Quantcast
Pre Sales Kemper Questions for Studio Guys... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pre Sales Kemper Questions for Studio Guys...
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pre Sales Kemper Questions for Studio Guys...

Thinking hard about getting one of these.

I do studio work (no live) and am tired of dealing with plug ins.

I do a lot covers for people and often need the same basic sounds over and over:

1 A Vox/Matchless type crunch

2 A super clean Fender ....like a Twin Reverb or Super Reverb

3 Marshall

etc

I don't know if the Kemper already has good profiles of these when you buy it, but I'm sure they can be purchased.

What I'm wondering is, is there a quick "favorites" list that you can store you "top 5" amps or whatever in, for quick access?

Would this be a Performance? Trying to read/view the subject but seems kind of complex without having the unit in front of you.

Thanks much
Tom
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

It does have favorites and even better "snapshots" which allow you to save different setups for your favorite amp/rig for quick recall. But if you are only ever using the same three or four profiles you can always just remove everything but those rigs, no need to keep crap you don't want or need hanging around, it's easy to reload the default rigs from the system menu anyway.

The Rig Manager app will still allow you to audition and try out rigs from the rig exchange or that you've stored locally on your computer if you need to find something else. Performances are more for live work or setting up a specific song, so more about "this is the tone for the intro", followed by "this is the tone for the verse" followed by "this is the tone for the chorus" and so on, each performance represents one song, or maybe one sets tones for quic accesss and control via MIDI e.g. pedalboard.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes you'll need to purchase profiles.

For recording I'd choose Browser mode. I only have 8 rigs directly on my Kemper (the Kemper itself will save 1,000). I currently have 91 favorite Rigs I use which I save with Rig Manager in my Local Library on my PC for instant recall. Connected to the internet you can use Rig Manager and load any of over 9,000 rigs and play them instantly.

If I was gigging the Kemper I'd use Performance mode to utilize the five separate slots per song for switching live, but I use the Kemper for recording and so all I need is Browser.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks!

Do you or anyone else reading this have suggestions for the best

Blackface amps like Twin Reverbs, Super Reverbs, and Deluxes?

Or do the ones that come with the Kemper work well?

Also if they are modeling a reverb amp like a Super Reverb, is the spring reverb itself modeled as well?

Thanks
Tom
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
unfortunately you cant profile reverb.

It was a big dissapointment for me when I got my kemper i couldnt profile my fender amps with teh trem and reverb.

you'll have to use a pedal.

I think they're working on new reverbs so maybe a spring will make it's way into the FX rack

check out m Britt and The Amp Factory for fender amps

MC
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
Thanks!

Also if they are modeling a reverb amp like a Super Reverb, is the spring reverb itself modeled as well?

Thanks
Tom
TAF has some excellent Fender and Vox amps. I do recall finding and using a really nice Twin a few years ago on the exchange, I'll look around for that for you.

Also, dialing back the Gain in some very high gain profiles to totally off (dialing the Gain knob all the way off on the front of the Kemper) can surprisingly reveal a very clean gem hidden underneath that distorted profile.
Old 6th January 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Don't forget Top Jimi profiles. He has a really great blackface profile set, not to mention some great Marshall profile sets.
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is a constant ongoing struggle with Kemper for me, that the profiles from the develpers, that might sound great on their demos, will never perform that way with your guitar - t.i. profiles are very guitar specific. For example the majority of Michael Britt's profiles, that work great with his bright Tom Anderson, sound like **** with my guitars (Strats and Les Pauls). Usually too dark and muddy. While the majority of TAF profiles sound overprocessed.

I actually reverted to using plugins and only use my Kemper for live use. Kemper is not really able to replicate pushed sound in a way Revalver 4 does for example. I eventually grew tired searching through a thousand profiles to find one usable. I prefer thing I can tweak to obtain a sound from scratch. Kemper's profiles despite their editing possibilities, usually start to sound worse after editing them for more than 15% from their starting position.

I truely believe Kemper only makes sense if you profile your own rigs. If that is not the case I would avoid it and rather get Axe-FX or use plugins, which sound just as great or even better (UAD Marshall emulations, Revalver 4).
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➑️
There is a constant ongoing struggle with Kemper for me, that the profiles from the develpers, that might sound great on their demos, will never perform that way with your guitar - t.i. profiles are very guitar specific. For example the majority of Michael Britt's profiles, that work great with his bright Tom Anderson, sound like **** with my guitars (Strats and Les Pauls). Usually too dark and muddy. While the majority of TAF profiles sound overprocessed.

I actually reverted to using plugins and only use my Kemper for live use. Kemper is not really able to replicate pushed sound in a way Revalver 4 does for example. I eventually grew tired searching through a thousand profiles to find one usable. I prefer thing I can tweak to obtain a sound from scratch. Kemper's profiles despite their editing possibilities, usually start to sound worse after editing them for more than 15% from their starting position.

