View Single Post
Old 4th October 2011 | Show parent
I have a foot in both camps. I have 'real' guitars and amps in the studio, but for live gigs I use Line6 stuff. Just got a new James Tyler Variax - the 59 model - and i'm looking forward to buying the HD Pod Rack (using the HD Pod bean now). I use the Line6 wireless stuff too ... bit of a Line6 slut really.

The technology is better than it used to be ... and it has miles to go: that is very obvious.

Totally agree that wireless changes the paradigm - and the makers have to understand this. They don't seem to get it at the moment. It annoys me that Line6 (for example) don't have a digital out on their wireless Relay. And the Variax can't be used digitally via wireless. And it would be really great to have the Pod built INTO the Variax. At least as an option ...

It's weird that we have to hang onto the past legacy ... I think it's slowing down innovation. But the future for guitar certainly looks digital: it's useable now, and it can only get better.

I totally understand the appeal of the "real" things ... and some purists will go to their graves swearing by this.

Hopefully, we'll have real tubes and exotic wood guitars with rare-earth magnets for as long as we can ... but I guess they are going to go the way of analog tape ...

What we need is a new design/aesthetic so we can move on from Leo Fender etc. I think Steinberger was onto a great thing in the 1980's ...

I would love a graphite guitar with the next generation of digital modeling onboard and ready to roll .... with wireless pedal boards that can interface with the onboard dsp ...

Immunity to hum would be essential. (OK - have a some hum samples onboard for the diehards ...)

We can only dream ...