View Single Post
Old 28th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
So therefore you can't repeat your Wikileaks, freedom of speech scare story.
Effectively, any whistleblowing site could place themselves in a European country as Wikileaks has.

C'mon. I honestly wonder why this is becoming the default comeback from the anti-SPOA side.
The two laws have zero to do with each other. Creative people looking to protect themselves from current and blatant pillaging are not necessarily the kind of people to support anti-terrorism laws.... the two issues are just worlds apart.
It seems if you support action on copyright infringement, the anti SOPA posters here try to find something more onerous to throw at you, like imagined support for the Patriot Act.
as far as speaking against the Patriot Act, warrantless wiretaps and tracking with sealed court orders has become very fashionable here in the US, I guess the official secrets act openned that door in the UK sometime ago- I guess we can all be like lobsters before the boil- some here in the US know where the boil tends to lead to though.

lets just go to the very last clause of the SOPA to see what it says.....

`(3) MILITARY GOODS OR SERVICES-
`(A) IN GENERAL- A person who commits an offense under paragraph (1) shall be punished in accordance with subparagraph (B) if--
`(i) the offense involved a good or service described in paragraph (1) that if it malfunctioned, failed, or was compromised, could reasonably be foreseen to cause--
`(I) serious bodily injury or death;
`(II) disclosure of classified information;
`(III) impairment of combat operations; or
`(IV) other significant harm--
`(aa) to a member--

`(AA) of the Armed Forces; or

`(BB) of a Federal, State, or local law enforcement agency; or

`(bb) to national security or critical infrastructure; and

`(ii) the person had knowledge that the good or service is falsely identified as meeting military standards or is intended for use in a military or national security application, or a law enforcement or critical infrastructure application.
`(B) PENALTIES-
`(i) INDIVIDUAL- An individual who commits an offense described in subparagraph (A) shall be fined not more than $5,000,000, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both.
`(ii) PERSON OTHER THAN AN INDIVIDUAL- A person other than an individual that commits an offense described in subparagraph (A) shall be fined not more than $15,000,000.
`(C) SUBSEQUENT OFFENSES-
`(i) INDIVIDUAL- An individual who commits an offense described in subparagraph (A) after the individual is convicted of an offense under subparagraph (A) shall be fined not more than $15,000,000, imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.
`(ii) PERSON OTHER THAN AN INDIVIDUAL- A person other than an individual that commits an offense described in subparagraph (A) after the person is convicted of an offense under subparagraph (A) shall be fined not more than $30,000,000.'.

where is that Tyler Perry film mentioned? or the Dr Dre Beatz?