I truely believe Kemper only makes sense if you profile your own rigs. If that is not the case I would avoid it and rather get Axe-FX or use plugins, which sound just as great or even better (UAD Marshall emulations, Revalver 4).
My experience with TAF and MB profiles is the exact opposite of yours. I dial in basic Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence to my specific guitar and the profiles from TAF and MB are great.

Jantex, I think I understand what you've experienced. I've exchanged profiles with other Kemper owners and their profiles with my guitars have often times been really unusable. But then I dial in those profiles to my guitars and sometimes those profiles do become decent and sometimes the profiles remain unusable. The guitars you play make a difference and how you monitor the Kemper makes a difference. I fine tune my Kemper profiles with near fields.

We've gone over this here before; a particular guitar with particular pickups will influence the amp settings prior to dialing the amp in for a profile. Profiling an amp with Kemper is shooting at a moving target. Dialing in playing a Kemper profile is shooting at a moving target.

If the person making the profile is highly competent and has made the profile with a very similar guitar to the guitar you are using to play the profile, the odds are in your favor of ascertaining success with the profile using that same similar guitar.
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone ➑️
My experience with TAF and MB profiles is the exact opposite of yours. I dial in basic Bass, Middle, Treble and Presence to my specific guitar and the profiles from TAF and MB are great.

Jantex, I think I understand what you've experienced. I've exchanged profiles with other Kemper owners and their profiles with my guitars have often times been really unusable. But then I dial in those profiles to my guitars and sometimes those profiles do become decent and sometimes the profiles remain unusable. The guitars you play make a difference and how you monitor the Kemper makes a difference. I fine tune my Kemper profiles with near fields.

We've gone over this here before; a particular guitar with particular pickups will influence the amp settings prior to dialing the amp in for a profile. Profiling an amp with Kemper is shooting at a moving target. Dialing in playing a Kemper profile is shooting at a moving target.

If the person making the profile is highly competent and has made the profile with a very similar guitar to the guitar you are using to play the profile, the odds are in your favor of ascertaining success with the profile using that same similar guitar.
I am happy to hear they work for you. As I said, they are not bad at all, but work only with a certain type of guitars. Even though I try some profile with my Les Paul 59' Reissue, it might not sound good, because profiler's Les Paul sounded differently.

For me Kemper is one huge "profile hunting" experience, if I don't profile my own rigs and would never suggest it to someone looking for an easily achievable great tone in case he doesn't have good rig to profile it himself.

Kemper is a great thing if you want to digitalize YOUR OWN amp collection for YOUR OWN guitars. Getting a good sound from the ground up is much easier with Axe FX or aforementioned plugins IMHO.
Old 7th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks ➑️
Thanks!

Thanks
Tom
Check out " Jimi profiles" on youtube or something to that effect.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex ➑️

This post was surprising to me because my experience is basically the opposite of yours.

To my ears, the way I play and record, the MBritt profiles I use sound great with different guitars, the TAF profiles do not sound overly processed. The Kemper is great for me even though I use commercial profiles much more than the profiles I created of my own gear.

EDIT: I originally quoted the wrong post. Doh!

Last edited by buddachile; 7th January 2017 at 09:29 PM..
Old 7th January 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hello oceantracks,
I do similar work like you do.
True its just 3 basic sounds...with little variations
What brought me back to some simple tube setup.

I tried many of those "all sounds in one box" emulations.
different Digitech, AXE/FX and also the Kemper.
They are all good, but somehow they they didnt give me the "tube feel"...specially when playing dynamic clean to crunch sounds.
I found them somewhat steril.

Im back to a simple setup: Effectrode FireBottle > OKKO Cocaine > H&K Tubeman > CabRock (analog speaker sim)
Sometimes Im using Effectrode Blackbird instead of the Tubeman. Sometimes a "Bleeding Cowboys" Speaker Sim.
But overall its pretty simple and works surprisingly well for me. Gives me nice basic analog (tube) sounds.
They respond very welll to further tweaking in the DAW (if desired).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddachile ➑️
This post was surprising to me because my experience is basically the opposite of yours.

To my ears, the way I play and record, the MBritt profiles I use sound great with different guitars, the TAF profiles do not sound overly processed. The Kemper is great for me even though I use commercial profiles much more than the profiles I created of my own gear.
This post is equally surprising to me. I assume you quoted the wrong post or misunderstood what I've previously written. I also use commercial profiles more than the profiles I created.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone ➑️
This post is equally surprising to me. I assume you quoted the wrong post or misunderstood what I've previously written. I also use commercial profiles more than the profiles I created.
Doh, it appears I made a boo boo. I did in fact quote the wrong post. I meant to quote Jantex.

I fixed it now.
πŸ“ Reply