View Single Post
Old 11th August 2017
MJB
Lives for gear

Great video Eric! It's bee a long time since I checked in here. I have the IkMultimedia Ampeg plug-in, with a bunch of Ampeg amps, including the B15. I happen to have the same bass amp as one of the plugs, and I swear, they sound the same, except for the hum of the amp. So I don't feel I need the UAD version too.

I typically don't find plug-ins sound the same as what they're modeling, so this was a surprise to me. I never would have thought to use it for guitar though, and the sound you got was pretty good.

I have the Apollo 8 now with the Quad satellite. I'm doing a shootout with the Unison 1073 plug-in and the Stam Audio SA73, which is a true to the original clone of the Neve. The UAD plug sounds quite good until you compare. There's a huge difference in the low end, and I wouldn't feel comfortable saying the plug sounds like the preamp. It just sounds good its own way, but doesn't come close to the Stam sound.

I can see how the Unison 1073 could be very useful if you were tracking a drum kit though.