View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2019
Airwindows

Quote:
New “Armed” setting
This new option changes the way sequencer and arpeggiator of KeyStep behaves when it receives clock signals. This can be toggled “on” and “off” in the MIDI Control Center.

• ON: the user arms the sequencer by pressing Play. When armed, an incoming clock signal will start the sequencer. Otherwise, KeyStep will stay in STOP mode. In this mode, the incoming clock will be transmitted even when the internal sequencer isn't playing.

• OFF: the sequencer will automatically play and send clocks when an external clock signal is received on the selected clock source.
Which mode is different from the original firmware? I know I sometimes have horrible troubles with mine. I've got a whole bank of Keysteps slaved off an Axoloti for elaborate live sequencing, but very often the Keysteps will start up in a broken mode where they can't record without getting stuck notes and extraneous notes being added. They're sending MIDI but the same is true over the CVs, and are taking in clock and repeated notes assigned to key changing the Keysteps. It seems like if the Keystep starts up while one of these notes is playing but before the note off, it dies (though I can't be completely sure that's the reason).

If I powercycle the thing while the Axoloti is still sending clock (I'm doing livestreams so shutting down the whole system isn't convenient) it won't necessarily start up and immediately play sequences (it'll be hearing clock and notes the whole time) but will sometimes work and often be broken and not working/going insane with extraneous notes and missing note offs.

It sounds like in both cases it'll send clock regardless, but in ARMED ON mode the sequencer doesn't try to play instantly? Instead it waits for Play and transmits clock regardless? How does it react to MIDI note on or offs in the absence of Play? I don't need it to auto-play the instant it gets a clock, so this might be a bugfix for me if ARMED ON is the new mode.

Brownian arpeggiation could produce interesting generative music, particularly at slow tempos

It'll be very exciting if all this leads to better reliability for banks of Keysteps. Mine drive me crazy with their unreliability, but I am sure it's down to me presenting them with conditions that break them: if I wasn't doing ambitious things like trying to cyclically key change numerous sequencers each of which might have completely different sequence lengths, they'd probably be better-behaved.

Wish I could have the ability to program the firmware myself. I'd want to key change stuff within diatonic scales, rather than being forced to just chromatically shift all the Keysteps in parallel. That's cool but can get rather atonal and hard to track: diatonically shifting everything would be more melodious.