Old 29th January 2019
The Starbucks guy has beaten you to it.
Old 4th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler ➡️
I think that if someone is going to perform and hopefully entertain they pretty much have to be a showoff to some degree in some way or another. Some may have little more than their incredible technique to show, some may bring sex appeal, angst, what have you. It goes with the territory. Showoffs, SHOWOFFS, and total Hams but one way or the other, it's called show business for a reason.
To simplify things greatly, there are showoffs and there are communicators.

The showoffs have one thing to communicate, which is essentially "HEY, Loopk at MEEE!!!" Where's the communicators are more about "hey look at/ think about this."

It's a gross oversimplification, but that's the general idea.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff ➡️
lol yeah right, that's why people gig, I forgot.
Used to be 'cause they loved music and didn't want to hold down a **** day job.
Things must have changed.
(a few) People here seem old and bitter - perhaps they should have gigged more
Yeah but unless you're a real "A-list" guy, the days of playing in a band being any sort of viable substitute for a day job are pretty much done.
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff ➡️
Whatever. I think Jim Williams is actually talking about himself in those posts.
The guys I play with gig because they love music, nothing to do with fame or wanting attention.
For some there's a view that music is a competition.
Unless it's a solo performance it's about the band not the guitarist, so why would a guitarist need to be a virtuoso.
I don't think you quite realize who Jim is, especially in relation to the LA music scene.
Old 4th February 2019
I'm just a dude being a dude played by another dude.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein ➡️
I don't think you quite realize who Jim is, especially in relation to the LA music scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
I'm just a dude being a dude played by another dude.
Jim and John are two guys I don't always agree with, and have even, on occasion, clashed with, but they are also two guys who very clearly know precisely who they are and who appear to know their fields of particular concern exceptionally well. They're not always warm and fuzzy, one may not always agree with their approach or their broader conclusions, but I've found it's wise to listen to what they say with regard to facts in their fields of expertise -- and to weigh carefully even the things one doesn't necessarily agree with. Neither of these guys is coming from nowhere.
Old 4th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
By the way, I believe it was this thread that turned me onto contemporary jazz/plus guitarist, Julian Lage. I'm a little sad to be so late to the game, but a great find -- listening now.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The showoffs have one thing to communicate, which is essentially "HEY, Loopk at MEEE!!!" Where's the communicators are more about "hey look at/ think about this."

It's a gross oversimplification, but that's the general idea.
It works for me. It's an attitude. There's David Lee Roth and then there's Bob Dylan. There's Yngwie and then there's Fripp. And somewhere along the way Van Halen, De Martini, Morse, Satriani and many more....all some degree of both.

I think I was just trying to say that there are varying shades and I'll add that there are blends of the two as well. The completely shy and retiring will shrink away regardless. They may not seem that way in everyday life, but presented with a stage, lights and an audience...totally unable to perform. And there are some who are the opposite.
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:

The showoffs have one thing to communicate, which is essentially "HEY, Loopk at MEEE!!!"
Is this a good time to highlight your youtube vids?
Gear Guru

58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c2a9416 ➡️
I don't do youtube vids. Any video you might see of me on Youtube at this time is unauthorized and was put up without my knowledge.

If I do ever post anything on Youtube you'll know it because it will be in the notes.

There are a few Tuncore placed songs from 5 years ago or so with a band that I fired. But they're not actual videos.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c2a9416 ➡️
You're being rude and that's unnecessary..
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
There are a few Tuncore placed songs from 5 years ago or so with a band that I fired.
So it was the band that was holding you back Johnny Oklahoma.
Still, onwards and upwards, eh.
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFree ➡️
You're being rude and that's unnecessary..
Don't worry, he can give as good as he gets. Constantly rude to others.
Nice of you to step in tho.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Like more than a few folks around here, he can be a curmudgeon at times, but he's knowledgeable and is often helpful, even if the helpfulness sometimes comes with a dose of crusty cynicism.

But trolling and insulting him wouldn't seem to set a very high bar for comity or professionalism, either.
Old 5th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
... millennials are not children anymore).
Maybe a few of them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➡️
Like more than a few folks around here, he can be a curmudgeon at times, but he's knowledgeable and is often helpful, even if the helpfulness sometimes comes with a dose of crusty cynicism.

But trolling and insulting him wouldn't seem to set a very high bar for comity or professionalism, either.
Vintage amps yeah... A lot of other stuff though, not really.. .Especially modern topics, modern amplification, software, techniques, genres... .. The guy has very often been proven wrong, in stuff which is not really opinion based.

Anyways, gearslutz turns into a flamewar once a month almost consistently .... Its quite interesting.
Old 5th February 2019
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Man. Sorry I haven’t been following this thread. I’m only on page 3! But I thought I’d share a couple of my solos of some live performances. Jazz, right? The first is a McCoy Tyner Song called Fly With The Wind. Fly With The Wind Edit2 by Henry Robinett | Free Listening on SoundCloud My solo starts at about 4:00 in.

The other is with the jazz great vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson. “Who’s Got You?” Really fast. This one is about 5:14 in. Who's Got You? - Bobby Hutcherson with The Capital Jazz Project by Henry Robinett | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I like chord changes. I like trying to be melodic, even at high speed. It’s not Vai. You know, not shredding in that sense. Clean-ish. I’m pretty much picking every note. All improvised.

I know it’s probably not kosher to post your own playing, but I haven’t finished going through the thread! Lol.

I used to record a lot of our live gigs. I don’t do that any more. I played and recorded it. I should get a Noble prize for that. Too much work.
Deleted c2a9416
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett ➡️

I know it’s probably not kosher to post your own playing.
Glad you did - great stuff.
📝 Reply