The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best pedals for interesting 'dying battery' sounds
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Best pedals for interesting 'dying battery' sounds

So it's well known that some pedals sound good/interesting when the battery is dying.
There's even dying battery simulators on the market now.

I'd like to know which pedals you think offer the most interesting or different/weird sounds under this voltage starvation? Accompanying sound descriptions if possible please.

Thanks
Old 5th December 2017
heard about using carbon zinc, but never dying batteries. I'm going to save my old 9 volts and put them on ebay for 5 bucks each. Players will need 3 or 4 for one gig

If this is true, why not just use like an 8-volt adapter? Dead battery all night long.
Old 5th December 2017

🎧 5 years
Old 5th December 2017

🎧 5 years
Dwarfcraft Devices SheFuzz/Shiva.

Dwarfcraft Devices SheFuzz v2 | Chicago Music Exchange
Old 7th December 2017

🎧 5 years
An EQD Dirt Transmitter will probably give you what you are looking for:
">>> . . . The “Bias” control starves the transistors of necessary electrical current, resulting in a gated, or “dying battery” sound for space-age Velcro-like fuzz tones. . . . This causes a primitive, sputtering, grimy effect akin to vintage (by Earthling standards) analog synthesizers . . . <<<."
Dirt Transmitter — EarthQuaker Devices
Old 8th December 2017

🎧 5 years
the H9 fuzz has a sag function that does something similar
Old 16th January 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
My fuzzhugger algal bloom has a Starve knob that mimics a failing battery. You can dial it in to taste. Cool sounds in that box.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The smallsound/bigsound mini does great dying battery sounds with the bias knob.

smallsound/bigsound
Old 19th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro ➡️
heard about using carbon zinc, but never dying batteries. I'm going to save my old 9 volts and put them on ebay for 5 bucks each. Players will need 3 or 4 for one gig

If this is true, why not just use like an 8-volt adapter? Dead battery all night long.
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 has two outputs with adjustable voltage, as some pedals get cranky when battery power is low. My old Ibanez SC10 Super Stereo Chorus would get glitchy on low battery, but then it would stop. So it depends, but I think you're on to something with used batteries on eBay to guitar players....

I actually had to replace a 9V in a pedal the other day- for the tuner for our bass player, who didn't realize that unplugging the cable on the instrument side kept the battery from running down...
Old 20th January 2018
ZVEX Fuzz Factory, Whipple Baby Tooth can both get that sound. Also check out some of the fuzz pedals from Death by Audio.
Old 21st January 2018
Ibanez FZ7 at low gain with damage turned on. It's cheap.

Old 24th January 2018

🎧 10 years
The EHX Germanium OD can simulate a dying battery. It has pots for voltage and bias adjustments. It can produce some interesting sounds but I've personally never found much use for it. The voltage/bias pots is a very interesting idea but the basic sound of the pedal is just a little... boring. It doesn't get interesting before the sound is REALLY messed up. And that's not a sound you will need much.

Definitely try before you buy, or get a used one cheap. With careful adjustments it can sound a lot cooler than every youtube video I've seen of it (they all make it sound like a complete POS) but it still has a VERY limited range of usable sounds, unless you're looking for a sound that's extremely lo-fi, fizzy, blown out, no sustain whatsoever, etc.
📝 Reply