View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolP ➡️
Dear fellow sluts, first of all happy holidays!

I could get a DSI Rev2 for a fair price and I am contemplating to buy it but since I never really have had any analog or even hardware synths (only played them a bit in stores and other studios) my question is if it would give me a new palette, more organic sounds and something extra that I do not get from virtual instruments. I am producing pop, some hip hop and some edm.
I started venturing into hardware synths a few years ago, after 10+ years in-the-box. Here's what I learned:
  1. You won't necessarily make any sounds you can't make with software, other than the nuances of that specific synthesizer (just like when you pick up a new VST synth) and...
  2. That special 'analogue warmth' that everyone bangs on about. It's addictive, but it's super subtle - it's like audio cigarettes
  3. Touching knobs really does count for a lot, whether you think it will or not. It changes the decisions you make while creating music, and therefore changes the outcome of the music. I find it to be more inspired when I am physically interacting with something
  4. Make sure that you have an actual use in mind for the thing you're buying, rather than just a "want" for it. Don't buy something because it is analogue, for example. Buy it because you can envisage what you'll use it for.
  5. As per my last point, do your research. Read a lot about a lot of different synths. Pick the one that you can see working with your creative flow the best, and the one that you can see being the most useful

I was torn between the Rev2 and the Peak earlier this year. For me, the Peak won, because the filter sounds fatter, it can do wavetables and linear FM, and has 3 analogue distortion stages which cover everything from warmth to the apocalypse. I've not regretted it for a second. The Rev2 is a fantastic synth, but they are very different. Get the one that speaks to you the most.