thread: Downmixers....
View Single Post
Old 11th February 2021

Apologies for the thread necromancy here but since I moved from macOS to Windows the one thing I could not bring along with me was my trusty Spanner which saddens me to no end, and I have taken every opportunity I can to advocate for a Windows version to no avail...

So I purchased the Halo Downmix plugin. The first thing I noticed when activating the Netflix preset on the 5.1 to 2.0 version of the plugin is that my dialog was way too low, which led me to feed some -20dBFS 2KHz tone through both the Avid Downmixer and Halo Downmix with identical settings, specifically the center channel set to -3dB to see if there was any difference and the difference between them was 6dB.

The Avid Downmixer's tone in the 2.0 aux reads -23dB in both channels, while the Halo Downmix's tone reads -29dB!

I'm thinking there has to be something I'm doing wrong or not understanding here like the use of panning law because in my mind there is no way there should be any kind of difference between the two in terms of center channel level. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here? Screenshot attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Downmixers....-halo-dm-vs-avid-dm.jpg