thread: FATSO / HEDD
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2003

-- Getting there, but not quite ok yet.

Jules, you don't consider tape and valve simluation to be different forms of 'character'?

While mics, pres, boards, etc. all have character, we're missing a step. It's often the TUBE mic's design that gives it character, and that's gotta be true for tape machines and consoles as well (considering there are both tube and solid state driven types of each).

The FATSO and HEDD share a few 'coloration' features that are relevant to their reason for existing. I think that goes beyond "clipping off the HF transient edge" and over to realm of character (if tubes etc. are considered 'character' enhancing implements). Make sense?

With that in mind, my question is more or less aimed at how these two boxes compare to eachother within those 'colorizing' functions. I expect the FATSO to be more over the top, because that's what EL is known for.

It would be cool to figure out which of the boxes is more useful for adding character to tracks/mixes. If they're both doing basically the same thing and the FATSO just has a few more distortion modes than the HEDD, I would only go for the HEDD if it sounds more 'refined'.

I may well be splitting hairs here, but that's what I'm trying to find out.