View Single Post
Old 25th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainditch ➡️
Hi Folks.
I was involved as a tech at the Symetrix factory from 1987-1994. Here are some facts I know about the 501 evolution:

1. monkeyxx's blackface 501 is the earliest model I know of - with an anodized or painted aluminum front panel, and a very different company logo; about the same vintage as the CL-100.
Rick Chinn - care to chime in?

2. Next came a version that still had toggle switches for power on, but had an aluminum front panel with a lexan graphic overlay glued to it. The print looked nice and sharp, but the lexan is fragile - be careful not to wrinkle or tear the lexan if you change pots! The company logo changed to a common font style, and to my knowledge, this was the primary era for the green-colored, square-shaped Valley People TA-101 VCA's.

3. Next came the grey-painted steel front panel, with white lettering sillk-screened on top of the grey undercoat. These actually had two different VCA's during their respective sub-era.
--A) The blue, rectangular Valley People EGC-101;
--B) A transition period that may have had a DBX 2150A mounted on a "daughter board" PCB that plugged into (was soldered onto) the motherboard;
--C) The (closer to final) revision that had the DBX 2150A directly mounted on the motherboard.

Of interest about sub-era 3 (B): many other units in the 500 Series product line went through this transition phase, I remember having to hand-solder a few daughterboard DBX 2150A's into model# 528's, possibly into 525's as well (basically anything that had a EGC-101 VCA in it).

It's possible that Dane Butcher, James Husted, or Gordon Doucette might remember some of these early changes better than I.

Bill
And THIS is the kind of stuff that makes me LOVE Gearslutz!!!