View Single Post
Old 26th November 2007
Founder CD Baby

Smile how I can be a featured artist on the iTunes home page

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMJAZZ ➡️
how I can be a featured artist on the iTunes home page
hi Rob!

The question is not that different from, "How can I be on the cover of Rolling Stone?" The iTunes Music Store is one of the most coveted spots in the music industry and everyone is fighting for it.

To Apple's credit, they really just pick stuff they feel best about. Those are not paid slots.

We have a full-time promotions person who has a great relationship with Apple and talks to them a few times a week, letting them know about CD Baby artists who have specific things going on. Quite a few times, this has resulted in front-page placement. Other times, out of the blue, they just tell us they'd like to feature someone on the front page that they just heard in our catalog and loved.

So, there's no science to it. But we're on it.

My best advice is to focus on facts and specifics, not your personal opinion of your music.

Instead of saying, "iTunes should feature me because I'm really good", try, "iTunes should feature me because my song is in the new ___ movie that opens in 3 weeks, and I'm the opening act on Norah Jones European tour."

And just to be mischevious, I'm going to give out our promotion guy's email here : he's [email protected] and he's the senior employee at CD Baby. I've worked with him for 8 years and he's great. Feel free to email him about any specific events or pertinent facts that he could use to forward to our digital retail outlets like iTunes.