View Single Post
Old 8th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the three mdat files attached below. It contains measurements taken today.

The speaker positions to the front wall and side walls remain fixed at 42cm and 103cm, respectively, and the mic position is fixed at 130cm from the back wall. All I did was change the treatments in the room.

The 'All treatments in room' measurements were taken with all treatments in the room (corner traps, 244 side wall absorbers and Monster rear wall absorbers).
The 'Side wall treatments removed' measurements were taken with the side wall absorbers removed.
The 'Side wall and back wall treatments removed' measurements were taken with the side wall and back wall absorbers removed.

It's pretty obvious that the less panels there are in the room, the worse the ETC and decay times become.

What's not so obvious however is whether the frequency response is better or worse with the absorbers in place? Indeed I think you could argue that the overall FR is better without the absorbers!!

The listening experience is certainly very different. I was expecting it to sound horribly smeared and echoey but it actually isn't too bad, in fact I quite like how the presentation is more enveloping and high frequencies linger a little longer.

Room treatment advice and help interpreting GIK's published lab results-rt60-side-back-vs-side-vs-bare.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Room treatment advice and help interpreting GIK's published lab results-fr-side-back-vs-side-vs-bare.jpg   Room treatment advice and help interpreting GIK's published lab results-rt60-side-back-vs-side-vs-bare.jpg  
Attached Files