View Single Post
Old 8th November 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibben ➡️
Seems lots of folks totally missed his point. Either they did not watch it or he made them so defensive they stopped listening.

The only thing he’s saying is that some things affect tone a lot and some things less so or not at all. He’s upfront with the fact it’s just his home made tests that you take at face value and he never claims any objective truth.

Pickups, amount of gain, shape and size of cab; all these things make a big difference. But some things that people sweat over, like guitar finish have little or no influence.

Of course any change makes some kind of difference. And even minuscule differences taken together can impact tone. BUT, and that’s the point, if the amount of gain you feed you amp makes 75% of the character and the fabric of grill cloth makes 0.05%, wise people will spend their time improving playing technique rather than chasing down a rare piece of equipment.

The music industry is so full of superstition and snake oil peddlers it seems like the middle ages at times. He’s a gigging musician and I guess he just wanted to ask the question if he really needs to haul around fifty different guitars and amps. To many people, judging from the popularity, his answer was a liberating one. But I guess to a small number of elitist snobs it was like a kick in the balls.
So, this is a video made for total newbies who obsess over nitro finish and grill cloth fabric thinking that they make huge differences? I think seasoned players know this, and don't get caught up in this crap. This is not news. You haven't read or understood the thread if you think that people here dismissing this video are elitist snobs who were taken to school by this guy.

He spent a lot of time and effort here creating a video that says nothing to any guitarist who gigs a few nights a week and understands his or her gear. When I see something like that happen, it's a flag. Note that he does pretty much null everything, until he gets to that thing he put together that he claims make an 80% difference in tone. He is ramping up to sell something with this video. Maybe that "tackle box" that's sponsored by his PayPal email address? The 80% thing?