View Single Post
Old 26th May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSTA ➡️
We are not talking about replacement here. We are talking about the initial purchase, or no purchase. The bottom line is that intellectual property is still property.

Money was spent for its development, marketing, etc……….

People just have to respect that, whatever the cost may be – a few dollars or a few thousand dollars.

Let me ask you something:

Let’s say that you find out that it costs Nike only $15 to make a product overseas and to ship it to the store nearest you. You go out to the store to purchase it and see a price tag of $250.

Is that not an unfair price tag for a $15 product?

Would you steal it?

No, you would most likely buy something else. Why couldn’t people do that with software?

If it is too expensive or you don’t like how the company treats its customers, then buy something else. Don’t steal it.

Is that too much to ask?
considering the nike userbase i wouldn't put it past most of them to try stealing a few pairs...

anyways, one of the biggest gripes i have in regards to software is licensing, and the eula's. it seems like every eula i read essentially says "if we don't like the way you look, we can take your license (which you paid a reasonable chunk of your paycheck for) away, permanently" and while i'm never doing anything unreasonable with my license (even if it may be against the eula, for example running a copy of software x on MY pc that's in my bedroom, and MY mac that's in my other room. i'm not sure if that's against any of the eula's on any of my universal software but i am pretty sure it's against the flstudio eula, but that won't run on osx so it doesn't matter)

point being, as long as i have a license for my software i should have access to it (even if i lose my discs) and while i realize it costs money to create the discs, i would have no problem paying for a replacement set of discs if they were priced reasonably (for example $5-$15, because quite frankly forking out $50 for replacement discs to a piece of software i have a license to just seems ridiculous) and even at that a good portion of the software i have licenses to with the exception of battery (which would use up a substantial amount of bandwidth to download from a server) are perfectly capable of being delivered in a downloadable format.

because, y'know, when we buy "software" we're not actually buying the software, we're just paying for a revokable license to use said software whereas with nike shoes you're actually purchasing the shoes, and when you get those shoes home you can tear them apart and use the soles for whatever you want.