View Single Post
Old 15th February 2009 | Show parent
The Korg Oasys

1st, I have heard on more than one forum that the Oasys has been discontinued.
So that right there may be all you need to know.

I own a full blown 88 version (all upgrades and 2 gig ram)
I paid $7,500 for it new.

To be fair, I have read thru the replies in here and it quite frankly it shocks me as to the amount of stupidity which exists here. Most who hate it have never owned one, others
compare it to a Kurzweil or suggest building a small project studio instead, others will try to make you believe their $1500 PC is far superior to an 8 processor Mac Pro, my personal fav' was the guy who told you to find a used Fairlight or Synclavier.

They are all wrong.

The Oasys is NOTHING like a Triton, owning both, I can assure you of that.
Aside from some similarities in how they have certain pages set- up, that is it.

The power in the Oasys is immense but accessing it is another issue entirely.
Anyone who tells you how easy it is to use is not utilizing what it can do.
If you don't have need for all of the function of the Oasys, then yes you would be ill-advised to buy one. So its only expensive if you are buying things you dont need. I don't know of anyone personally who takes full-advantage of the ALL of the functions- me included, not even close.

The Bad stuff:
The interface is clumsy and slow. Even with the big screen they defer to tons of abbreviated words when they didnt need to. Touching certain small parameters on the screen is tricky. Simple routing of FX and patches can be confusing. Karma is for people who have a LOT of spare time on their hand for fully implementing all of the functions in a REAL useful patch is going to take you some time to understand.
There is a lot of Korg-only type language you have to get around. Building patches from scratch is VERY labored. My Oasys takes nearly 3 minutes to power up.
While some of the synth plug-ins are ultra cool- navigating their parameters and editing them quickly for results is frustrating.
I wouldn't use it live- its 80 lbs, a little fragile, and you don't want this thing anywhere near smoke or excessive vibration. Factory patches, for the most part are lame and useless despite some of them exhibiting an enormous amount of skilled programming.
Sampling is useless. The Sequencer is a total joke. The 1000 page main manual explains nothing and has no glossary or search index. Keyboard re-strike action is horrible- i.e. trying to play the same note in rapid succession, uh uh, aint gonna happen.

The Good Stuff:
Sounds great- especially the EX patches. The filters are the best I have heard in a Rompler. If you have the patience you can make amazingly detailed patches with enormous live control. Layer them in combi mode and its potential is stunning. The onboard FX are excellent and you can run 12 of them at a time and access them externally. Built in vocoder and mic input, generous i.o.

Summary,
Can you make the Oasys into a one-stop studio-well yes sort of. But the lengths you would have to got to, to get real results in a timely fashion hardly make it worthwhile.
Mine has been relegate to just another keyboard in my studio and I'd bet money that most other owners have done the same. So was it worth the $7500 I paid? No, but I'd say its easily worth $4,000 to me. If you want a great keyboard/synth to program as JUST that, then the Oasys is worth having but only if you can find one used in good shape at a good price.