The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LinnStrument....gimmick or game changer?
Old 27th September 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo ➡️
I don't think I'd enjoy a non-tactile experience of a touch screen personally
I have found touch screens to be quite tactile in ways that normal synths are not. I loved the kaosallator pro as i could poke it and swipe it and caress it. A much more kinetic experience than you might think.
Old 28th September 2016 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents ➡️
I have found touch screens to be quite tactile in ways that normal synths are not. I loved the kaosallator pro as i could poke it and swipe it and caress it. A much more kinetic experience than you might think.
Honestly, for things like the Kaosilator or Lemur, you have a good point, but when it comes to being able to play notes on demand, in a melody, my opinion shifts heavily.

i'm hoping to put together enough bread for one of these in 2017.
Old 28th September 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo ➡️
I've thought a lot about this since getting hip to what ROLI is doing with their Rise controller. I think this is the elegant solution for string players where the Roli stuff is the elegant solution for keyboard players.

I think for me, as a guitarist primarily, the linnstrument is going to translate my skills better, and my question as to what the surface feels like was quickly addressed (thank you again).

I don't think 1499 is that bad of a price. It's comparable to an american-made guitar or a mid-level horn or low grade pedal steel.

I'd like to see Stanley Jordan do something with it. I wonder how we can get one into his hands?
Hi donsolo--
In my view, LinnStrument's "4ths String Layout" has significant advantages over the piano note layout for expressive performance control, as I write about in this essay:

Piano vs. grid

So I'd say that the 4ths String Layout is the ideal interface for expressive musical control, but the piano note layout provides familiarity for keyboard players at the expense of expressive control.

And yes, I should contact Stanley Jordan. I need to do more outreach to artists. It's just a matter of finding the time.
Old 29th September 2016 | Show parent
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Linn ➡️
Hi donsolo--
In my view, LinnStrument's "4ths String Layout" has significant advantages over the piano note layout for expressive performance control, as I write about in this essay
Is it also possible reconfigure the layout to exactly match that of a guitar in standard tuning -- E-A-D-G-B-E?

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL ➡️
Is it also possible reconfigure the layout to exactly match that of a guitar in standard tuning -- E-A-D-G-B-E?
Yes. Simply set the Row Offset parameter to "Guitar".
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Great, thanks Roger. Ordering one tomorrow.
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NEW OS RELEASE:

I just downloaded the latest firmware, which has a step sequencer. There are additional labels for the panel that can be printed on adhesive paper and stuck on the instrument (there will be an option for factory stickers or a panel upgrade in the future as well).

So far I'm liking it, although it's a little complicated. You can program sequences on the grid. As far as I can tell, you can span 2 octaves across 32 steps. There are 2 up/down pages, each with 7 notes (diatonic, set by key signature lights), and two left/right pages for 1-16 and 17-32 steps.

There is some pretty deep control over bending, velocity, and Y-axis CC data per step. You can also do polyphonic sequences, and there is a storage matrix to save and switch sequences on the fly.

There is also a very easy to use software updater app that saves all existing parameters and loads the new OS. I believe it will also backup any saved sequences.

Definitely a cool and unexpected feature. Right now, I'm just putzing around with Logic instruments, but am looking forward to hooking it up to my Mini Moog.
Old 8th November 2016 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➡️
NEW OS RELEASE:

I just downloaded the latest firmware, which has a step sequencer. There are additional labels for the panel that can be printed on adhesive paper and stuck on the instrument (there will be an option for factory stickers or a panel upgrade in the future as well).

So far I'm liking it, although it's a little complicated. You can program sequences on the grid. As far as I can tell, you can span 2 octaves across 32 steps. There are 2 up/down pages, each with 7 notes (diatonic, set by key signature lights), and two left/right pages for 1-16 and 17-32 steps.

There is some pretty deep control over bending, velocity, and Y-axis CC data per step. You can also do polyphonic sequences, and there is a storage matrix to save and switch sequences on the fly.

There is also a very easy to use software updater app that saves all existing parameters and loads the new OS. I believe it will also backup any saved sequences.

Definitely a cool and unexpected feature. Right now, I'm just putzing around with Logic instruments, but am looking forward to hooking it up to my Mini Moog.
Glad you're enjoying it, Joe. Readers may find it easier to understanding it by watching the Sequencer demo video on the Sequencer manual page:

LS Sequencer

- Roger Linn
Old 8th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger_Linn ➡️
Glad you're enjoying it, Joe. Readers may find it easier to understanding it by watching the Sequencer demo video on the Sequencer manual page:

LS Sequencer

- Roger Linn
Thanks Roger for introducing a cheaper model, definitely have to consider it in the future.
Old 4th March 2018 | Show parent
Deleted 7e91f65
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthfanatic ➡️
I would say "game changer" is not an exaggeration for Linnstrument. I have been following synthesis closely for decades. Ever since the dawn of electronic music, there has been a dream of truly expressive, workable, natural, elegant controllers. This along with others such as Continuum and Seaboard, is definitely the next step.

I have been testing the Linnstrument with simple but fine-tuned analog patches.. 1 VCO, 1 VCF, 2 ADSR..fantastic. Also with synths that respond to poly aftertouch such as Prophet 6 and Arturia Origin.. the most responsive and natural poly AT I've ever experienced.

