Quantcast
Gearspace.com - View Single Post - Why do so many samples of chords exist?
View Single Post
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin night ➡️
....Another thing that comes to my mind are those cheap fan organs. I had a Bontempi as young kid in the eighties... I think they are “iconic” of a certain time... well, anyway, mine (but also other models that I saw online) had a section on the left with buttons which played... chords!!! I don’t know if that is just a feature of those fan organ or if it has a deeper history/reason, anyway I thought it was worth to mention it in this thread just for perspective...
Yeah, like Magnus Chord Organ, the fan organ maker who published "Sheet Music Magazine", which featured easy sheet music for songs that an old lady in the 1980s would want to play. I have an issue where Sequential took out a large ad for the Pro 1.

But anyway, I think Casiochords and the buttons on the "chord organs" both are twigs from the electronic home organ evolutionary tree, with their fancy auto-accompaniment. Those chord buttons were as close as you were going to get to auto-accompaniment, if you were using a vacuum cleaner powered organ.

With the Casios, the one finger chord option was in the same section, different notch on the same switch even, as the auto-accompaniment. One finger for a major chord, 2 for minor, 3 fingers for 7th chords (the lowest of your three fingers defines the chord's root note. It doesn't matter which higher notes the other 2 fingers play - as long as they're within the lower split of the keyboard, you'll get a dominant 7th chord). 4 fingers will trigger either aug or dim, I forget which, but either one is kinda silly - 4 fingers will get you a 3 note chord! But, the extra finger means you don't have to learn how to play the chord in that key, the way it works. Just play the root, and any 3 higher notes below the split.

The real benefit was that you could play really fast chord changes that way. Casiochords with the crappy piano preset would choke each other with a groove that reminded me of the fast chords in the Prodigy Experience album... but the Casio version, since there weren't any fx. I think it was because Casiochords were limited to one chord, of one type, at a time, by the nature of how you input them. If you changed them fast, it made the piano sound even more fake but much more intense than normal. If you changed them really fast, it got glitchy. You could get mostly just the attack portion, the beginning of the chord, with the notes perfectly stacked. It was much more intense sounding than when I played the Casio normally. So, even if you could play the real chords yourself, there was a reason to use the easy chords.

I think arranger keyboards and wersis and electones became the most vital direct branch of that home organ evolutionary lineage. KARMA and iarp are these isolated limbs on the tree. Things like chord samples probably belong to the lineage that springs from the early tape instruments, up through the digital samplers, to today.

I guess MIDI chord packs must be some sort of a Frankenstein abomination genetically engineered between the 2 lineages. Everyone should steer clear, until we find out whether they kill brain cells.