View Single Post
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleida ➡️
Certainly would! Klaus Heyne estimated it would cost $500k for a manufacturer to tool up for VF14 production. Seems like a risky proposition even for a company like Neumann. If they sold new U47s for $10k like Telefunken does and made a 50% margin, that would take 1,000 mics to break even. At that price point, I bet it would take a few years to be hitting that kind of volume. Perhaps they could sell the tubes on their own to supplement. I believe they’ll do it right if they’re going to do it and it certainly could make sense if they have a long term vision.
I can't speak to the figures, but yeah. I was imagining they'd sell the tubes on their own as well to help people maintain their vintage mics and also to builders making their own mics (perhaps someone would even base a totally different mic around it). Who knows, though. I have a Heiserman and it runs on EF800. Sounds really good and pretty damn close to a U47 to my ear. Neumann could very well find a suitable alternative that's more common.