Quantcast
Hollowbody for Hard Rock - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hollowbody for Hard Rock
Old 26th December 2016
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Hollowbody for Hard Rock

Hi all,

I've been thinking about getting a new guitar for some time now and am interested in the world of semi-hollow and hollowbodied guitars. At the moment my electric gear is all solid bodies.

I love the tones that they can get (for me I enjoy the tones of Josh Homme, Troy Van Leeuwen, Dave Grohl the most).

I know Josh plays some of those Maton hollows and has a signature with them, but I don't have that kind of cash to spare. Probably around max. 1000 AUD (around 720 USD).

Are there any cheaper alternatives that anyone would recommend to get some relatively close Songs For The Deaf tones or any given Foo Fighters song? Or should I wait til I have more cash to spare?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers
Old 26th December 2016
  #2
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Get what you can afford that plays well and -- of course -- looks sexy... And as always when experimenting with a new type of instrument: buy used!!

Ibanez makes some cool looking retro stuff... Also if you're in Australia, yah? Don't you have pretty good access to the Asian markets where you are?
Old 26th December 2016 | Show parent
  #3
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➑️
Get what you can afford that plays well and -- of course -- looks sexy... And as always when experimenting with a new type of instrument: buy used!!

Ibanez makes some cool looking retro stuff... Also if you're in Australia, yah? Don't you have pretty good access to the Asian markets where you are?
Yep I'm from the land of Oz. Our access to asian markets is okay, mostly Japanese guitars and some Korean stuff. I'll check out what Ibanez has though!
Old 26th December 2016
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I just came back from holidays in Melbourne and while I was there I checked out a few music stores. GO and take a look at what's available at a store called Fretted Instruments at 130 Elgin St Carlton. LOTS of 2nd hand guitars. I don't recall exactly but there must have been a few semi-hollowbodies.

Anthony
Old 26th December 2016 | Show parent
  #5
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG ➑️
I just came back from holidays in Melbourne and while I was there I checked out a few music stores. GO and take a look at what's available at a store called Fretted Instruments at 130 Elgin St Carlton. LOTS of 2nd hand guitars. I don't recall exactly but there must have been a few semi-hollowbodies.

Anthony

Awesome will check that out asap! Always nice to find little shops like that. Cheers
Old 27th December 2016
  #6
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Besides Ibanez there are also some reasonably decent Yamaha Semi-Hollow Body guitars starting at about $500 USD and a few higher priced beauties decent for hard rock like this

Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #7
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 ➑️
Besides Ibanez there are also some reasonably decent Yamaha Semi-Hollow Body guitars starting at about $500 USD and a few higher priced beauties decent for hard rock like this

Yamaha makes stellar gear!!
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #8
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 ➑️
Besides Ibanez there are also some reasonably decent Yamaha Semi-Hollow Body guitars starting at about $500 USD and a few higher priced beauties decent for hard rock like this
Damn that is one beautiful looking piece of gear. Thanks for the info. Wouldnt have even considered that one honestly.
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicJaguar ➑️
Damn that is one beautiful looking piece of gear. Thanks for the info. Wouldnt have even considered that one honestly.
Plays spectacularly, though in a traditional manner (dead level fingerboard/neck/intonation but at the cost of higher fret access like a Les Paul), and looks awesome in white under stage lights. I even like the pickups or rather the overall tone contributed by all parts.
Old 28th December 2016
  #10
Registered User
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yamaha stuff is great. But living in Oz, isn't it your duty to buy a Maton? I love the look and sound of those Maton electrics ... I'm a solid body believer myself though.

If you want something cheap but good, Epiphone make some excellent semis. A Casio is a great choice. If you aren't sure if a Casino can rock hard, check out The Beatles "Helter Skelter" - I think it's one of the heaviest songs ever recorded ... makes most of the drop tuned saturated chuggers seem tame in my opinion ...
Old 28th December 2016
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Pindrive's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I built archtops & semihollows for a number of years. My market was hard rock. If you are wanting something that is really versatile, i would go semi hollow. If you really want something that screams hollow body tone I'd go with a big box guitar. Tones are all over the board with archtops. A Gibson ES175 is my favorite for versatility & big sound. For a Semihollow, I'D look at Guild. Amazing sounding humbuckers, guild makes. Don't waste your money on lower priced guitars. You'll end up spending the money in the long run, trying to improve the sound. & then selling it because it will never be the guitar it emulates. To be quite honest, even the top shelf archtops are a compromise in tone. It's why I began building years ago.

Here's a vid including one of my guitars in a top shelf recording....with video
https://youtu.be/6poeI1sRsaI
Old 30th December 2016
  #12
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Well, the classic for a semi-hollow guitar for hard rock is the Gibson ES-335 (Think Alvin Lee with 10 Years After.) However that's a wee bit out of your price range so I'd take a good look at the Epiphone equivalent. Replace the pickups with Lindy Fralins and you're there.

Yes, the Epiphone has a plywood top. So does the Gibson and pretty much any other semi hollow (and many full hollow) body electrics you're likely to find.
Old 31st December 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Pindrive's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Some of those 60's 70's epiphone had really thin tops. Made for a nice electric tone, if you can find one. I worked on one a while back. The top was warped pretty bad. & it had some hack repairs done to it. I got it playing nice again, despite it's shortcomings. Made a pretty nice secret weapon
Old 1st January 2017
  #14
Gear Guru
I stopped using my 1967 Gibson Trini Lopez for rock because it felt like the SPL's were tearing it apart. I love feedback but not loose glue joints.

Telecasters can take it all day long.
Old 1st January 2017 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pindrive ➑️
Some of those 60's 70's epiphone had really thin tops. Made for a nice electric tone, if you can find one. I worked on one a while back. The top was warped pretty bad. & it had some hack repairs done to it. I got it playing nice again, despite it's shortcomings. Made a pretty nice secret weapon
'60s Epiphones WERE Gibsons. Starting in the early '70s Epiphones were mader in Japan by Matsumoku. In the '80s some manufacturing was moved to Korea. Since the '70s a very few special run instruments were made in USA.
Old 1st January 2017 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
58 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I stopped using my 1967 Gibson Trini Lopez for rock because it felt like the SPL's were tearing it apart. I love feedback but not loose glue joints.

Telecasters can take it all day long.
Was that the original Trini with the full body and the Firebird style neck with banjo tuners or the later, thinner body?
Old 2nd January 2017
  #17
Gear Guru
It's the cool one, 335 style with diamond inlays and a Fender like headstock. It has the diamond shaped and bound "F" holes. It's in mint, brand new condition and it's super. I saw a re-issue at Namm, a POS with crappy finish and no binding. They wanted $2500 for it.
Old 2nd January 2017
  #18
Lives for gear
 
AstroZon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
If you're planning to jam on stage, I'd recomend a semi hollow patterned after the Gibson ES-335. 335s have beautiful tone but less feedback problems than a full hollow body. Yamaha, Epiphone, and Ibanez all make 335 clones. Check eBay AU, Gumtree, and your local music and pawn shops. Something will turn up.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump