View Single Post
Old 25th February 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja ➡️
As time goes on I find I care less and less about this forums "opinions". I have heard for the past year how much better the vintage prophet 5 is to my prophet 6 and the past week I have had the luck to make a friend that actually owns a prophet 5 and spent allot of time on it. I have found despite all the "opinions" they basically sound the same to me.. none of the vintage mojo or oscillator wobble people love to rant on and on about, they sound about the same, like a synthesizer, they both sound like a harmonica untell you start messing with it just like any other analog.. I mean there are small differences but nothing Earth shattering, I have been pretty eyes open about the whole experience and I think most people are just full of it, just get the synth you want and make music, everything else is academic, wine sniffing by folks that spend time polishing synth's rather than playing them. I bet the rev2 sounds great or the prologue, I haven't played them but most expensive synth's sound good, that is the point right? They are not gonna sound bad.
You’re right in the sense that someone’s opinion about basically anything will probably say more about the person than the thing. I also have no doubt that 90% of the differences between a Prophet 6 and a Prophet 5 are due to feature differences and parameter ranges. The other 10% come from component and design differences... but my point is that there is some difference. Your “about the same” is someone else’s “very different.” Personally, I’m with you in that I don’t really care that much about that difference and the modern features of the 6 more than compensate for any lack of “mojo,” which I also don’t really believe is a “lack” but just a difference.

I also think that a lot of people miss out on things because they’re hoping they can get their Prophet 08 to sound like a 6... and even a 5. I was even a bit guilty of that and found that having a 6 and an 08 (welll, my dual Tetra version) made me like both of them more because I could more easily dismiss each of their issues because where one was weak, the other was strong. I found a demo where a guy tries to show how his Peak could take the place his Behringer Model D, and then, to my ears, goes about proving how impossible that is. Not sure what he was thinking, though recently I’ve been paring down and I was thinking that I might find one VCO based mono that would be my only, and I failed. The contender, a Dominion 1, had been reported to “not sound like a Moog,” and I found that opinion to be in line with what I discovered. I spent a few days attempting to approximate patches I made on my ATC-X while using it’s 24 db ladder filter. I made some really great sounds, but none that could come close to the Studio Electronics synth. Those differences might not matter to you, but they do to me, so I keep both synths. I keep things like that in mind when someone tells me that their beloved vintage synth sounds totally different than anything modern. The amount of difference isn’t the issue, it’s the amount of care about that difference.