View Single Post
Old 14th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Great, now I'm really going to have to get an Apollo and start collecting plugins for it!

Thanks for the info and thanks for 'It's a Wonderful Life' - very significant album for me when I was growing up :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHamilton_ ➡️
Hi there!
There are techniques that I constantly try to refine every time I record something-- which thankfully is like every single day.
The stuff I do works quite well with the UAD stuff because it responds well to creative usage.
The fact that the UA stuff combined with outboard gear and a console is such a great unique sound but also I can count on the UAD 660 working every day and not freaking out and sounding different on day 2 of a mix... is truly amazing.
Also the unison stuff has been a thing that freaks me out in a good way: put a 610 up on the horns and let it RIP into the converter and what I got was a sound that brought Vintage goodness to mind rather than "oops I clipped the crap out of this one" to mind.
Also I will run an internal sux in protools sometimes and use the BX20 UAD plug coming out of a pair of channels, using it like a hardware return, A LOT. I will EQ the return on the channels on my console (like a high pass or whatever) and it just feels so alive--- there is something great about those verbs that goes beyond the obvious modeling stuff...