Quantcast
Gearspace.com - View Single Post - 720K Floppy Emulator to USB - Has anybody tried one?
View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by giulio cesare ➡️
Hy,

thanks for your info. I want to change the fdd on my MC50.

1- I've found the gotek720kb drive on amazon. If I buy it, I can to install it directly on MC50 or I must to install (on it) another drive, first of replacement? In this case, what I must to install ?

2- for your notes about the disk image, Ive bought recently the MC50 with only one diskette, without files on it. What I must to do ? I have a PC with WIN10 but without FDD :( Is it possibile to have (by mail) the image for the usb pen drive?

3- the final, last, question The alphanumerical display in your post is intersting. Where I can to buy it?

Thank you for your patience

Best regards

Giulio
Hi Giulio,

1- You don't need a "special" 720kb version of the Gotek drive for FlashFloppy! Any of the actual Gotek drives are based on the same microprocessor but the hardware layout might be different between the 720kb and 1,44mb versions. The developer of FlashFloppy explained it on Gotek Compatibility * keirf/FlashFloppy Wiki * GitHub with "Since the fixed-format (720kB vs 1.44MB) stock firmware is being replaced, this particular distinction between Gotek models is irrelevant: all of them can handle an almost infinite range of disk formats with FlashFloppy installed.".
So go for the cheapest actual Gotek drive with a 3 digits display you can find on Amazon or eBay and start without modifications like an OLED display or rotary encoder. If it works fine with the standard 3 digits display you can have a look on Hardware Mods * keirf/FlashFloppy Wiki * GitHub and decide about things you might need.
Minimum requirements to get the Gotek programmed with the FlashFloppy firmware are: a MS Windows based computer with Win7 or Win10, a USB A to USB A cable, a soldering iron and the required files and apps. Just read the instructions on Going Gotek - FlashFloppy How To - exxos Atari Forum and decide wether you will do it by yourself or ask someone how could do it for you. You will find a lot of videos about programming the Gotek drives and all the possible modifications on YouTube also.

2- If you successfully updated the Gotek drive with the FlashFloppy firmware you just need an USB stick (4GB will be fine), format it with FAT32 format and unzip and copy the disk image file(s) onto it. The attached file is just formatted with the Roland MC50 format and does not contain any data! It is only important to have the Roland format in a 720kb image available for the FlashFloppy drive. You can put as many of the images onto the USB stick as you need and give them a name like "Disk001.img", "Disk002.img" and so on. I didn't check if the 3 digits display requires a specific name because the OLED display modification will show you the complete filename and does not require a special numbering. With the buttons of the Gotek drive (or the optional rotary encoder) you can select the images you need and do the MC50 operations with it (format disk, rename disk, load and save songs). At best try it with one image first and you will see if it works without errors. Don't expect a performance like formatting a USB stick on a PC - the FlashFloppy emulates a real floppy drive and the increase of performance is not the main purpose! The FlashFloppy solution will give you a. the possibilty to use an actual media (USB stick) for saving and archiving your work onto a non-mechanical media and b. to access more than 1 floppy disk without changing disks.

3- Any modifications you might need should follow after you successfully passed step 1 and 2.

Kind regards from Berlin

Diceman63
Attached Files
File Type: zip RolandMC-50_EmptyDisk.zip (2.6 KB, 95 views)