View Single Post
Old 29th December 2011

Lives for gear

There is a procedural way to do it. An RTA helps during this process too though. A program like Room EQ Wizard helps tremendously as it allows you to see frequency response, decay times, waterfalls, impulse response, etc. while also proving the RTA function. Can't beat it for free...

Push speakers into the corners. This maximally excites the room modes and gain.

Slide the mic back and forth til you find the spot with the smoothest response, fewest nulls, pushes problems as high in frequency as possible, etc.

Once you have that spot, mark it and put the mic there. Then pull the speakers out to a starting point of an equilateral triangle and measure again as a baseline.

From there, move the speakers forward/backward OR farther apart, closer together. This let's you asses the impact of boundary interactions (SBIR). Keep moving until you find the best spot and leaves items that are known quantities and are treatable.

Notice I said OR. It is important to always change only one thing at a time or you will not know which change made what differences.

Another option is a program called CARA. It requires that you model your room and all of it's surfaces. You then define the areas that are acceptable for you to place your seating and speakers and let it rip. It will chug for a while and come up with the best place for everything. This can take quite a bit of time to compute depending on the complexity of the room, how much information you want, the speed of your computer, etc.

I've just purchased this program and as time permits am starting to do my own known room as a baseline.

Bryan