted to feel the joy of knowing some guitarist was out in the world playing it in public.
📝 Reply