View Single Post
Old 6th December 2010 | Show parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz ➡️
Because way down there, you lose a huge amount of fader resolution -- becomes much harder to make small, accurate adjustments.

Because you're giving yourself now room to manoeuvre --- try putting a comp like the Waves V-comp on a track that's peaking at 10dbfs -- you'll pin the GR meter --- now I realise that what you would do would be to pull it's input gain all the way down, but that will make that comp sound much different compared to hitting it with a more reasonable level.

Don't you ever get any problems with noise either? Say you've got a project with say 70 tracks ---- are you telling me that after you've normalised them all to 0dbfs, on playback, you don't hear more noise than you'd like?

Why do you need everything to be up at 0dbfs anyway? Not everything in your mix needs to be that loud, so why go through an extra step before you start mixing, when you're gonna have to turn 3/4 of the elements you previously turned up, down again?! And as someone already pointed out --- do you crank distorted guitar up to 0dbfs? If so, I'd imagine you have quite a time hearing anything else......
You don't seem to be getting what I'm saying at all. Once again, I use the faders to keep tracks where they need to be in the mix. Pre-fader I run close to 0db peak in the virtual signal chain, and adjust the input and output of plugins accordingly. I don't hit the master with 70 tracks of 0db peak. This is obvious from my posts, so why are you going there?