Quantcast
Gearspace.com - View Single Post - heard a vintage u47 for the first time. now i'm depressed
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman ➡️
The fet tube and modern psu don´t change anything in the vintage 47s noisefloor.
They basically are more reliable components than the vintage ones but dont change sound-
otherwise there would not be so many guys using Andreas components.

Maybe there are noisier vintage mics out there than 47s but
compared to the Voxorama they have DRASTICALLY more noise.
A vintage 47 ( regardless if with or without tube, fet, modern or vintage psu....) has so much noise that I would not choose it for some critical applications like f.e. voice recording for audio books.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread I really think that vintage 47s are a can of worms for many reasons.
If Andreas would not have released a modern, reliable & enhanced version I would NEVER EVER have bought one.
It´s just a fine, modern mic that sounds great and has very little noise -
no history blabla, no black neumann/ telefunken badge, no legendary Franky smell.

Your bitchy responses show once again that most things vintage
can soon turn into crazy collectors items if you are not careful, mein Schatz.
I'm not arguing that the Andreas mic is great. RB has one and I trust him.

My "bitchy" responses are to set the record straight on what I view as uneducated comments on your part. I understand, you want to justify how your modern purchases are much better than the "crazy collectors items". You've been very vocal about it in the past. For you, vintage equipment is a very risky path full of issues and headaches at every corner. For me, and please let me speak with some authority on the subject, it is not. Unfortunately you can't really see my point of view because you've never owned any. And that's my issue.

I just went and spoke to my 47... Let the slutz judge if indeed - and I quote: "A vintage 47 has so much noise that I would not choose it for some critical applications like f.e. voice recording for audio books".
Attached Files

47 Noise Test.wav (1.68 MB, 943 views)