View Single Post
Old 12th June 2007 | Show parent

Special guest

This is a very difficult topic!

Some years ago, at the start of the technology surge, I was very certain that the rapid development of music industry courses was a good thing. Now I am not so sure!

Quite frankly I believe that there are now too many courses available with an emphasis towards the areas of the industry that are significantly oversubscribed.

For instance there is a great need for people in the live sector and certainly we need more artist managers, but I often find myself looking at a room full of aspiring engineers who will find it very difficult to find the sort of job they want.

In all honesty there may not be more people wanting to work in studios than when I started but perhaps the filtering mechanism of having no other way to get started than pure determination coupled with a bit of luck, helped to maintain a balance. Now, because so much government emphasis is placed on 'providing' opportunity (mostly to keep employment statistics looking healthy!) a completely different landscape has emerged.

Together with APRS, the MPG believes that many of the courses available offer excellent grounding and some time ago joined the initiative to give some indication to prospective students (and their parents) and prospective employers of the industry relevance and worth of the various courses available.

This began with the course accreditation programme which is now firmly established as a benchmark for the educational establishments to work towards.

Our aim from the start was to avoid being too judgemental in our approach to this and we always stress that our role is to support and advise from an industry perspective.

During this process we also identified the need for a clear point of contact between the industry, education and government that would give us a stronger more democratic voice and at the same time safeguard the interests of those of us who strive to make a living from working with music or aspire to do so.

It became immediately evident that this would work two ways and also enable us to give colleges access to the wealth of experience from the many engineers and producers still working in the industry.

We have therefore created a new organisation J.A.M.E.S. (joint Audio Media Education Services) – http://www.jamesonline.org