I am very close to purchasing one or maybe two for use with my analog synths. My only concern is with velocity sensitivity on the Linnstument. On many synths I have tried they dont get it quite right making it difficult to find those delicate sounds and to easy to top out on volume. What is your experience with the Linstrument thus far in this regard? and are there different velocity sensitivity settings?

Also for Roger or anyone else-- can the board be split and used to play two different synths? I was thinking one half could play my MiniMoog reissue and using the Midi through feature on the Model D the signal could also pass through and play my Sub 37 too.
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The Linnstrument is a fantastic instrument, but I never got to the point where I could perform with quite the degree of expressive control I was hoping for, but I'm sure that's due to my lack of technique with it and my reluctance to adapt to the fingering/scale setup, which takes some getting used to. I've seen many videos with people who have mastered it and it's a very impressive invention, to say the least. You really have to spend some time to get the most out of anything, and the Linnstrument is no exception. I recently got a full-size Haken Continuum, and I instantly gelled with it. The expressive control and sensitivity feels like you're playing an acoustic instrument, and even more so when you use the internal sounds that are generated by the Eagan Matrix (an incredibly advanced internal sound generator that uses many different kinds of synthesis). Both the Linnstrument and the Continuum are next-gen tools and I'd say try them both. I never got along too well with the Seaboard by comparison, although again, it's just not quite suited to me. The Continuum is the most exciting thing I've gotten in a long long time and worth every penny I spent on it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7e91f65 ➡️
...Also for Roger or anyone else-- can the board be split and used to play two different synths? I was thinking one half could play my MiniMoog reissue and using the Midi through feature on the Model D the signal could also pass through and play my Sub 37 too.
The Linnstrument can be split allowing the control of two different synths. I think you might be able to do more then that depending on your requirements by using channel-per-row setting and splitting the Linnstrument. You could theorectically set up each synth to a different midi channel and then each row in each split would send on its own channel. Of course you would be limited in how large a scale you you could play. I've not tried it yet but think it would be possible.

Regular split though works great.
Deleted 7e91f65
[QUOTE=Delta T;13177470]The Linnstrument can be split allowing the control of two different synths. I think you might be able to do more then that depending on your requirements by using channel-per-row setting and splitting the Linnstrument. You could theorectically set up each synth to a different midi channel and then each row in each split would send on its own channel. Of course you would be limited in how large a scale you you could play. I've not tried it yet but think it would be possible.

That is great to know and seals the deal as far as getting the bigger keyboard. I would be able to use three splits pretty well I think. One octave only for my mother 32's (only used for drones) 3 octaves for my Model D (used for bass playing) and whatever is left for the sub 37. Sounds great!!!

I would be getting this thing like most people primarily for the increase in expresivity. Along those lines how good is the velocity sensitivity on it? I have a sub 37 and a model d reissue and the sub 37 is just not that good to me and is a downer as far as play-ability. The model D has really good variables in velocity and it is easy to dial in a setting that allows for a good range between subtle playing and not subtle.
Old 5th March 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7e91f65 ➡️
That is great to know and seals the deal as far as getting the bigger keyboard. I would be able to use three splits pretty well I think. One octave only for my mother 32's (only used for drones) 3 octaves for my Model D (used for bass playing) and whatever is left for the sub 37. Sounds great!!!

I would be getting this thing like most people primarily for the increase in expresivity. Along those lines how good is the velocity sensitivity on it? I have a sub 37 and a model d reissue and the sub 37 is just not that good to me and is a downer as far as play-ability. The model D has really good variables in velocity and it is easy to dial in a setting that allows for a good range between subtle playing and not subtle.
The Linnstrument only 'splits' into two sections - left and right. Each section can be assigned to a single midi channel or multiple channels for MPE. There is the channel-per-row setting which could allow a guitar type 'string' assignment (say six mono-synths, one per string) which I believe you can set-up for each split. I haven't been able to verify it yet (limited time with my gear these days :-(. ) Roger would be best to confirm it with. I'll try and get to the studio to confirm it or you may want to go to his website and check out the manual...

As for touch sensitivity/velocity response thats a tough one because the Linnstrument requires getting used to. Practice is the key here. There are velocity settings that can be made. I'm pretty heavy handed and I manage to do what I need with it. There is a pretty comprehensive discussion at KVR in Rogers support section that discuss this.
Old 5th March 2018 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Hi franklinstower,

Regarding splits: splitting a 4-octave LinnStrument 128 doesn't result in 1 octave for one split and 3 octaves for the other. Rather, an even split of 8 columns each would result in 3.5 octaves for each split. The reason is due to the overlapping pitches of the rows, similar to dividing one octave of a guitar neck into two regions each with 6 frets and 2.5 octaves of range.

Regarding touch sensitivity: LinnStrument requires around 70 grams to register a touch, which is very light but not so light that notes accidentally trigger when resting your fingers on the note pads. Here's a video that might help:

YouTube

Also, there are independent Low/Medium/High touch sensitivity settings for Velocity and Pressure, as well as a Touch Sensor Prescale setting that you can use to generally increase or decrease sensitivity, though regardless of these settings notes will trigger by the lightest possible touch of around 70 grams.

Finally, I happened to find your post in a search but if you want to get a response from me or other LinnStrumentalists, it's better to use the KVR LinnStrument forum, accessed from the LinnStrument Support page / Forum button on my site.
📝 Reply