View Single Post
Old 12th July 2006

Here is a trick I do because I can't justify spending stupid money on a delay unit that will likely break down sooner than later.

Here are the ingredients:

Distressor
Eventide Eclipse
Neve Portico preamp

When mixing I run the signal I want to delay first into the Portico and hit it really hard which adds some nice thick harmonics and it adds a bit of grain to the tone then I hit the distressor set to 1:1 with the Dist 3 (tape distortion) engaged and make it compress about 2dB on peaks. Then I feed this into my delay. If the delay is set for something like 400ms and I want repeats, I use a send on my board to make the delay feed back into itself instead of the Eventide's on board feedback control. I use the equalizer on the board to roll off some of the high end. By using the aux send on the board, on the channel that the delay is coming in on, it makes the delay repeats go through the eq and the line input of the console each time it comes around making each repeat darker and grainier than the last which makes it sound more like a tape echo.

The feedback control in the eventide does not have an eq and analog opamp circuitry and Neve transformer distortion, Distressor Tube distortion color and compression in the feedback path to darken and distort the repeats progresively. You can try this same idea putting any chain of stuff you have that will degrade the delay's quality progressively in your feedback path using an aux send. You'll need a real mixer though.

This won't sound like a PCM 42 but it sounds very cool and more original. It works not having a certain peice of gear which forces creativity with what you do have to achieve certain kinds of tones.

The Eventide Eclipse is a currently made cost effective high quality versatile effects processor that is supported and will continue to be supported for at least 10 years. I think that is just as important as sounding good.