View Single Post
Old 25th February 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
You’re right in the sense that someone’s opinion about basically anything will probably say more about the person than the thing. I also have no doubt that 90% of the differences between a Prophet 6 and a Prophet 5 are due to feature differences and parameter ranges. The other 10% come from component and design differences... but my point is that there is some difference. Your “about the same” is someone else’s “very different.” Personally, I’m with you in that I don’t really care that much about that difference and the modern features of the 6 more than compensate for any lack of “mojo,” which I also don’t really believe is a “lack” but just a difference.

I also think that a lot of people miss out on things because they’re hoping they can get their Prophet 08 to sound like a 6... and even a 5. I was even a bit guilty of that and found that having a 6 and an 08 (welll, my dual Tetra version) made me like both of them more because I could more easily dismiss each of their issues because where one was weak, the other was strong. I found a demo where a guy tries to show how his Peak could take the place his Behringer Model D, and then, to my ears, goes about proving how impossible that is. Not sure what he was thinking, though recently I’ve been paring down and I was thinking that I might find one VCO based mono that would be my only, and I failed. The contender, a Dominion 1, had been reported to “not sound like a Moog,” and I found that opinion to be in line with what I discovered. I spent a few days attempting to approximate patches I made on my ATC-X while using it’s 24 db ladder filter. I made some really great sounds, but none that could come close to the Studio Electronics synth. Those differences might not matter to you, but they do to me, so I keep both synths. I keep things like that in mind when someone tells me that their beloved vintage synth sounds totally different than anything modern. The amount of difference isn’t the issue, it’s the amount of care about that difference.
Yes I agree, my point is just that most new to synth's can get wrapped up in folks here dismissing synth's that don't cost three grand or higher when the differences are usually pretty small of like synth's, I'm not saying a Moog sounds like a sequential's sound or something. But I do think allot of analog synth's sound somewhat the same on a newbie level. All of these choices sounds good though.. pro5 loves to make them seem like they all will break your ears or something.